Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
tkaitkai
Human being with feelings

Default ReaInsert on master track

Hey guys - I've searched for an answer to this, but to no avail.

I'm trying to route my entire mix through an outboard compressor using ReaInsert on the Master Track. I'm able to route the audio correctly without issue, so I can hear how the compressor is working and get it sounding the way I want.

Everything seems fine until I go to render the whole mix - the WAV is silent. My setup looks like this:

REAPER -> M-Audio MobilePre OUT 1 & 2 (interface) -> FMR RNC (compressor) -> Focusrite 2i2 INPUT 1 & 2 (interface) -> REAPER

I have a submix buss setup as a folder in Reaper, but ReaInsert crashes anytime I try to load it on this track. Works perfectly on the Master Track, it just won't print the compressed audio.

Is there a more effective way to do this? Should I set up hardware sends on the Master Track instead?

Thanks everyone!
tkaitkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
whiteaxxxe
Banned

I dont know, but you have at least to render in realtime I think. every other way of rendering cant make use of outboard gear. how should it?

I would suggest to try it ... rendering in realtime. or recording what is put out, what in fact is realtime rendering.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

as soon as you use analog gear during mix-down you will need to re-record the input of that processed signal on a new track. The signal has to travel in real-time through the processing and cannot be rendered in a fraction of a second.

Simply route Reaper's master out to your hardware comp and get the processed signal back into Reaper on a new track via a pair of free inputs. Switch monitoring OFF on this track to prevent it from running into the mix causing feedback. No need to use ReaInsert at all!

You might want to apply some final processing with plugins to the recorded master track (at least a digital peak limiter/maximizer which has an out ceiling set to -0.3 dB). To accomplish this, put the respective plugin(s) into the INPUT FX CHAIN of the track (and NOT into the usual track fx!). Set the record mode of the track to "record: output - stereo". This will make Reaper record the track including all the input fx AND volume automation. The volume automation lets you precisely fade your final master file "in advance" at the beginning and at the end.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote