Old 10-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
SSteward
Human being with feelings

Default Any recommendations for marketing music?

Trying to get my music out to the people I believe would enjoy(I know it is not for everyone), but a key issue I have been having is marketing it, and getting into peoples hands. I have some clips on youtube, and soundcloud, but anyone have any recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-f34BoH60
SSteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
GreatBigThings

I'd start by posting on soundcloud. Then selectively following soundclouders that have a similar sound or repost your genre. I'm also looking for tips on this. It's certainly difficult to get ears on your music!
GreatBigThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
zeekat

Not that I have any first-hand experience (I'm extatic if I have four likes on youtube), but from the observation:

1. High quality production (obviously beedroom-sounding tunes will go about as far as making your friends and family say "aww its cute")
2. Youtube vids with high novelty and production values (not a static picture)
3. Genre that people actually listen to. Young people, older people usually don't listen to recently made music. Novelty value would help too, like that dude that melodyne'd Snoop Dogg to sing "Smoke weed everyday" to Enya. Hilarious stuff, hundreds of thousands of listens. Retro styled-music could fly too, just see step 1 (like all those synthwave tracks).
4. if you're lucky some music-related portal will post about you and you'll be sortof-known, you can mail them yourself if you feel confident of your quality. I learned about many quality metal bands from blogs like Metalsucks.net
5. You really have to be lucky
6. See step 1
7. See step 6. And 5.

Personally I doubt following anyone on soundcloud helps, soundcloud is super crowded and all the desperate "listen to my stuff plox" comments on half-famous people's tracks look rather sad.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
SSteward

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Not that I have any first-hand experience (I'm extatic if I have four likes on youtube), but from the observation:

1. High quality production (obviously beedroom-sounding tunes will go about as far as making your friends and family say "aww its cute")
2. Youtube vids with high novelty and production values (not a static picture)
3. Genre that people actually listen to. Young people, older people usually don't listen to recently made music. Novelty value would help too, like that dude that melodyne'd Snoop Dogg to sing "Smoke weed everyday" to Enya. Hilarious stuff, hundreds of thousands of listens. Retro styled-music could fly too, just see step 1 (like all those synthwave tracks).
4. if you're lucky some music-related portal will post about you and you'll be sortof-known, you can mail them yourself if you feel confident of your quality. I learned about many quality metal bands from blogs like Metalsucks.net
5. You really have to be lucky
6. See step 1
7. See step 6. And 5.

Personally I doubt following anyone on soundcloud helps, soundcloud is super crowded and all the desperate "listen to my stuff plox" comments on half-famous people's tracks look rather sad.
Great advise. For the production value point, I think the audio in my recording is decent (not pro obviously as it is programmed drums(that don't sound too bad), but I believe it is well above bedroom sound. Hell I have heard recordings from bands in my area at "professional" studios sound worse). The video I posted above was completely shot on my phone, so that needs to be wayyyy better.

But thanks for the recommendations guys! Keep'em coming.
SSteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteward View Post
Great advise. For the production value point, I think the audio in my recording is decent (not pro obviously as it is programmed drums(that don't sound too bad), but I believe it is well above bedroom sound. Hell I have heard recordings from bands in my area at "professional" studios sound worse). The video I posted above was completely shot on my phone, so that needs to be wayyyy better.

But thanks for the recommendations guys! Keep'em coming.
I have to agree with the cat. Great production goes a long way. And yeah, once it sounds good, it's relentless self promotion on every single platform you can find. No one will do the promotion for you. Even if they say they will.

But before that, I'd take a long hard listen to bands I like, and then to my own recordings. Terrible bands that sound amazing will always go further than fantastic bands with an iffy demo.