Old 09-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
mykrobinson
Human being with feelings

Default Lots of Inputs....

Morning-

I have not seen a USB audio interface with more than 8 inputs. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen one...

From what I understand, you can't daisy chain ASIO audio interfaces to make one big interface. I am primarily using a laptop for recording, which is why I am looking at USB. The laptop is a Toshiba P55-A5312 and like many newer laptops, does not have an expansion card slot, so I cannot add firewire to it.

that said, where can I look for USB interfaces with more inputs than 8? What are some suggested models, if some exist? I know I could do much better with a desktop if I want more inputs, but I like to take my stuff with sometimes.

Thanks
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Solar

Hi @mykrobinson

Well there is, and lately there have been many out there, simply try to check on gear website like www.sweetwater.com etc.. and you'll be served. Now I don't know what kind of range price of USB soundcard you're looking for but if you want some high end amazingly sounding soundcard with lots and lots riduclous input, check this out

http://antelopeaudio.com/en/products...udio-interface

And if you're using a laptop, the Zen studio is quite impressive top to bottom.

Check it out and check out their youtube videos as well. You can check out RME, Focusrite, Audient and the list goes on and on. all depends on your $$$

Good luck ;-)
Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
luiso

Default hi

there is a Tascam with 14 channels that i saw somewhere, it has 8 mic pres and 6 line inputs, the other option is an 8 analog and 8 digital(adat) there are plenty model like this, i have a Presonus 1818vsl for the same reason, i track my band live with that setup.
hope this helps
luiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
mykrobinson

that ZenStudio looks AWESOME!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
mykrobinson

And thanks for the Sweetwater tip. Looks like their search engine is quite customizable and lets me select based on number of inputs desired
Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Baer

Units equipped with ADAT connections will allow you to add another eight mics (16 at lower sample rates). I use an RME UFX with an OctaMicD. Rock solid, high quality, and flexible. Other manufacturers offer similar units.

Last edited by Baer; 09-18-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
that ZenStudio looks AWESOME!
Quote:
And thanks for the Sweetwater tip. Looks like their search engine is quite customizable and lets me select based on number of inputs desired
Most welcome and yes the Zen Studio soundcard is one hell of a soundcard. I own one (there's some drivers issue on Windows OS at least for me and working with Antelope to fix them) but when you playback your stuff with this soundcard, trust me, the sound image and sonic quality is amaaaazing. When you add that the number of inputs as well as the Mic Pre sound quality, to be honest you could go on and record everything with their mic pre and you won't need to get additional pre-amp if you can't afford to get additional Mic Pre hardware etc... Just the unit itself can serves you great all in 1 BOX.

As soon as they will fix the drivers issues (not major but simply annoying ones) and enhance the usability of their Control Panel, man this card is simply Un-beatable in terms of Features-Quality & I/O amount.

As @luiso mentioned there are many out there following the lead of Antelope and more affordable. All comes down to budget first. Whatever choice you'll make, it will get your there ;-)

Good luck once more
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baer View Post
Units equipped with ADAT connections will allow you to add another eight mics. I use an RME UFX with an OctaMicD. Rock solid, high quality, and flexible. Other manufacturers offer similar units.
By the way @mykrobinson, RME is one of the BEST soundcard developers on the market and mostly RME is known to have the BEST ROCK SOLID (all category included) DRIVERS on the market. NO company can beat them. And by the way, I had an RME myself for the past 10 years (RME Hammerfall Multiface) and I was due to upgrade my soundcard with whats the new technology has been offering including DSP powered (included plugins for playback or singerswhile recording soundcard etc..) and my choice was hard to take. As I've never with RME, in 10 years of usage, never had not even once any DRIVER ISSUES. I swear, NEVER, I never called RME since I got my soundcard for any ISSUE or Problem. So that proves how much they reliable and they develop the best drivers period. You can ask all over or read all over.

Hope this helps you out ;-)
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
Baer

Solar, is the Zen unit rack mountable? Those side-mounted ADAT connections appear to prevent that.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baer View Post
Solar, is the Zen unit rack mountable? Those side-mounted ADAT connections appear to prevent that.
No the Zen ain't rockmountable. But the subject has been brought uip @ Gearslutz and Antelope mentioned that they're considering to bring a possible way to rack the unit up. Now I don't know when.. I myself wished the unit was rackmuntable but to be honest, I got it here and I put it above my Dangerous D-Box and all is good.

I'm positive that one day we'll see a third Dev who will come up with something ;-)

If you want to read more about the Unit, i suggest you to go on GS and you'll get more answers there in case if you're interested on the unit before buying it.

