Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper keeps forgetting my audio device + its i/o settings [probably solved]

I'm using a Yamaha AIC128-D PCIe accelerator interface card for Dante network audio as my desktop pc's audio device with Reaper. Of 128 i/o it's providing I've activated only 24 ins and 30 outs. An RME Babyface is also attached to the pc via USB but I'm not using it with Reaper normally. (side note: Babyface ASIO drivers are multi-client ASIO capable)

Most of the time when I launch Reaper, Reaper shows "audio device deactivated" in the upper right of the window. Even launching Reaper repeatedly doesn't help. Sometimes, what does help, is launching one or more instances of the RME DigiCheck measuring tool which occupies pairs of audio channels of the Babyface. Unfortunately, it doesn't always help as can be seen in this licecap:

If launching DigiCheck doesn't help, I have to switch Reaper to use the Babyface instead of the Yamaha pcie card, then quit Reaper, relaunch it and then set it back to the desired Yamaha settings incl. restoring the i/o channels I need.

I'm happy that I can use the Yamaha card once it has been redefined but it's very annoying to have to wade through the described procedure almost every time I launch Reaper.

Reaper 5.26 x64 Win7 pro x64 (issue persists since I got the card in feb. '16)

EDIT (2017-10-17):

I just found out that Yamaha has released a firmware and driver update for my PCIe card model a few weeks ago. After installing both updates the issue seems to have gone (card properly initializing as it should for one day now)

REAPER is completely vindicated!

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 10-17-2017 at 08:06 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

could anybody please look into this issue?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:43 AM   #3
SonicAxiom

any help would be very much apprechiated!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
John57b

First if you are using Windows see if Yamaha AIC128-D is showing on the device list before launching Reaper. It seems that the Yamaha AIC128-D is already in a hang state before latching Reaper. The RME Babyface could be interfering as well. It might help to disable the RME Babyface and see if it is interfering.

Last edited by John57b; 01-13-2017 at 05:45 AM.
John57b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

thanks for your reply, John. I'm on Win7 Pro 64. Babyface is apparently not the only culprit. Even if I deactivate it, the issue occurs. All interfaces are properly installed and also function as expected (as long as I manage to activate AIC128-D).

Sometimes, if I launch Reaper and do some weird mouse mouvements while it's launching, this seems to positively influence the detection of the Yamaha card. If I do nothing, the card will almost certainly not be detected. Also, launching RME DigiCheck tool while launching Reaper sometimes helps.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
John57b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
thanks for your reply, John. I'm on Win7 Pro 64. Babyface is apparently not the only culprit. Even if I deactivate it, the issue occurs. All interfaces are properly installed and also function as expected (as long as I manage to activate AIC128-D).

Sometimes, if I launch Reaper and do some weird mouse mouvements while it's launching, this seems to positively influence the detection of the Yamaha card. If I do nothing, the card will almost certainly not be detected. Also, launching RME DigiCheck tool while launching Reaper sometimes helps.
If you getting weird mouse movements when loading Reaper it sounds like a possible conflict Like IRQ with the AIC128-D. Less likely with Win10. How is the MIDI devices are setup in Reaper Preferences? That can be confusing. For example my Nektar Panorama P1 has eight devices names in total for input and output but only need one name is to be enable and in control just the input only and none for the output. It just works. On my Roland A-800 I am using MIDI2 for input and output even though communications is still using USB. On my Studiologic SL88 Studio I am just using the straight name, SL STUDIO not the MIDIN2 (SL STUDIO) for the input.
John57b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by John57b View Post
If you getting weird mouse movements when loading Reaper it sounds like a possible conflict Like IRQ with the AIC128-D. Less likely with Win10. How is the MIDI devices are setup in Reaper Preferences? That can be confusing. For example my Nektar Panorama P1 has eight devices names in total for input and output but only need one name is to be enable and in control just the input only and none for the output. It just works. On my Roland A-800 I am using MIDI2 for input and output even though communications is still using USB. On my Studiologic SL88 Studio I am just using the straight name, SL STUDIO not the MIDIN2 (SL STUDIO) for the input.
I'm doing the mouse movements on purpose and I've no issues with MIDI devices! My mouse movements while Reaper launches actually seem to help Reaper finding the right audio device. I admit that it could be pure imagination, but it really seems to have a positive effect.

I hope that a dev can look into this and at least tell me if it can be Reaper's fault or the fault of the Yamaha PCIe Dante interface. I could provide a project file or any other helpful data.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

everything seems to work fine now after installing a recent driver and firmware update of the PCIe card