COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Youlean
Human being with feelings

Default WDL 2.0

Oli has written on KVR long time ago that he is working on WDL 2.0 but we still don't have any news about it. While this is not that bad, the bad thing is that main WDL repo is full of bugs and Oli is not fixing them. And that leaves us to fix same bugs over and over again individually. So, I would like to ask all active users to post their bug fixes on the forum so others wont loose time to do the same thing. Now you will say, why to help the competition, but remember, JUCE is much more advanced and they are our main competition. Nothing you post on the forum can be greater that JUCE support has. I also want to encourage people to post their forks of WDL as it may help others.

If you have any suggestion how to improve WDL, please let us know!
Youlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #2
br_ck1

100% Agree.

It would be too bad if WDL-OL will not be updated in the future. It is an amazing framework which (if updated/supported) can definitely compete with JUCE.

One of the most important things for the future : it would be great if, at first, Youlean and Oli unify their efforts to bring the "GUI resize" feature to WDL-OL ! One of the most valuable JUCE feature missing on WDL OL (currently).

Also IPlugGen project broke compatibility with genexport in Max 7.3 and later (maybe just a few lines to edit in WDL OL will be sufficient to restore the compatibility).

It would be great to listen to Oli's thoughts/plans about all this...

Last edited by br_ck1; 03-01-2017 at 11:46 PM.
br_ck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Bobflip

Hmmm, I wonder if this is why I'm having trouble with onMouseOut not being called...

I'm really enjoying working with the framework, and it's great that it's open source and out there so people can get stuck into writing plugins relatively easily. Would be excited to see 2.0, but I understand that these things can take a while.

Is there a list of existing bugs and things to be sorted?
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Tired_Joe

+1 for WDL 2.0

I couldn´t find a Buglist. I will create my personal buglist and mods within the next days.

1) Busmanagement, seems to be not really good with VST3
2) I made a mod for the knobs to show small values with a "." i.e. "5.35"ms and "16.5"m or "103" ms. It´s not a big thing but useful
Tired_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
olilarkin

hello,

unfortunately for various reasons, I'm not able to put in much time on WDL-OL any more.Not sure what the best solution to move forward would be... it could become WDL-CE again

if anyone wants to have a look at my IPlug v2 i can share the repo privately

oli
Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #6
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
hello,

unfortunately for various reasons, I'm not able to put in much time on WDL-OL any more.Not sure what the best solution to move forward would be... it could become WDL-CE again

if anyone wants to have a look at my IPlug v2 i can share the repo privately

oli
Too bad that you don't have time to support WDL anymore. Are you switching to JUCE? I would love to see the V2 version, but what are restrictions to it? What can I do with it?

Well as strategy goes, there are not a lot of WDL users (at least that are writing here), so to save WDL we need to do a following:

1. We must unite
2. We must find one experienced programmer that is willing to maintain main repository
3. All the rest should write what they need in the framework added/changed
4. Now they will suggest changes to the main repository
5. Now everybody can use main repository and contribute to it
Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Nowhk

I'm not so expert on Git, but I guess anyone should suggest edits for the WDL-Audio main project (first name I think right now), and a small crew of expert IPlug users (I suggest Youlean, Tale, earlevel and Xenakios for example) should test it, accept and update the framework.

About bugs, these are some recents I've found of IPlug related to FL Studio:

1. IPlug crash on FL when automating parameters (problem is on Notify about parameter changes)
2. When some FL elements over my plugin and I click on a button within my plug, it correctly call OnParamChange and Draw method of the Controls, but actually it draw/redraw nothing. Seems that the gui thread break for some reason.
Nowhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhk View Post
a small crew of expert IPlug users (I suggest Youlean, Tale, earlevel and Xenakios for example) should test it, accept and update the framework.
I could certainly take a look from time to time but I don't actually use IPlug myself. (I am JUCE guy these days with occasional use of the non-IPlug parts of WDL.)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
br_ck1

The most amazing thing would be to see Cockos itself to re-hold the WDL/IPlug framework/project and to readapt it to cover today's (and tomorrow's) needs, like GUI scaling etc...

After all they developed WDL, and it is a very appreciated Company with a very solid knowledge.

And we're talking about WDL on their "WDL Forum" right now, so Cockos what are you waiting for ? Bring a great future to this amazing framework
Old 03-07-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Tale

First of all, WDL is not IPlug (I use WDL all the time, but not necessarily with IPlug), so I guess you mean IPlug 2.0, right?

If I were to reboot IPlug, then I would make it more modular, e.g. I would remove all bloat from IControl, and make all standard controls optional. And I guess the same goes for all the wrapper methods in IGraphics. Also, I would separate it from WDL.

However, I probably won't have time to work on this anytime soon. And anyway, I don't think I really agree with the whole community "we must unite"/single maintainer philosophy...
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #11
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale
First of all, WDL is not IPlug (I use WDL all the time, but not necessarily with IPlug), so I guess you mean IPlug 2.0, right?
Indeed.

Quote:
Also, I would separate it from WDL.
You mean to use c++ std stuff?

Quote:
And anyway, I don't think I really agree with the whole community "we must unite"/single maintainer philosophy...
But how should we do it?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 AM   #12
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_ck1 View Post
The most amazing thing would be to see Cockos itself to re-hold the WDL/IPlug framework/project and to readapt it to cover today's (and tomorrow's) needs, like GUI scaling etc...

After all they developed WDL, and it is a very appreciated Company with a very solid knowledge.

And we're talking about WDL on their "WDL Forum" right now, so Cockos what are you waiting for ? Bring a great future to this amazing framework
Cockos just wont do it, and in my branch there is GUI scaling available.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #13
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
You mean to use c++ std stuff?
No, I would certainly keep on using WDL (IMHO STL mostly sucks), but I would not include WDL itself in the IPlug repository anymore, so WDL and IPlug would become two separate projects.

Quote:
But how should we do it?
Well, ideally someone would develop most of this privately while working on a specific plug-in that needs it (so implementing stuff he needs rather than stuff we all think we want). Then he would (hopefully) share his repository, and then others can fork, exchange patches, etc. as usual (via e-mail, or GitHub, or whatever).
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
br_ck1

@Youlean

your branch is based on one of the very latest versions of the WDL-OL branch, true (one of the WDL-OL versions released in 2015-2016)?

If yes, I'm correct if I say we can expect the same gui/dsp stability of WDL-OL with WDL-YOULEAN?

In some Forums you mentioned a lower stability of your branch compared to OL. Maybe in the meantime you corrected all the issues?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_ck1
your branch is based on one of the very latest versions of the WDL-OL branch, true (one of the WDL-OL versions released in 2015-2016)?
It is completely up to date with Oli branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_ck1
If yes, I'm correct if I say we can expect the same gui/dsp stability of WDL-OL with WDL-YOULEAN?

In some Forums you mentioned a lower stability of your branch compared to OL. Maybe in the meantime you corrected all the issues?
It is as stable as Oli branch if you don't use GUI resizing. GUI resizing needs some work on MAC, but it will be solved very soon.
Currently I am using it with my Loudness Meter plugin.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
br_ck1

Quote:
It is completely up to date with Oli branch.

It is as stable as Oli branch if you don't use GUI resizing. GUI resizing needs some work on MAC, but it will be solved very soon.
Currently I am using it with my Loudness Meter plugin.
Great, thank you for this branch, don't forget to let us know when everything will be completed/fixed