Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Pasajeromoronmoreno
Human being with feelings

Default Shift + left drag mouse modifier to Select time; odd behavior

I start to map my keystrokes and mouse modifiers from scratch,i can't go whit the defaults, and with the pussy changes i try so far. First Thing, selection of items with left drag. Ok. Second, Time selection with shift + left drag. And there i hit the wall, too fast for my expectatives. Ok The thing is; the mouse modifier work as expected when assigned to default (Mouse modifier: Select Time), left drag. If i put that action in Shift + Left drag, it behaves like the licecap in attachments.
What whit the random point for the start of the dragging, instead of the mouse cursor place in the moment of the click? I change it again for left mouse drag equal time selection and does what it's suppouse to do again. Change it again and do this thing.

Last edited by Pasajeromoronmoreno; 09-10-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Pasajeromoronmoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Here is the licecap, some trouble whit that too, first time, i expect it moves, like a movie whit very few frames ehhh? in my machine only internet explorer can make it, picassa insisted on show the gif as a static thing. Eppur si muove, diría Bill.
Gates, of course.

Edit: Ok, it's not uploading because reaper forum asks for less than 800x600, and licecap give me 934 x something. Ok, fair enough. i come back.

Last edited by Pasajeromoronmoreno; 09-10-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
foxAsteria

dont see any licecaps...anyway youll need to assign shift+left click to reset the time selection for shift+drag to work like you want. there is some weird "anchor" system with the time selection that's hard to explain and doesn't make any sense to me anyway.

essentially you need to use left click to clear the time selection before you can left drag to create a fresh one.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
dont see any licecaps...anyway youll need to assign shift+left click to reset the time selection for shift+drag to work like you want. there is some weird "anchor" system with the time selection that's hard to explain and doesn't make any sense to me anyway.

essentially you need to use left click to clear the time selection before you can left drag to create a fresh one.
Huh? Never needed to do that. Let's wait for the licecap.

You best upload it to some file hoster, for example the Reaper stash (use the "Resources" link up in the forum's header) and embed it as image in your post. That way you can use any file size.

Last edited by gofer; 09-10-2014 at 04:29 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Ok poofx, i try that, seems likes whats happening to me. Al margen, i can't with the licecaps. The forum first ask me for 800x600. Ok, made it. And then, the forum prompt me for a a gif less than 68 kb, and the capture it's like 600. I dont know how tu upload that thing.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

See my previous post.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasajeromoronmoreno View Post
Ok poofx, i try that, seems likes whats happening to me. Al margen, i can't with the licecaps. The forum first ask me for 800x600. Ok, made it. And then, the forum prompt me for a a gif less than 68 kb, and the capture it's like 600. I dont know how tu upload that thing.
https://stash.reaper.fm/
upload here and then copy the last link (i think) directly into your post. you can preview it first to see if it worked.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Pasajeromoronmoreno

jajaja! thanks gofer! i jump over you msj! ok, im uploading the licecap to the stash acoording to you and poofx recomendation. Link and licecap coming...
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Edit: Yeahhhh!
Edit 2: Totally random, you see? It's allways Shift + left drag. If i do the the same with the same mouse modifier but assigned only to left drag whitouth shift, behaves logically selecting form the click point to the releasing of the button.
Edit 3: Sometimes form the edit cursor, sometimes extending the left edge, sometimes the right, sometimes totally random spots; never from the click position one to the the release position mouse two, like in the normal behavior.

Last edited by Pasajeromoronmoreno; 09-10-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Huh? Never needed to do that. Let's wait for the licecap.
if you try to use shift drag to edit the time selection it doesnt always use the nearest edge to start it. i've always done this to get expected results.

if left click is set to extend time selection for instance, you wont be able to just shift drag a new time selection.

i guess you dont need to clear it first anymore, but dragging a time selection is not compatible with left click extend time selection at any rate.

always thought it was confusing that extending the time selection doesnt just use the nearest edge.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

Ah, I see. I don't have "extend time selection" assigned at all, but can imagine how it will mess stuff up if it's assigned to left click and the same modifier as "drag time selection".

For me "drag time selection always starts a new one, from where I start dragging to where I release the mouse button. If I want to extend an existing selection I prefer to grab the edge and drag that. I remember that I had the same gripes with "extend" using the wrong edge.

@ Pasajeromoronmoreno,
Check what is assigned to shift+left click. If it's "extend time selection", then that's the problem.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Ok, the thing it's simple. It's the same action, only diferent shortcuts... ???????

Edit: In right drag it's ok, in left drag it's ok. Shift + Left drag, nope.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Jajaja! ok, i think finally understand what you both are saying, my english it's very precarious; and my brain take some time to comprehend the meaning of the words. Yeah, I have assignded shift+ Left Click to extend the time selection. Ok, gonna try and report.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Simple as that, conflict of interests. Thank you very much for yor help.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
foxAsteria

Quote:
Thank you very much for yor help.
happy to.

and yea i dont understand the distinction between "track" and "arrange view" either.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
happy to.

and yea i dont understand the distinction between "track" and "arrange view" either.
Jejeje, a stupid one. I can't understand it either. You read my mind, think about that all the time i was struggling whit this, but too much words for my poor expresion, so don't feel to write about it. But yeah, annoying and stupid nonsense distinction, at least for these modifiers.

Why left drag and no right drag on track, and viceversa in arrange?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Quote:
Why left drag and no right drag on track, and viceversa in arrange?
that annoys me to no end. if you dont mind writing dont any weird missing things like that i want to start a separate thread for the complete list so hopefully that extremely useful feature can someday be finished and not full of holes.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
gofer
-blänk-

Track is on an existing track but not where an item is. Arrange is anywhere in that area, no matter whether there is an item or not. There can't be left button stuff for arrange, because it would conflict with "item" left button stuff.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
foxAsteria

ah thanks, that clears that up. still want to document the various other limitations ive encountered somewhere tho.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
Pasajeromoronmoreno

ok i see it now, the thing was more deep than my annoyment. Well explained gofer, nothing to add. Good To know, the logic in it makes the irritation go away.

Last edited by Pasajeromoronmoreno; 09-10-2014 at 07:08 PM.