Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
metallicaguy1
Human being with feelings

Default My metal song: Cthulhu Rising

Hey everybody, below is the link to a metal song I did. The playing, well, isn't good. Not really at all, but I'm not experienced at this. I think it turned out well for what it is. I'd like feedback, whether it's positive or negative. Thanks. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/troy-ray-mccombs/cthulhu-rising
metallicaguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
ropeadope

There is way too much reverb going on for a metal track. The drums seem quite distant and there's too much wash on the main vocal. Is the vocal supposed to sound drunk? Keep workin at it! Good luck.
ropeadope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
whiteaxxxe
Banned

sorry, there isnt much to enjoy. that is awful.

I cant be that helpful in a way that I can tell you what you could do to make it sound better. sorry, there is nothing you can do. except: try another one and forget about that track.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
bluetinstar

Yes, you are making a noise. It is not a pleasant noise. To me, it sounds like a noise that has not been constructed with any understanding or feeling for the construction of noise !
Don't know if that makes any sense to you, so if I can be more blunt, without being offensive, IMO it is rubbish !
Maybe you could spend some more time thinking and planning what you want to achieve with music production/sound production, and how you might create something that may have an appeal to your potential listeners/audience ?
Hope this is helpful crit !!
Fred
bluetinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
OpIvy

Some pretty harsh comments there...
but hey, don't worry about it- my first tunes were stink on a monkey!

The flaws in this song will be obvious if you compare it to a reference track. As suggested, listen to what makes a good song and think hard about how to achieve that sound on your next track.

....just don't make it worse!
Keep at it
Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
viscofisy

The fact that it sounds like you actually enjoyed making it puts it above a lot of the carefully crafted tired dross disguised as music posted on here.

Sounds like Zappa meets Beavis and Butthead to me.

Not a bad first attempt. Keep the spirit and improve the technique if you want an audience - otherwise just continue to enjoy it, as that's the most valuable thing in the long run.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
msundh

Hi
I'm not into metal but the comments lured me to take a listen.
What I liked about this is the punk attitude (fuck the schredders, I want to play too).
Keep this style and refine it and hopefully it will be brilliant.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
What I liked about this is the punk attitude (fuck the schredders, I want to play too).
Keep this style and refine it and hopefully it will be brilliant.
I agree on both counts! Don't pay any mind to the haters, everyone has to start somewhere and this is definitely not the worst attempt at metal I have heard. It has a garagey vibe to it that is actually pretty cool. Keep working on your playing and songwriting and take pride in your accomplishments, even if people are going boo.

The song could use a bass guitar though
Old 05-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
jerome_oneil

I hate any title with the word "rising" in it by default. Doesn't matter who did it, "something rising" is a sign of sure suckage. It could be "Puppies rising on a cloud of titties" and I would still hate it.

So I hate it. I might even listen to it a bit later.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
metallicaguy1

Thanks for the input, everybody. It's the second song I ever recorded. You guys have better ears than I do. In fact, I think having good ears is a talent kind of thing. I'll keep trying, and doing my best. Another probable reason it was bad is because of my sloppy playing. I have lots of trouble with playing guitar in time with the drums (and singing). It's difficult to do this kind of thing and not have a good set of ears.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
jerome_oneil

Good ears is a function of time and experience more so than talent.

And if you can play drums, guitar, and sing all at the same time, you're probably better than you think.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
bluetinstar

....."Good ears is a function of time and experience more so than talent"....

+ 1
bluetinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #13
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Good ears is a function of time and experience more so than talent.
I'm still waiting for my ears to turn good
Old 05-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaguy1 View Post
Thanks for the input, everybody. It's the second song I ever recorded. You guys have better ears than I do. In fact, I think having good ears is a talent kind of thing. I'll keep trying, and doing my best. Another probable reason it was bad is because of my sloppy playing. I have lots of trouble with playing guitar in time with the drums (and singing). It's difficult to do this kind of thing and not have a good set of ears.
It depends on what your trying to do. The song Sounds atonal.. Meaning there is no intention to follow any musical structure with melody.

If your doing this on purpose, its one thing (although most people will have a hard time enjoying it). If its just because you dont know how to play chords or play in a key and such, this can be learned.

Keep practicing and maybe grab some starter lessons online or locally. Most guitarists start by learning their favorite tunes.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:32 AM   #15
Daniovan

Default Awesome !

