Old 07-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
k!lowatt
Human being with feelings

Default Production Help

Hey There-

So, my use case for Reaper is a little odd. I've built a MIDI generating VST that creates entire movements on its own endlessly, and I route the MIDI output to my synths/drums. I then use the SHOUTCast plugin to broadcast the audio to the internet immediately. I don't record, and I don't mix aside from the initial configuration; the software runs unmonitored 24/7. The result, I suppose, is roughly analogous to an "endless album" - I call them generative streams. Right now, I have 2:

Facets:
http://www.staggeredlaboratories.com/facets-1/

Static Void
http://www.staggeredlaboratories.com/static-void-1/

You have to click the speaker at the top of the page to enable the audio (let me know if it doesn't work). My question is...when you guys listen, is there anything that stands out from a production standpoint as just consistently terrible? It's kind of hard to tell because there are so many random elements deciding what is happening at a given time. But I am NOT a producer and it's been ages since I spent any time in a studio. I'm a applications architect, developer and (I suppose) a composer of sorts, that's it.

Any of you experts have pointers, considering that the goal is not to get a perfect recording but to allow for any scenario that the software could possibly create and keep it within the realm of listenable? I know it's a weird proposition but figured I'd ask...thanks!

iTunes Radio: Staggered Laboratories - Facets
k!lowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I'm no expert, but that hihat is consistently terrible. It's like an annoying kid kicking me in the shins for attention. Overall the drums are too loud for how erratic they are.

Btw, have you checked this out? https://archive.org/details/ninjam I wonder how that software identifies the "interesting bits."
Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
k!lowatt

ooomf...thanks though.

i haven't really played around with NINJAM that much, mostly because everything i do is sort of...in abstraction and collaborating in a live performance setting isn't something I've given much consideration to. To be honest, I'm just now getting to the point where I can focus on the output - my concerns up until this point have really been more networking related.

I would be really interested in broadcasting MIDI for collaborators to consume. Just a live MIDI feed...thats basically what I'm built to contribute. I have a UI that allows me to re-trigger loops and mute various MIDI channels, but I really have no idea how it would translate to a live performance. I just bounce the stereo out for the stream; I'm assuming I'd need another implementation altogether for live...

Last edited by k!lowatt; 07-24-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Ah, I wasn't suggesting collaboration, just had the impression that the ninjam stream was somehow generative. Not sure how it works, maybe I'm mistaken.

But in terms of the listenablity of your streams, I think they just need something consistent (like a steady beat) to balance the random and erratic nature of everything and maybe some subtle modulation of the sounds with LFO's, to minimize the sense of repetition. In my previous post, I just meant the drums are too loud and draw too much attention by being often too random to follow.

Outputting steady, generative MIDI stream that people could plug into their own instruments would be handy though. Would be really helpful for dialing in sounds. Or it could be cool if those MIDI streams powered online sound modules with parameters that could be tweaked in realtime. Like a 24/7 collaborative knob tweak jam that only requires internet and some headphones.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
zeekat

Just remember: by helping OP you're making inevitable robot rule come even quicker.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Just remember: by helping OP you're making inevitable robot rule come even quicker.
I reckon they might be better suited to the task of ruling. It still won't impact my enjoyment of making music.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
k!lowatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I reckon they might be better suited to the task of ruling. It still won't impact my enjoyment of making music.
Lol yeah we could do worse no doubt.

This is really a result of my plugin having no dynamic capabilities. I'm not prepared to open that can of worms right now, but the fact is that every time a hihat (or anything else) is being hit, it's being hit with max velocity. That certainly isn't good or natural.

Anyone had any success with "humanizing" plugins? I guess the other option at least temporarily is to just slowly troubleshoot each drum kit (there are four loaded in the environment) against all of the possible synth presets. Should be fun...

Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
foxAsteria

cant you just turn down the drums? You could leave the the kick and possibly the snare as is, but just turn the rest down. Also, there are free drum synth plugins out there that do have velocity sensitivity and they could provide more sound variation as well, e.g. EXD-80. Humanizing plugins could work as well, but less so without velocity sensitivity (you'd have to humanize the output volume, which might sound less natural).
Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
k!lowatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
cant you just turn down the drums? You could leave the the kick and possibly the snare as is, but just turn the rest down. Also, there are free drum synth plugins out there that do have velocity sensitivity and they could provide more sound variation as well, e.g. EXD-80. Humanizing plugins could work as well, but less so without velocity sensitivity (you'd have to humanize the output volume, which might sound less natural).
Yeah, I think so. Its really just the overheads in AD 1 causing the problems. Even pulling the [mic'd] hihat way down...it's still crazy loud in the overheads. I'll have to mess with it but I should be able to come up with something.

On vacation for the rest of the week so I'll figure it out when I get home...thanks again for the help!