Best,
Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
Fergler

You can daisy chain but the first unit in the chain (the one that connects to your computer) must be able to support the # of inputs being sent to it.

An example is the Behringer ADA8000. It has 8 mic inputs. On the back it has an ADAT in and an ADAT out. You can use a second ADA8000 or another 8 input audio interface with an ADAT out to connect into this and it will show up in ASIO as 16 channels.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
SonicAxiom

If you are looking for lots of inputs, great flexibility AND great sound the Orion32 is more or less unbeatable as a usb interface. Mine works without any problems on a Win7 x64 laptop and handles 24 ins and 32 outs. I can easily use all my preamps and 500 series modules during tracking. The additional ADAT connectivity of Orion32 (16 channels) allows me to split all input channels to be recorded and use a digital mixer to set up latency-free headphone mixes.

During mixdown I run individual tracks/stems from the daw through it to mix these in an SSL Sigma analog summing engine.

Orion32 + 500 series modules + Sigma is the ideal studio environment for me.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
mykrobinson

Since we're all talking and playing nice, maybe one of you can answer a rookie question.

I like the interfaces that have the XLR inputs that double as 1/4" inputs. Many interfaces seem to have a certain number of these combination inputs, then several 1/4" only inputs that are simply marked as "Line".

Which of you wants to give an easy to understand definition of each input? WHen would it be appropriate to use one marked "Line."

Needless to say, i don't do this for a living... But I typically either run guitars direct to a combination plug, usually from the emulated output of a blackstar amp, or just use a VST. If we are micing a real cabinet, then obviously, we'd use an XLR input. So what are these mysterious "Line" jacks for?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Andy Hamm

The Behringer X32 allows for 32 inputs over USB at 24 bit 48Khz.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
mykrobinson

I like the X32, we have one at my church. Just not very portable
They do make a rack version, then you have to add a breakout box to get the inputs...
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
SonicAxiom

Quote:
... So what are these mysterious "Line" jacks for?
line inputs are appropriate for everything that is not a microphone and gets connected via 6.35 mm phone connectors like keyboards, cd-players or gits with integrated pickup.

You may want to have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level for more info.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
Faderjockey

Yes.. and don't leave out Line inputs are for outboard micpres balanced out or other outboard gear.. Like if a mic went to outboard pre then that went to a compressor you'd go Line in on an interface.

If you're new to it..why not look into something like the Focusrite 18i20 or something like it and get another 8ch micpre to adat.. to keep it on the cheaper side as you learn?

But if you got the cake.. the Zen or Orion would be awesome..But sound more like you'd need the Zen if you don't already have a bunch of outboard micpres.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #18
Baer

Quote:
So what are these mysterious "Line" jacks for?
Different types of inputs are at different voltages and/or impedences.

First, there pro-level signials and commercial level signals. The link from Sonic Axiom above will help you with that.

Within the pro world, inputs fall into three main categories: line level, mic level, and instrument (guitar and bass) levels. The three are different in their voltage levels and impedance ranges. In a proper system, you would not mix the three. Some combinations will work but will be compromised.

Go review the website for that Zen unit. You'll see three different types of inputs listed: (1) line/mic/instrument; (2) line/mic; and (3) line. Where this unit allows for all three in one physical input, the device is smart enough to determine what's plugged in and will process the signal accordingly.

After you've mastered the different levels, then there are the concepts of balanced/unbalanced and stereo/mono signals which can be applied across some of the level categories.

There's lots of info available on-line on these subjects. Understanding them will make working with the gear easier.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #19
plamuk

after this thread i went and ebayed myself a komplete audio 6 (4x4 i/o) for $114 after using a focusrite saffire 6 (2x4 i/o) for ages. 4 inputs aren't much, but at least now i can use my vocalist's looper's stereo outputs, omnichord and guitar without swapping inputs all the time
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Morning-

I have not seen a USB audio interface with more than 8 inputs. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen one...

From what I understand, you can't daisy chain ASIO audio interfaces to make one big interface. I am primarily using a laptop for recording, which is why I am looking at USB. The laptop is a Toshiba P55-A5312 and like many newer laptops, does not have an expansion card slot, so I cannot add firewire to it.

that said, where can I look for USB interfaces with more inputs than 8? What are some suggested models, if some exist? I know I could do much better with a desktop if I want more inputs, but I like to take my stuff with sometimes.

Thanks
Tascam, Behringer, Personus to name a few. Some of these have expansion capability.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Another very happy RME user here. I have a Fireface UFX which has 30 inputs (12 analog, 16 ADAT and 2 AES or S/PDIF) and 30 outputs over USB or Firewire. Rock solid drivers and great converters/preamps.