I had to listen four times, your track is awesome !

you are a genius

The feedback you have got so far even confirms it
(most people´s ears might be swamped by your arrangement, great variations and tempo changes)

Keep it up and do it your way !
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #16
Eichro

Well, from a technical standpoint:

> Guitar doesn't sound bad in the mix. Production-wise, it's well recorded
> Cymbals are way too loud. Snare isn't much to my liking, but it could work pretty well in a "classic" styled recording I guess.

In terms of songwriting and performance, though, there's a lot you might have to do. Vocals sound bored and out of tune, guitars, despite being well recorded, are not well-played and fret noises dominate the whole thing and the composition itself isn't much interesting. Also, the bass doesn't give the song the "oomph" it needs. Gotta give it to you in the lyrics department, though. It's pretty metal.

But keep going. You'll kick asses in no time.
Eichro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
sammydix

I think the main "mistake" was labeling this as metal. It's faaaar closer to avant guarde, and in that respect I'd compare the discordance to something like a modern day Residents (prob never heard of them, but they were 'out there' and DEFINITELY and acquired taste with NO commercial/mass audience appeal). But they did and do have their following.
So, if this is, as Quietroom said, on purpose, then I'd have to agree to develop it further and make it even more weird. Put your stamp on it.

I like avant guarde, btw. Takes my mind out of its comfort zone--but not all the time.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #18
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniovan View Post
I had to listen four times, your track is awesome !

you are a genius

The feedback you have got so far even confirms it
(most people´s ears might be swamped by your arrangement, great variations and tempo changes)

Keep it up and do it your way !
Unless you are being sarcastic, Thank you! You've made my day by your post. I know there's a lot I need to work on in my music, and I didn't read your post until now (I was kinda bummed with all the critics, even though I specifically asked for honest feedback). I need to stay off the DAW for awhile and practice playing and practice singing before I record any more.

And if I do, I might do it in a studio (if it's not outta my price range), where I'll get feedback by people who can detect what my ears can't, that way I'll be on track and know good from bad. I do appreciate everyone's feedback!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #19
thequietroom

Quote:
Unless you are being sarcastic, Thank you! You've made my day by your post. I know there's a lot I need to work on in my music, and I didn't read your post until now (I was kinda bummed with all the critics, even though I specifically asked for honest feedback). I need to stay off the DAW for awhile and practice playing and practice singing before I record any more.

And if I do, I might do it in a studio (if it's not outta my price range), where I'll get feedback by people who can detect what my ears can't, that way I'll be on track and know good from bad. I do appreciate everyone's feedback!
You did get some sorta strong criticisms.. Don't stay off the DAW necessarily. Each pass gets better.. You had the guts to put your early recordings on here.. just keep going at it. You will learn a lot about your strengths and weaknesses by recording. Just compare your recordings to some of your favorite commercial recordings and you'll also get an idea where you need more work.

Most people here are trying and willing to help.

I have to honestly suggest you re-think your plan of going to the studio to get coached. At least this is what I think your saying. This plan could be a big waste of your money. You don't want to spend $/HR in the studio until you are confident your material and performances are ready

What do you think your ears aren't hearing? If its pitch and/or timing, these can be taught by a music instructor.. or probably just learned along the way as you get a good practice routine together.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #20
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
You did get some sorta strong criticisms.. Don't stay off the DAW necessarily. Each pass gets better.. You had the guts to put your early recordings on here.. just keep going at it. You will learn a lot about your strengths and weaknesses by recording. Just compare your recordings to some of your favorite commercial recordings and you'll also get an idea where you need more work.

Most people here are trying and willing to help.

I have to honestly suggest you re-think your plan of going to the studio to get coached. At least this is what I think your saying. This plan could be a big waste of your money. You don't want to spend $/HR in the studio until you are confident your material and performances are ready

What do you think your ears aren't hearing? If its pitch and/or timing, these can be taught by a music instructor.. or probably just learned along the way as you get a good practice routine together.
Quiet room--thanks!

May sound stupid, but I don't understand a lot of the constructive critisim I get on this forum. The reason I don't understand them is just because I'm not quite sure what everyone means about intonation and not following melody and such, those sorta terms. I need rich dummy terms lol. (of course, I'm not rich, so, just dummy terms). I know a guy who gives lessons, and he gave me one months back, and although he's not expensive, I don't usually have much money, even on paydays. But that's okay, I will try getting once lesson a month, at the very least. And I DO appreciate the help about not going to a studio and potentially wasting money. Again, I think I could improve if I practiced more and knew where and what I'm doing wrong (in dummy terms, anyway
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Quiet room--thanks!

