Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Vertical Guide line from clicked position

I love the fact that each clip has vertical alignment guides when being dragged around, but I'd like to have the existing guide lines PLUS adding a 3rd which is the mouse position.

Example - the current vertical guide lines are on the head and tail of the clip, which is good for music and often sound effects as well. However, for me, I'm often trying to line up sound effects, which occur somewhere well within the clip, not the head and tail.

See the attached image, where the clip I'm trying to line up is a whoosh. I want to line it up so its apex occurs just BEFORE an impact on another track. So if I click on the apex of the whoosh to drag it into place, a much more useful guide would be where my mouse position is so I can drop it right before the impact.

The red line in the attached image represents where I would be clicking to drag and move that clip, and I'd love to see a guide line there as well as the head and tail of the clip.

Currently, I could trim the clip to the apex, move it using the existing guide lines, and then pull it back out again, but clearly thats 2 steps I'd rather not have to take each and every time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper mouse click guide line.jpg (52.3 KB, 228 views)
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
airon

I have the video following the snap offset for that exact reason. This provides you with a third guide line as well.

Preferences / Video lets you set that up.

I use two shortcuts to place the snap offset, which defaults to the beginning of the item.

One just places it wherever the edit cursor is on the selected items. Item: Set snap offset to cursor

The second is a custom action composed of
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor (no snapping)
Item: Select item under mouse cursor
Item: Set snap offset to cursor

If your keyboard repeat rate is high enough you can simply hover the mouse cursor over the desired spot while holding the key that triggers this custom action. This makes it convenient to place snap offsets visually for one item.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I have the video following the snap offset for that exact reason. This provides you with a third guide line as well.

Preferences / Video lets you set that up.

I use two shortcuts to place the snap offset, which defaults to the beginning of the item.

One just places it wherever the edit cursor is on the selected items. Item: Set snap offset to cursor

The second is a custom action composed of
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor (no snapping)
Item: Select item under mouse cursor
Item: Set snap offset to cursor

If your keyboard repeat rate is high enough you can simply hover the mouse cursor over the desired spot while holding the key that triggers this custom action. This makes it convenient to place snap offsets visually for one item.
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing - works a treat!

To be fair though, having a 3rd line that is simply where the mouse cursor is would be even faster. This method you describe certainly helps though. Maybe theres a mouse modifier that can speed this up...

Last edited by Ice; 10-01-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
boolin

crosshairs would be useful for me. noticed this more when working on audio for video. edits/cuts don't respect the grid in the same way as they do in pure audio based projects.

bonus features...

* toggleable-able
* theme-able

for an example, check https://www.tradingview.com/chart/

bump, and thanks for taking a fresh look at this!
boolin is offline   Reply With Quote