Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Default Baseline for Multitrack Editing?

I'm not really a newb. Been recording all of my adult life. Using computers since before it was really viable. Been using Reaper for quite a while and understand it better than many. This though is a thing I've never really had to do, son ever really tried to figure it out. I have seen any number of threads about the subject that have me frankly kind of confused and kind of afraid that it's going to be some big hassle. So I'm asking just for the rundown on exactly what I need to achieve what I'm shooting for.

I have a recording where most of the instruments have four or five tracks, each with multiple takes. I need to do some comping and some editing. I'll be splitting, choosing takes, possibly snipping out parts or copying good parts in place of bad. I know how to do all of this on one track. I wouldn't mind hearing about ways to streamline my workflow there, but it's not really what I'm asking for.

I need all of these edits to be reflected on all of the related tracks at the same time without having to mess around much, and especially without failing in some strange way that I won't notice until it's way too late.

So the question is: Does item grouping just cover all of this? Can it (please) be that simple? Do I have to change any default Preferences or Settings? Can I use the same actions - S for Split, T/shift-T, Ctrl-drag, etc - or are there some different ones I need to find?

I'm a bit intimidated. I need to be able to do this for this project and in future. I'm hoping it really is just simple, but like I said, it seems to trip people up.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
karbomusic

I think you should consider collapsing the takes if you aren't already (you can always expand for sanity from time to time), makes life much easier. I didn't notice that command (CTRL+L) in your list. For that to be successful you want the option to show take numbers on the items and having the takes auto colored is a plus if not too late. Then again, if you use T/Shift+T you may already be collapsing?

There is also a setting in item grouping called "Selecting one item selects group" which ensures any click of a grouped item selects all items in the group. Also, this may already be default but when I split a group of items, I have it auto select the item to the right post split. And of course make sure show lanes for empty takes is enabled so that they align properly vertically if you have any items that don't have the same number of takes.

Lots of little things so you could always just create a test version to play around with first. I've never really had many problems but I explored takes pretty deeply back around mid version 4 or so when everything takes wise was updated. Kenny has a couple of good videos too most likely (comps, takes et al).
Old 03-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think you should consider collapsing the takes if you aren't already (you can always expand for sanity from time to time), makes life much easier. I didn't notice that command (CTRL+L) in your list.
ATM, there's just so many takes per track that if I want to see all the tracks, I only get to see one take. When I'm comping, I prefer to see all of the takes so I can make decisions about split points and...well, it just works better for me! I'd like to be able to just focus on the one track, though, so I can see all of those takes as big as possible. But I really don't want to have to zoom or scroll to select all the other tracks' items every time I need to do something. That's the way I've done these kinds of things in the past, and even when it's just a couple tracks, that gets old fast!

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm going to try to dive in tonight after work, and I'd like to be able to do a little mise en place first.

Quote:
Lots of little things so you could always just create a test version to play around with first. I've never really had many problems but I explored takes pretty deeply back around mid version 4 or so when everything takes wise was updated.
This project really is my chance to play around. A total vanity project for a band I was in a few years back. I'd like for it to go smoothly, but I also want to just get the hang of it because I've got a couple of other people who want to do similar things very soon.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
When I'm comping, I prefer to see all of the takes so I can make decisions about split points and...well, it just works better for me!
That's cool, makes sense, use what works best for you for sure. I guess it never bothers me from a split point perspective because I can just move it as needed after the fact. Let us know how it goes!