May sound stupid, but I don't understand a lot of the constructive critisim I get on this forum. The reason I don't understand them is just because I'm not quite sure what everyone means about intonation and not following melody and such, those sorta terms. I need rich dummy terms lol. (of course, I'm not rich, so, just dummy terms). I know a guy who gives lessons, and he gave me one months back, and although he's not expensive, I don't usually have much money, even on paydays. But that's okay, I will try getting once lesson a month, at the very least. And I DO appreciate the help about not going to a studio and potentially wasting money. Again, I think I could improve if I practiced more and knew where and what I'm doing wrong (in dummy terms, anyway
I believe you also mentioned my song was atonal. Not to sound ignorant, but what does that mean?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #22
thequietroom

For the price of a lesson or two you could get this

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/and...k-16-6-dvd-set

I have a few of his dvds and they are good. This should lay out a nice goal oriented practice plan.. Plus hes a badass guitarist
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #23
thequietroom

Quote:
I believe you also mentioned my song was atonal. Not to sound ignorant, but what does that mean?
Means not in a musical key or mode. Basically abstract kind of note/chord selections. This can sound cool, but most of the time it sounds wierd if its not really on purpose.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
metallicaguy1

Quote:
For the price of a lesson or two you could get this

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/and...k-16-6-dvd-set

I have a few of his dvds and they are good. This should lay out a nice goal oriented practice plan.. Plus hes a badass guitarist
Thank you!! I will definitely check this out.

Hey, if I post another song I did in the next day or 2, can you give me feedback? I did the song about a month and a half ago. It's still kinda unfinished though. Maybe you could give me some pointers.

You're feedback rocks (I know, stupid pun lol)
Old 06-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #25
hamish

You could change some things, especially in the vocal, but I just wanted to say (like a couple of others did) your main guitar tone is great.

If this is any help to get perspective: (max 5 stars)

Guitar tone **** (tell me your gear/FX chain!)

Composition/arrangement *** (extra for originality)

Vocal *** (considering I think you did next to no mixing on it)

Mix ** (Read up and compare on EQ, Compression and acoustics)

Drum sound ** (look for more samples, get off ez-toonz)
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:25 AM   #26
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
You could change some things, especially in the vocal, but I just wanted to say (like a couple of others did) your main guitar tone is great.

If this is any help to get perspective: (max 5 stars)

Guitar tone **** (tell me your gear/FX chain!)

Composition/arrangement *** (extra for originality)

Vocal *** (considering I think you did next to no mixing on it)

Mix ** (Read up and compare on EQ, Compression and acoustics)

Drum sound ** (look for more samples, get off ez-toonz)
Thanks, Hamish! What did you find wrong with the drums? Too electronic?

As for eq, compression and acoustics, what do you recommend in that area? Do you mean how the track as a whole is put together? It does sound a bit messy, and my playing is sloppy, that's from inexperience.

I'd be glad to share with you my guitar tone. Gimme a couple days and I'll screenshot it (if I can figure out how, lol). If not, I'll just take photos of my monitor, but I don't think screenshots are difficult to take.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Means not in a musical key or mode. Basically abstract kind of note/chord selections. This can sound cool, but most of the time it sounds wierd if its not really on purpose.
https://soundcloud.com/troy-ray-mccombs/school33

Quietroom, Here's a link to part of another song I did. Personally, the playing is what ruins it (IMO). Seems that when I palm mute, I'm not doing it enough. And there's too much gain. If I back off the gain, though, it sounds weak for me. But I really think it's my playing that makes it muddy. Plus, I haven't mastered the art of playing in rhythm with the drums
Old 06-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #28
hamish

Quote:
As for eq, compression and acoustics, what do you recommend in that area? Do you mean how the track as a whole is put together? It does sound a bit messy, and my playing is sloppy, that's from inexperience.
Someone else (cleverer then myself) said something like 'stick with what your're doing, give it a couple of years'. It really does that a long a time, and the important thing is that because you're doing someting original you can't just pull in someone elses mixing tip/trick like a magic bullet to fix it. You will need to develop your own style with the mixing tools too.

Quote:
Just a bit sterile

Quote:
I'd be glad to share with you my guitar tone. Gimme a couple days and I'll screenshot it (if I can figure out how, lol). If not, I'll just take photos of my monitor, but I don't think screenshots are difficult to take.
Cool, or just give a rough description from pickups through interface, and then plugins.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 AM   #29
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Someone else (cleverer then myself) said something like 'stick with what your're doing, give it a couple of years'. It really does that a long a time, and the important thing is that because you're doing someting original you can't just pull in someone elses mixing tip/trick like a magic bullet to fix it. You will need to develop your own style with the mixing tools too.

Just a bit sterile

Cool, or just give a rough description from pickups through interface, and then plugins.
Attached are the first 5 of ten screenshots of plugins. I used PODfarm with ux2 as interface. My guitar is a kh602 with active EMG pickups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picc.jpg (60.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg picc2.jpg (63.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg picc3.jpg (66.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg picc4.jpg (60.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg picc5.jpg (65.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:08 AM   #30
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Attached are the first 5 of ten screenshots of plugins. I used PODfarm with ux2 as interface. My guitar is a kh602 with active EMG pickups.
last screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picc6.jpg (68.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg picc7.jpg (66.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg picc8.jpg (67.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg picc10.jpg (65.6 KB, 172 views)
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #31
hamish

ESP kh602, mmm. The EMG actives are a great pickup for sure. I currently don't have a guitar with them.

I didn't understand that the five plugins were all on 'Track 4', but you had screenshots for 2x settings on each plugin?

I have all those plugins except the POD. I have a lot of redwire IR's that I use in ReaVerb, and my favourite drive at the moment is to use shattered glass 'ace' as a preamp (no cab setting) going into ignite emissary for poweramp.

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #32
thequietroom

Quote:

To my ear, it still has that atonal thing going. But assuming thats what your going for, the things that stand out to me are timing with the guitar, and the drums just have no groove.. its just sort of droning patterns.. I guess that could also be what your going for but it probably will have a very limited audience..

My suggestions off the cuff. Practice basic rhythm guitar principles to a metronome or drum sampler regularly.

What I mean is picking 1/8th 1/4 1/16 notes etc. Practice accenting the on beats and making it sound perfect.. Again this would be pretty well covered in that Andy James course.

Metal is really all about the riff... so You really need to spend the time on picking and palm muting so you have the timing ingrained.

For drums, maybe buy some pre made midi loops from slamtracks, groove monkey or the like. After seeing and hearing what real drum lines look like in midi format, you'll have a better idea how to program them.

I use a lot of midi clips and just tweak them to fit my riffs. It really helps to have the drums sound more realistic and have a proper "groove"

The drum sounds don't sound great either.. what sampler are you using for drums?

Pod farm is..mehh.. you should be able to get decent tone. Worry about better guitar tones down the road a bit
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #33
m5blackmond

Hey man! I wanted to chime in as someone that can probably relate.

I've been playing guitar/bass for like 10 years, and I still have a long way to go

I've been recording my own music for about two years, and I have a MUCH longer way to go. In fact, I would go as much to say my recording and mixing techniques are garbage. Every time I learn something new, I go back to my old mixes and cringe.

When I first started recording, I came to this forum. I got torn to shreds. I didn't know anything about anything about recording. Someone would say compression or limiting, and I had no idea what they meant. But, luckily for us, google exists. When someone mentions something you don't understand, search for it. Study it. If the topic is explaining things in simpler terms, yet you still don't understand it, then search those simpler terms. Go to the beginning.

The fact that you don't know what "intonation" is makes me think that you're also still learning about playing guitar. That's okay! BUT, you need to master your tools. Start with your guitar. Find a friend who is better than you, give him a beer and have him talk about how he plays guitar. Jam together. Learn his techniques. Find your favorite guitarist on youtube -- I bet he has some sort of playthrough video, especially if it's metal.

Don't let anybody here discourage you. We may be harsh, but we do it only to help you. That is why we are here. Take what you hear here as constructive. I feel really grateful for this forum. If you can shrug off the harsh critiques, you'll learn a lot here. (But also, keep in mind that not everyone is going to like your style of music)

Last edited by m5blackmond; 06-29-2015 at 07:45 PM.
m5blackmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #34
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5blackmond View Post

I've been playing guitar/bass for like 10 years, and I still have a long way to go

I've been recording my own music for about two years, and I have a MUCH longer way to go. In fact, I would go as much to say my recording and mixing techniques are garbage. Every time I learn something new, I go back to my old mixes and cringe.

