Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Please help me with Reaper and Soundflower issue!

Hello, I have post about this before, and even spoken to the Cockos team who have shed some light on this, with the routing, but as i'm not that experienced with the Routing (as good and as complex as it is..) so i'm getting myself in knots!!

I want to record from Ableton (independently so not Rewire) to Reaper running on the same Mac.

I open the latest SoundflowerBED app, and set to 2CHN - I only ever need 2 chn stereo as I only record 2 channels (stereo) at once over into Reaper..My standard soundcard is set to use as a 2chn output (just for a route to my monitor speakers)

1. I open Ableton, and in its audio-preferences, and set that to SoundFlower 2CHN so its master output/soundcard is now 'soundflower'.

2. I open Reaper and set the audio to Soundflower 2 CHN also so its 'receiving' from Ableton when i play a track.

3. I record a loop in Ableton and call it "loop1", then when pressing play, this shows up on the meters recording into a blank Reaper track (set to input 1/2) and records fine..

4. When I then set up a 2nd blank track in Reaper and press play, (to hear the first loop back) the first track plays back and it records "onto" the second track when its in record mode???

I can't for the life of me sort out or stop why this is happening? and have spent hours on this before (as a last resort) spending a wedge of cash on a new soundcard with optical input so i can do the same with a 'wired' connection! (which i know works fine) - but would prefer to use a free app, "soundflower" to do the same thing!

I have spoken to Cockos and their reply was :

"It sounds simply as if REAPER is sending its mix back to Soundflower in addition to the audio hardware, which is causing the previous mix to be recorded"

Does anyone know how to stop "REAPER is sending its mix back to Soundflower in addition to the audio hardware"? in the routing matrix? so it stops recording itself?

I only need the 2chn version, and have tried JACK OSX etc but Soundflower is the simplest easiest way of doing this - I think that this is a reaper problem

If I set Ableton as soundflower out so that the master always sends its 2chn output via Soundflower to Reaper, I just want to be able for Reaper to record whatever is coming out of that 2CHN output but to record on any seperate channels/tracks that I choose in Reaper?

I hope that makes sense?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
buckman

bump anyone??
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
danielm

Default perhaps a solution...

Hi, I am new to reaper and recording in general, and was having the same problem. The solution I found was that in reapers audio settings it automatically makes the output the same as what you select as the input, in our case soundflower. Theres a small box underneath the audio iutput which says 'Allow use of different input and output devices', so i checked this box and choose my interface as the output and that seemed to fix things.

However it did say ( legacy option, not recommended) beside it and I have no idea what that means or whether it is a bad idea to do what I'm doing. : S
danielm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm View Post
Hi, I am new to reaper and recording in general, and was having the same problem. The solution I found was that in reapers audio settings it automatically makes the output the same as what you select as the input, in our case soundflower. Theres a small box underneath the audio iutput which says 'Allow use of different input and output devices', so i checked this box and choose my interface as the output and that seemed to fix things.

However it did say ( legacy option, not recommended) beside it and I have no idea what that means or whether it is a bad idea to do what I'm doing. : S
That sounds good! and yes would probably fix the whole issue as I believe this is the problem!
(i never saw that little box down there!)

Anyway it does say " Please use Aggregate device instead" (not sure why?) but if Reaper can fix this then great, as I'm sure its a Reaper problem as you mention

I have tried Apple's aggregate device, but still have no joy with that, I have watched tutorials and can't seem to get an input (soundflower) and different output in Agg Device *also in aggregate device would affect the whole Mac so to speak wouldn't it? - so probably this setting would do the trick inside Reaper itself!

Thanks for your post - you have given me hope! ;o)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
buckman

Does anyOne know why the legacy option in the audio settings is "not recommended"??

I'm now using it to get this posts problem to work but am worried what will happen?

Is it unstable? Noisy? Will Reaper blow up? lol
Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
mparks

Default Why Legacy Option Is Not Recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Does anyOne know why the legacy option in the audio settings is "not recommended"??

I'm now using it to get this posts problem to work but am worried what will happen?

Is it unstable? Noisy? Will Reaper blow up? lol
I found this post on the forums since you got me wondering the same thing.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87314

It looks like the main gist of the legacy option is that it allows you to address input and output signals within Reaper separately. I don't actually know why that would be a problem, but I'm guessing that one possible issue could be in monitoring. That's to say you could possibly have greater latency.
mparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparks View Post
I found this post on the forums since you got me wondering the same thing.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87314

It looks like the main gist of the legacy option is that it allows you to address input and output signals within Reaper separately. I don't actually know why that would be a problem, but I'm guessing that one possible issue could be in monitoring. That's to say you could possibly have greater latency.
Got this all sorted now thanks, from Justin himself..

Its no real problem and I've never had a single issue from doing seperate in/out
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
carvingCode

Just want to say 'big thanks' for this. This is the solution I came to the forum looking for.

Much appreciated!