Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
ron-e-g
Human being with feelings

Default File missing?

Recently On most of my Reaper projects I'm getting This; I have not deleted any files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error window.JPG (48.4 KB, 649 views)
ron-e-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron-e-g View Post
Recently On most of my Reaper projects I'm getting This; I have not deleted any files.
Have you already checked if the file still exists in the shown "...\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media" folder? Or if the folder path itself is still valid?
Might be the case that you accidentally moved the file/folder to a different location or renamed it ...
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
ron-e-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Have you already checked if the file still exists in the shown "...\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media" folder? Or if the folder path itself is still valid?
Might be the case that you accidentally moved the file/folder to a different location or renamed it ...
Sorry I don't understand. Still exists in the shown "...\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media" folder? Or if the folder path itself is still valid? I have moved no folders or done any re-naming purposely. Odd thing is the missing files are always the guitar recordings. The drum Midi is always it seems still there.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
solger

Quote:
Sorry I don't understand. Still exists in the shown "...\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media" folder? Or if the folder path itself is still valid? I have moved no folders or done any re-naming purposely.
Your project seems to be located in the folder "..\Reaper Media\New Jam", but the missing file is expected to be in the folder "\All Recording related files\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media\10-17-130608_0956.wav" (I can't see the beginning of the file path in the screenshot).

So when you navigate to this folder, for instance, in the Windows File Explorer, can you still see the file there?

As a side note: When you saved the project, did you check the option Copy all media into project directory in the Save Dialog?

Last edited by solger; 06-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
solger

Quote:
Just to clarify: was opening these Reaper projects working before without any missing files problems? In this case, did anything change in general since then - like any (Reaper or other) updates ?

Last edited by solger; 06-01-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
ron-e-g

It says;F:\All Recording related files\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media\10-17-130608_0956.wav When I search the F drive "where I keep my Reaper project files" BTW. I can find no such file ( removed from reaper media).

Yes I can't ever remember seeing this missing file window so much. Seems to me if I had moved/deleted the project, it all would have gone. I had a failed update few days ago..lost HDD space but gained it back through lowering the space for restore ..eliminated some older restore points. Also by deleting some temp files. But this issue was evident before. Had some weird thing happen the other day can't really remember but was sorta a window upon opening reaper about couldn't save to Crograms reaper media or some such thing as that was nonsense! never saw that one before. Also a registry error I get that from IK multimedia Bull that changed some of their free vsti's Ono other thing about that time a warning about my reaper not being registered..that has never been the case!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
It says;F:\All Recording related files\Reaper Media\removed from reaper media\10-17-130608_0956.wav When I search the F drive "where I keep my Reaper project files" BTW. I can find no such file ( removed from reaper media).
Did you also try doing a general search on your computer for the "10-17-130608_0956.wav" file (to check if the file might be on a different drive)?

Maybe also check the View -> Project Media /FX Bay to see if the missing file is actually used in the Project ..

Quote:
I had a failed update few days ago..lost HDD space but gained it back through lowering the space for restore ..eliminated some older restore points. Also by deleting some temp files. But this issue was evident before. Had some weird thing happen the other day can't really remember but was sorta a window upon opening reaper about couldn't save to Crograms reaper media or some such thing as that was nonsense! never saw that one before. Also a registry error I get that from IK multimedia Bull that changed some of their free vsti's Ono other thing about that time a warning about my reaper not being registered..that has never been the case!
OK, then there is something strange going on, indeed ...

Which operating system are you using?
And when these warning messages, etc. happen again, can you maybe post screenshots?

Last edited by solger; 06-01-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
ron-e-g

At this point it's not so much the missing file, but rather why it's missing. This is a common problem so There is something going on. I can't remember the significance of the term "off line state" or however Reaper words it. Most of these projects are older and only scratch pad ideas not completed songs/projects. However, that's not really the point..what if they were!? You'll have to remind me what is Project Media /FX Bay. Also by general search you mean enter it in the Windows search box?

I'm on Win7 Ultimate.

Last edited by ron-e-g; 06-01-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
ron-e-g

While I was waiting for a response I brought "New Jam" back from the dead. Did as you suggested solger. Did a search of the computer. Found many copy's of the 10-17-130608_0956.wav file.
Once I directed the search to the (Exact) location it loaded it..two guitar tracks. I then saved it and now it's back! Wow..I have to do this with all the files missing? So, just about every project I have to go to the Back-up copy on the BU HDD to get it back. Then I get some that are requiring me to re authorize the different drum applications used! Really what's this all about? Some I get back like Superior Drummer but can't remember how to set paths for the three different library's specific to that program. Go's on, and on, and on, and..well you get the idea!

Last edited by ron-e-g; 06-01-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
I can't remember the significance of the term "off line state" or however Reaper words it.
Offline state means that Reaper can't find the source file in the expected location (to where the file or media item in the project points to). Hence there is no valid link and the file is missing or 'offline' inside the Project: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvpBbBDefk

Quote:
At this point it's not so much the missing file, but rather why it's missing. This is a common problem so There is something going on.
Quote:
Most of these projects are older and only scratch pad ideas not completed songs/projects. However, that's not really the point..what if they were!?
In general it might be the case that the files were initially recorded to a different or temporary folder which doesn't exist anymore. Or that the files were renamed or moved to a different location which caused that the links to these files inside the Reaper Project broke. And so on ...

That's where the option Copy all media into project directory in the Save Dialog comes in handy, so that all media files used in the project are copied into the project directory, as well.

Also check your recording path settings in general under Preferences -> General -> Path and File -> Project Settings -> Media: http://reaperblog.net/2013/07/reaper...le-management/

Quote:
You'll have to remind me what is Project Media /FX Bay.
The Project Bay basically lets you manage all Source and Media files, FX Parameters, etc. used in a Project: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#U8_fSWVH4qs

Quote:
Also by general search you mean enter it in the Windows search box?
Yes, using the search box in the Start Menu or Windows File Explorer: https://www.howtogeek.com/73065/lear...-in-windows-7/

Last edited by solger; 06-02-2017 at 01:46 AM.