Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
jonwormwood
Human being with feelings

Default How to side chain the JS: LITEON/DESSER?

I want to side chain this to a guitar buss for when the leads come in. Crazy I know but sounds great, takes the edge off the rhythm.

Heck i'd be coo to side chain an EQ to take some out around 2-3k under vocal parts...
jonwormwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
chriscomfort

The quick answer: Parameter modulation. Search for it in the pdf manual. Would also work on your EQ idea. For the deesser, I'd work with either the Threshold or the Wet knob, which is in the upper right corner. For the EQ, I'd work with the Gain for a 2-3 kHz band. Select "Audio control signal" in either case. You would set up the send from your side-chain channel as
"Audio 1/2=>3/4" and send it to your destination. Then, in the Parameter Mod window, select 3/4 in your Track audio channel.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
jonwormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
The quick answer: Parameter modulation. Search for it in the pdf manual. Would also work on your EQ idea. For the deesser, I'd work with either the Threshold or the Wet knob, which is in the upper right corner. For the EQ, I'd work with the Gain for a 2-3 kHz band. Select "Audio control signal" in either case. You would set up the send from your side-chain channel as
"Audio 1/2=>3/4" and send it to your destination. Then, in the Parameter Mod window, select 3/4 in your Track audio channel.
Ah that make sense. That you so much!
jonwormwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
jonespnice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
The quick answer: Parameter modulation.
I haven't worked a heck of a lot with Parameter Modulation but when I tried it before, for side-chaining, it didn't give me exactly the same results as I am accustom to using conventional side-chaining. I'm sure it is something that I'm not doing right but what is your experience with using Parameter Modulation for side-chaining?
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote