Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default F'ing TRACKTION Gets Retrospective Record Before REAPER!

un-flipping-believable. both midi and audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyQ...ature=youtu.be
Vote Here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2306

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-24-2015 at 07:49 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
fedexnman

Yep , love my Tracktion 6
fedexnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Sam C

I think Tracktion is far and away the most forward thinking software company.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
hopi

very kewl feature....
Old 06-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
I think Tracktion is far and away the most forward thinking software company.
hmm, and i always disregarded it as a mackie version of garageband...how's the customization?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
EvilDragon

FFS, Cockos, wake up! :S

It's been FIVE fucking years...

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2306

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-07-2015 at 01:21 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
bladerunner

Awesome. I'm only using the Free V4 and I'm already super impressed with the app - feels very streamlined and fast compared to good 'ol Reap.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
ivansc

Here's a thought: I am one of many people who really have never "got" why there is a need for this feature.
Supposing Justin is one of them too?
Might be why this is getting ignored?

Remember when he first started futzing around with MIDI, we suddenly got a little attention to the basic MIDI stuff in reaper shortly thereafter....

Just sayin'......

P.S. I stuck with Tracktion through 4 and decided I just didn't dig it enough to upgrade to 5.
I have done the same thing with Studio One, which I really really wanted to like.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
suleiman

Its a super cool feature that i didnt even know i needed... Until i saw it just now

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Here's a thought: I am one of many people who really have never "got" why there is a need for this feature.
Watch the video in the first post? It's fairly simple... It can save that amazing take that you got solely when jamming around but forgot to press Record...

Also this: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=42
Old 06-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #11
xpander

Yes, it's a nice feature. Like pointed out, ED made a FR about it 5 years ago and DarkStar has actually made a JS MIDI Pre-Recorder few years ago. Latter could of course be integrated more natively as well.

Ivansc has a point confirmed by suleiman. So thanks for bringing this out and sharing any info, that is apparently needed. What is not needed is cussing and counting years like this would be a race, which is just pointless. If you so will, it took Tracktion 13 years to get this feature and there are still plenty they don't have, like with any daw. Who's before who in what?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Doc Brown

Is the Tracktion gui customizable?

That's way too light for my eyes on two 27" monitors.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Sure, there's a color editor.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/u...tion_software/
Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Fergler

EvilDragon doesn't matter that you've been here a long time or think you know the devs, that was just rude.

I want retrospective record as much as the next guy (mainly for retrieving tiny bits of audio from a a sudden recording) but we don't need to scream like children for it.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
xpander

Not to advocate unnecessarily strong language, but I have to say knowing ED for years here, he may have occasional expletives but is constantly on point for the actual matters. What irritated me right from the beginning in this thread was the title. I don't know foxAsteria as well as ED, so it may be just his way of vocalizing exciting things, but to me it was a turn off rather than an introduction to a feature many of us would indeed like to have.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #16
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Supposing Justin is one of them too?
Might be why this is getting ignored?
Yeah... Very odd 'feature'.

If you've forgotten to hit record...
I'm guessing you didn't arm the track either. (This is like a surprise situation where you didn't plan on recording anything right?)

So... This feature is printing ALL track inputs for ALL tracks to that buffer?
That would certainly take some CPU cycles!

Or... is it just for any rec armed track (ie. potentially useless)?

Weird...
I don't get it either.
But... go for it just as long as it can be turned off in preferences!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Just watch the video above, serr. It doesn't necessarily have to record inputs of ALL tracks.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #18
HugoRibeiroDotCom

I've posted a feature request regarding this two years ago.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=131981

I think its very useful and now I can see many would love to have it in Reaper.
You can only do this(sort of) using the time selection auto punch.

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
richie43

I watched the video and understand what ivansc and serr are saying. I do see how some people could like it (obviously judging form response on this thread....). But I think that ivansc nailed it; perhaps this is a feature that some people (like maybe Justin....) just don't see as relevant enough to put time into developing when they have what they consider bigger priorities to spend their time on. I personally would never need a feature like this. I learned a long time ago that if I really think that i may miss something while "practicing" a part, I have the track armed and I am recording everything I do. Good luck y'all.
I also tried the free version of Tracktion and don't care for it at all, to each their own.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
chucky5p

Since I had bought a cheap Behringer interface a few months ago for testing purpose, it gave me a free license to Tracktion 5 and I could therefore upgrade to Tracktion 6 for 30$, which I did as soon as I saw this new "Retrospective Record" feature (again for testing purpose- I've been wanting to try Tracktion for a while now) and I must say I like it very much

In any DAW, including Reaper, it's true that if we develop the habit of always Arming and Recording ALL tracks we're working on, we'll never "miss out" on any great "improv". However this is far from being "user friendly" because we constantly need to have the transport active (you cant just be sitting with your guitar in your hands and fooling around, the transport must be active) and whenever we stop the transport, we get these popup windows asking us if we want to keep the track(s) we've just recorded, and then we must restart the whole process... With T6 "Retrospective Record" there's no need for that, it's always "recording" all track(s) that have been assigned an input (either from your audio interface or MIDI controller) and it's keeping from 30sec up to 10min of the last thing(s) you did in its buffer, all automatically, and it's constantly "refreshing" its buffer so it never "grows up" indefinitely (you know, like reaper autosaved backups are still doing ) And yes, the feature can also be disabled.

As for moving from Reaper to Trackion just to get that feature, no way! Reaper has way more features than T6, but like I said, I really like this feature. I hope Justin & Co will implement their own version!

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #21
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
With T6 "Retrospective Record" there's no need for that, it's always "recording" all track(s) that have been assigned an input (either from your audio interface or MIDI controller) and it's keeping from 30sec up to 10min of the last thing(s) you did in its buffer, all automatically, and it's constantly "refreshing" its buffer so it never "grows up" indefinitely (you know, like reaper autosaved backups are still doing ) And yes, the feature can also be disabled.
Thanks Chuck. I guess the need for this kind of feature depends a lot on our different playing and recording habits. I love to noodle and back in the day I could have a walkman recording all the time. When I realized that the last thing was maybe worth proper treatment, I could get immediately back to it to check it out. However, piling up cassettes of previous recordings never worked so well for me, no time to go through them all again. So basically just to get back to the last idea.

In this regard looping a shortish retrospective recording with daw works way better. Same immediate capture of surprising things, but now it can also be ready as is without separate set-up to redo it. And no stacks of stuff piling up never to be listened again. May also work to reduce red light fever when there are no others to record us without a notice.

Not a necessity for me personally. Whatever I just played I can usually reproduce close enough and if it was a clear idea even before starting, I can go straight into recording. But I understand the request for this and wouldn't mind having it at some point.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Watch the video in the first post? It's fairly simple... It can save that amazing take that you got solely when jamming around but forgot to press Record...

Also this: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=42
That is why I don't need it.
I never jam around when I am writing.
I am one of those sad buggers who comes up with a melody and sometimes lyrics as well & then sets it all down in Reaper.
Any jamming happens once I already have the structure down, which is why I can't relate to anyone needing this too well. Sorry!
Old 06-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #23
Lawrence

Has anyone here ever manually punched a little late? If so, this can save your bacon since it's recording already, just roll the leading edge(s) back and all the audio is there.

It's a really handy feature for multiple reasons. If, for example, you're setting levels for a band and you hear something great while the transport is in stop, toggle record and there it is.

Not saying Reaper or it's users will die without it only that dismissing it out of hand is kinda... illogical. It's not a new fancy feature, it's been around for years.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-07-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #24
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Has anyone here ever manually punched a little late? If so, this can save your bacon since it's recording already, just roll the leading edge(s) back and all the audio is there.

It's a really handy feature for multiple reasons. If, for example, you're setting levels for a band and you hear something great while the transport is in stop, toggle record and there it is.

Not saying Reaper or it's users will die without it only that dismissing it out of hand is kinda... illogical. It's not a new fancy feature, it's been around for years.
Yep!!
DP has this feature and it saved my ass a few times..
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
sambosun

Quote:

It's been FIVE fucking years...

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2306
So true
sambosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #26
serr

Quote:
Has anyone here ever manually punched a little late?
Never. I put together my project studio in the digital age. Overdub work has always been DAW based. And I'm not into simulating analog tape punching either (the 'punch' features). I simply record overdubs or parts to be punched and drop them in as I go.

I suppose I could screw up and hit play instead of record for a take and it would save me from that.

Again, I'm not opposed to such a thing. I just imagine the overhead getting out of control and the thing taking a LOT of resources. You'd have to watch what inputs you had assigned. Make sure you make your track default 'no hardware input'. Otherwise...
120 track mix project.
Default 'input 1' left enabled for tracks.
So - 120 tracks with an input assigned
(Out of sight and mind - you're only minding the 3 rec enabled tracks...)

So this system has to keep 120 tracks worth of audio buffered every time the transport starts rolling for this example.

Looks like your processing use could go up exponentially as the project gets bigger if you aren't careful.

Punching on analog tape...
You have to get the head and tail edits right with the tape rolling and musician performing in real time. And you can't beat that tape with 100 attempts at the part either or you'll destroy it.
I love the digital world!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #27
Gerry P

Quote:
This is a big one, I think... set at start up, even for 1 min... disable if you don`t like it.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #28
Lawrence

While I do appreciate the reply, the question was "... has anyone here ever manually punched late?" ...not ... "Who here never punches anything ever?

Like any other optional feature, if they should later decide to add it, if you don't need it, just don't ever turn it on? Or would it annoy you simply by being there for others to use?

What you "imagine", it "using lots of resources exponentially", doing something that a daw always easily does anyway, recording audio?, is silly. People are here already telling you they've actually personally used it before, and still do, so you don't have to "imagine" anything.

I really love how people create supposed bad scenarios from things they've never even actually used, while completely ignoring the comments of people who have.

(The post sounds snarkier than I intended, sorry, all good fun. It's just simple audio recording.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Never. I put together my project studio in the digital age. Overdub work has always been DAW based. And I'm not into simulating analog tape punching either (the 'punch' features). I simply record overdubs or parts to be punched and drop them in as I go.

I suppose I could screw up and hit play instead of record for a take and it would save me from that.

Again, I'm not opposed to such a thing. I just imagine the overhead getting out of control and the thing taking a LOT of resources. You'd have to watch what inputs you had assigned. Make sure you make your track default 'no hardware input'. Otherwise...
120 track mix project.
Default 'input 1' left enabled for tracks.
So - 120 tracks with an input assigned
(Out of sight and mind - you're only minding the 3 rec enabled tracks...)

So this system has to keep 120 tracks worth of audio buffered every time the transport starts rolling for this example.

Looks like your processing use could go up exponentially as the project gets bigger if you aren't careful.

Punching on analog tape...
You have to get the head and tail edits right with the tape rolling and musician performing in real time. And you can't beat that tape with 100 attempts at the part either or you'll destroy it.
I love the digital world!

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-07-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #29
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
tracktion claims it has a negligble impact. may be hard to accept from a layman's perspective. i think its a ram thing, over cpu or hard drive considerations, so nowadays, not really a problem for most users. the buffer can be changed, if it's a problem or even turned off.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #30
ivansc

Quote:

Always use autopunch. On the occasions when I need to punch something in, I just set markers and it works as it should. (grin) And you guys REQALL punch in "on the fly" still?

OK I'll stop winding y'all up now....
Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #31
donchilcott

Default Really?

Can't think of a feature I am less interested in. Is this really keeping anyone from getting work done? We need Maybe it's just me but I can remember to hit Record.
Reaper, Intel i7 machine with 24 gigs of ram, Win 7 , M-Audio FW 410, Alesis i02, i7 Laptop w Win 8.1, Fender Concert 2, Bugera V22, Fender Showman(Red Knob) Ibanez Artist335, Strat, Ibanez Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton, ETC
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #32
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
Is this really keeping anyone from getting work done?
no. but i'm amazed there are people who have never forgotten to hit record.

also, continuous recording is bad for pack rats' hard drives and anyone with limited time to go through hours of material. it's easier to assess what you might regret losing after you've lost it.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-08-2015 at 09:39 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 AM   #33
ivansc

If you forget to hit record, how does this save the situation, unless you are proposing continuous recording of armed tracks when in Play mode? (Like fl or tracktion or whichever one we were talking about that did it this way)

Whilst I cant see me using this I am getting a little nervous that IF implemented this might become a minefield for unwary users NOT disabling it unless they want to use it.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #34
Mivo

Looks like a nice convenience feature to me, but I'm also in the camp of people who don't see it as essential.

I didn't get the Tracktion 6 upgrade, because twice in a row they left the previous version (4, 5) unfinished and bugged, and released a paid upgrade within a rather short period of time. Not to mention the lack of a manual for both 5 and 6 (but you can buy one from a third party).

I much prefer Cockos's business approach, even if some features may take a while.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #35
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I really love how people create supposed bad scenarios from things they've never even actually used, while completely ignoring the comments of people who have.
... and how others have such admirable enthusiasm for a particular feature that it seemingly makes it difficult for them to understand that there are others who (whilst happily accepting that there is another group who do want it) just have no need for that feature themselves.

Funny old world, eh?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:31 AM   #36
cyrano

This feature is one of the reasons I use BoomRecorder. And it works flawlessly for up to 120 tracks. Of course, BR doesn't do much else, as it has been created for recording. It doesn't even playback recordings you've closed, as there is no way to open them.

For those of us who do a lot of short takes and need administration BR is well worth it's low price.

http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #37
rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
Can't think of a feature I am less interested in. Is this really keeping anyone from getting work done? We need Maybe it's just me but I can remember to hit Record.

Totally agree. Though I have forgotten to press record and would probably forget to hit the retro record button too.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #38
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
... and how others have such admirable enthusiasm for a particular feature that it seemingly makes it difficult for them to understand that there are others who (whilst happily accepting that there is another group who do want it) just have no need for that feature themselves.

Funny old world, eh?
Read back. Nobody said everyone should need it. The most curious part is people who'll never use something optional perpetually telling people who will why it's supposedly flawed, even though they've never used it?

It's optional? Why do people argue - against - optional stuff? (Create fake negative scenarios, as if the typical Reaper user has 120 inputs )

Yes, it is indeed a funny world where you ask a simple question of people who - may - use something and get irrelevant argumentative responses from people who won't.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-08-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #39
Bristol Posse

Quote:
Read back. Nobody said everyone should need it. The most curious part is people who'll never use something optional perpetually telling people who will why it's supposedly flawed, even though they've never used it?

It's optional? Why do people argue - against - optional stuff? (Create fake negative scenarios, as if the typical Reaper user has 120 inputs )

Yes, it is indeed a funny world where you ask a simple question of people who - may - use it and get irrelevant argumentative responses from people who won't.

But yeah, all those people using it in DP, Cubase, Logic, S1, PT, Sonar, and Tracktion are just stupid, should just stop because there's a better way.
It seems to me mostly from the starting point that if the Devs are working on something I don't need, then there is less chance they will work on something I do need. So let's talk down everything I don't need.
Such is the problem of a small core team who pick and chose what to advance based on what is interesting to them.
I've long ago accepted that my needs beyond a play, record and stop button don't seem to line up with the Devs' interests and so things I see requested or talked about that I would see as worth having are very unlikely to be implemented any time soon, or maybe ever.

I could see a great use for this when tracking bands, it's like having the tape rolling between takes. It would also be great for live sound and location recording where stuff can happen "off the clock" as it were..

I've had a few times during setup/sound check or between takes where something amazing happens. I remeber on one occasion during a session in a break between takes the guitar player and backing vocalist just get some amazing improv thing started and it was perfect and we missed it. and then the moment passed and trying to do it again on purpose it just doesn't work like it did. Lost forever.

but working on your own where you are the performer, the "band", the producer and the engineer; recording yourself and in control of everything, it may be a less useful function. And that does seem to be where a lot of the user base and the Devs' interestis are positioned

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 06-08-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #40
serr

Quote:
I really love how people create supposed bad scenarios from things they've never even actually used
Let me introduce you to my friend Murphy!

Yep. I do in fact make up worst case scenario questions to ponder when looking at stuff. It's what I do.