Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default Project Bay: Waveform preview

Hey folks, I've always done my post work for video using the Media Explorer but for this project I decided to create, finally, bays. Since the Media Explorer doesn't do a search inside all folders (you know, write in the filter something and it doesn't look inside all folders in your root folder), I created my bays but now I'm missing something else, a waveform preview heh I think I'll go back to the MEx because working without previews is a pain, much more than that filtering issue. Am I the only one missing that? Maybe someone created a FR for this already, please point me out to it if possible

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
airon
Human being with feelings

Yeah that would be nice.

I don't miss it in Protools because I <scream> never had it in Protools! </scream>

All the sound database programs do have something like this(Soundminer, Basehead, etc.), so it's great to have.

So far nobody has come up with a concept for where to put such a preview display.

In any case, I'm all for it, with select and drag methods similar to the ones in the media explorer please.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
beatbybit

+ CUE support, please.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
nofish

This reminds me of what was pointed out on some occasion in the v4 pre cycle, iirc. Maybe it would be good if the Project bay could be integrated/combined with the Media explorer in some way.

I mean waveform preview is a good example of what's already there in the ME, having the Media bay integrated there would probably solve the problem.
And we could use the search function *cough* for both, if it's there.

(I know these kind of statements are easily done without thinking it fully through - which I adimittedly haven't. So just a respectful thought)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
gwok

6 months later.....................

no offense - but where were you guys during the v4 cycle? I was rallying for this constantly, to no avail. The PB without a waveform overview is just crippling (as is the lack of "smart" foldering OT), and the lack of support for an overview showed how few people use it - probably because there's no overview.

where is a good place for it - anywhere on my monitor will do

though truly the best solution I've come up with is for the MEx's waveform to be multi purpose. Let it be floating or dockable, and show audio data for the MEx, PB and arrange window, whichever is in focus at that time. that would be the shit
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
airon

I didn't think Cockos would do it, that's all.

The media explorer .... maybe it could just use the same preview panel but in the project bay itself, but that would waste space PER bay.

Or just one panel, but where to place it.

Do you guys use a wide project bay or narrow. It's narrow for me every time, so an integrated preview panel would be quite small at the bottom I presume.

Would a small one be large enough ? As high as two or three entries in the list ?

Volume control with a knob is good enough for me. I might prefer a small button to say "Monitor through selected track". Just one button because only the source or the item tab is visible.

But if you prefer to reuse the media explorer panel you'll be blowing a lot of space on the often useless actual explorer portion.

What about a detached Preview display, movable, scalable, dockable ?
With the volume knob showing up on both the preview display window and the project bay.

A separate window for project bay previews and selection. How about it ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
that's what I'm saying - one overview is all that's needed - it can display whatever has the focus atm - (including selected items in the arrange window!)

Quote:
sad to say i agree
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
chriscomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
that's what I'm saying - one overview is all that's needed - it can display whatever has the focus atm - (including selected items in the arrange window!)
I really like the sound of this. +1000
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Mercado_Negro

Quote:

The media explorer .... maybe it could just use the same preview panel but in the project bay itself, but that would waste space PER bay.

Or just one panel, but where to place it.

Do you guys use a wide project bay or narrow. It's narrow for me every time, so an integrated preview panel would be quite small at the bottom I presume.

Would a small one be large enough ? As high as two or three entries in the list ?

Volume control with a knob is good enough for me. I might prefer a small button to say "Monitor through selected track". Just one button because only the source or the item tab is visible.

But if you prefer to reuse the media explorer panel you'll be blowing a lot of space on the often useless actual explorer portion.

With the volume knob showing up on both the preview display window and the project bay.

A separate window for project bay previews and selection. How about it ?
I never played with this project bay for media files, only for FXs, that's why I just noticed this. I had to do a lot of post work during the last 5 days and it was a nightmare because I could've created my bays and searching would've been easier... way easier, seriously, not looking inside folders really slowed me down a 70% or so, no kidding/exaggerating.

To be completely honest I don't care if it's a floating preview window which works for both, MEx and PB, I just want to select portions of my media files and insert them in my projects using the PB. That would've gave me more time with my daughter and saved me money, sigh.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
caseyjames

Every week I create and add comments to 600-1200 Project Bay items a week...

Build it to the moon
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote