Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Warmachine
Human being with feelings

Default Trouble with mastering final track

Hi guys, new here to the forums so be gentle lol, but i've been using Reaper for a few months and have a decent understanding of how it works. I've managed to get a majority of my EP finished on it but i've hit a snag: output volume. When i have all my compressors (and they are used lightly) and everything set the way i like it, the end result track just doesnt seem loud enough. I have the master set with a light limiter to keep it from clipping so, did the obvious, just tweaked it and the comp on the master bus while raising the db's but it ended with massive clipping when i got the loud volume that i wanted. The best way to describe the volume difference is when i put the CD in a car or home stereo, listen to the track cranked, then turn on the radio, the volume difference is almost ear busting lol. What i've done is when i complete a track i compare the volume and mix levels to bands that i listen to, like Megadeth, BLS, Ozzy, Pantera etc and granted these guys had professional engineers master their work, im thinking i am missing something very simple, or subtle to fix this problem. This is the only thing i have in my way from making some fantastic sounding tracks! Sorry for the novel guys lol, i just really need some help in this. Thanks!
Warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Nip

Could it have something to do with quality of limiter you use?

I remember throwing Ozone out 8 and some years ago due to that it could not create a reasonable good sound at the desired loudness. And I never were a loudnesswar-friend. Just 2-4dB raise of overall level.

I found some freeware that did a better job. In this case the long gone Kjaerhus Audio.

With the pricing today Waves L2 and L3 are reasonable. We've had plenty argument battles here over what is best - search forum here or at KVR: www.kvraudio.com/forum

Working a limiter harder often brings many things up front - so a change in mix might be needed as well. It's not just cranking limiter to the limit and it's good.

Just a thought...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Warmachine

Thanks for the reply dude! The only non quality thing im doing with my mixes is adding "true" bass rig, im just running direct and eq'ing and running sims to get a desired sound, my guitars are ran through a 5150 and a 4x12 cab with eminence red coat governors so i got some good top shelf gear. I did play with just removing that limiter all together and it did help tremendously, next step is working on my final mix compressor. I already compress my drums bass and vocals so im thinking that last compressor for the mix may be overkill..
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
scr123

Howdy Warmachine,
I experienced the same thing when I first started recording using Reaper in an Open Labs machine. The CD's I recorded were always too quiet when listening in the car and I had to cranck up the volume just to hear. As a resolve, someone recommended downloading AUDACITY (free by the way) and using it for fine tuning my music.
When I opened the music file in Audacity, I noticed that the stereo "wave" looked very thin...almost anemic. But when I "normalized" the file.....it expanded to a very fine and loud wave form. When I made a CD using this new file......the CD played just as loud as any other commercial CD I have.....or the radio, for that matter.
Audacity also has an "amplify" feature that could be used.....but I don't know what the difference is between it and "normalize" (I'm not THAT savy, unfortunately).
I also noticed that when I record tracks in Reaper, although the levels are set for full volume.....I never have the imput levels high enough to record instruments to their full potential. Unfortunately, I record everything using headphones and always have the volume levels set far too low in order to hear when recording. However, when I choose to use the Open Labs provided recording "templates"...the volumes are always full and quite different from any project recorded when I start a project from scratch. I found that if the recorded levels are too low, the finished product will reflect. You'll be able to notice if they ARE too low when you render your track. The "wave" that shows when rendering will either be anemic looking or robust/full. I don't know if this is helpful or not....but I thought I'd share. SCR123
scr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Warmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr123 View Post
Howdy Warmachine,
I experienced the same thing when I first started recording using Reaper in an Open Labs machine. The CD's I recorded were always too quiet when listening in the car and I had to cranck up the volume just to hear. As a resolve, someone recommended downloading AUDACITY (free by the way) and using it for fine tuning my music.
When I opened the music file in Audacity, I noticed that the stereo "wave" looked very thin...almost anemic. But when I "normalized" the file.....it expanded to a very fine and loud wave form. When I made a CD using this new file......the CD played just as loud as any other commercial CD I have.....or the radio, for that matter.
Audacity also has an "amplify" feature that could be used.....but I don't know what the difference is between it and "normalize" (I'm not THAT savy, unfortunately).
I also noticed that when I record tracks in Reaper, although the levels are set for full volume.....I never have the imput levels high enough to record instruments to their full potential. Unfortunately, I record everything using headphones and always have the volume levels set far too low in order to hear when recording. However, when I choose to use the Open Labs provided recording "templates"...the volumes are always full and quite different from any project recorded when I start a project from scratch. I found that if the recorded levels are too low, the finished product will reflect. You'll be able to notice if they ARE too low when you render your track. The "wave" that shows when rendering will either be anemic looking or robust/full. I don't know if this is helpful or not....but I thought I'd share. SCR123
Thanks man! Sounds exactly like what im dealing with! If i remember right goldwave has something similar to that as well and i have the full version of it so i'll check it out! Yeah it does just like you said, either extremely thin looking or a 1000.99 on the richter scale haha. Thanks dude
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Warmachine

Thanks for the info dude, worked like a charm! I used Goldwave for years and still have it and there is an option in there "Match Volume" that i was able to get the volume boost without distorting the track! Thanks again man! - Matt
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
scr123

Glad to help, Matt. Isn't this forum wonderful? Every little bit of information we get here is always welcomed. SCR123
scr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Warmachine

lol that it is dude, that it is!