When I first started recording, I came to this forum. I got torn to shreds. I didn't know anything about anything about recording. Someone would say compression or limiting, and I had no idea what they meant. But, luckily for us, google exists. When someone mentions something you don't understand, search for it. Study it. If the topic is explaining things in simpler terms, yet you still don't understand it, then search those simpler terms. Go to the beginning.

The fact that you don't know what "intonation" is makes me think that you're also still learning about playing guitar. That's okay! BUT, you need to master your tools. Start with your guitar. Find a friend who is better than you, give him a beer and have him talk about how he plays guitar. Jam together. Learn his techniques. Find your favorite guitarist on youtube -- I bet he has some sort of playthrough video, especially if it's metal.

Don't let anybody here discourage you. That is why we are here. We may be harsh, but we do it only to help you. Take what you hear here as constructive. I feel really grateful for this forum. If you can shrug off the harsh critiques, you'll learn a lot here. (But also, keep in mind that not everyone is going to like your style of music)
Thanks, M5. I was just feeling frustrated with all the negative comments, which I actually asked for when I said honest feedback. I guess that's just what happens when you try to get too involved with something too soon. I don't know enough yet about this stuff to be much good yet, even thought I'd like to, and know further that it's going to take LOTS of time JUST to learn. Even the basics. Kind of like when a kid gets excited about something and wants to master it in four days lol. I know that can't happen. It'll just take some time. And, don't get me wrong, I don't get angry or upset with the more negative comments; I know that's to help me instead of hinder, but then again, who likes to hear that what they've done is not up to par? I appreciate all the comments I get, whether good or bad. And I love this forum and everything it has to offer.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #35
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5blackmond View Post

Don't let anybody here discourage you. That is why we are here. We may be harsh, but we do it only to help you. Take what you hear here as constructive. I feel really grateful for this forum. If you can shrug off the harsh critiques, you'll learn a lot here. (But also, keep in mind that not everyone is going to like your style of music)
By the way, I like your music!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #36
thequietroom

To elaborate on my previous suggestion with midi drum clips, maybe just try writing a tune to some good drums. Like construct a traditional type song out of some good midi grooves. The ones i mentioned divide the grooves up into logical parts like verse,chorus, bridge etc.. You can even get some free sample packs from some of them. Try groove monkey and oddgrooves.. I believe they have free packs.

Im not saying this is the ideal way of writing songs... But by laying out a good structured song with these pre made drum clips, it may enlighten you as a guitarist by kinda boxing you in a bit to a groove.

Just a suggestion
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #37
metallicaguy1

Quote:
To elaborate on my previous suggestion with midi drum clips, maybe just try writing a tune to some good drums. Like construct a traditional type song out of some good midi grooves. The ones i mentioned divide the grooves up into logical parts like verse,chorus, bridge etc.. You can even get some free sample packs from some of them. Try groove monkey and oddgrooves.. I believe they have free packs.

Im not saying this is the ideal way of writing songs... But by laying out a good structured song with these pre made drum clips, it may enlighten you as a guitarist by kinda boxing you in a bit to a groove.

Just a suggestion
It's funny you said that, Quietroom. I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to put together very small riffs with drums and go from there.

BTW, what's your thoughts on EZ drummer?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #38
thequietroom

Quote:
It's funny you said that, Quietroom. I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to put together very small riffs with drums and go from there.

BTW, what's your thoughts on EZ drummer?
I've never used the original ez drummer, but I have superior drummer and ezdrummer2 and they are great.

EZD 2 makes it stupid easy to do what I described. You can literally find one midi groove you like and let it build a whole song for you.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:36 AM   #39
metallicaguy1

Quote:
I've never used the original ez drummer, but I have superior drummer and ezdrummer2 and they are great.

EZD 2 makes it stupid easy to do what I described. You can literally find one midi groove you like and let it build a whole song for you.
Quiet: below is a link to a quick test I just did.
EZdrummer, simple guitar, lef/right, no bass. I used mk3 and loud max.
https://soundcloud.com/troy-ray-mccombs/ispoc
Old 06-30-2015, 01:55 AM   #40
thequietroom

Quote:
Quiet: below is a link to a quick test I just did.
EZdrummer, simple guitar, lef/right, no bass. I used mk3 and loud max.
https://soundcloud.com/troy-ray-mccombs/ispoc

The guitar tracks are tight. Thats a step in the right direction. I cant remember whats in this pack exactly but you might try it.

http://www.oddgrooves.com/free-drum-loops-2/