Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
zircon
Human being with feelings

Default Test Render - run through render process to check for max volume w/o writing files

I've been working on large sample-based projects with tons of regions, mic tracks, and FX. I want to render and ensure that nothing clips, but right now that's impossible to tell without either:

1. Rendering every file and checking the meters on the "Rendering to file..." window

or

2. Playing through the entire project once for each track

Neither option is ideal. It would be great if we could do some sort of test render or analysis which would report the max peak volume of a track (or all tracks at once).
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Banned

Afaik, something like this would not be guaranteed to be accurate for many cases (i.e. where plug-ins do not output 100% predictable results; think of randomness and noise in electronic circuit models, free-running oscillators, etc.), and may thus end up as a sort of 'rough estimate'. Unless you manually verify each and every plug-in, the only way to really be sure, is to actually render and keep the result.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
zircon

Sure, but it doesn't need to be 100% accurate. No plugin is going to generate really wild + random swings in volume, and if they do, then I probably wouldn't be using them in this context. I just want to get a sense of what a render would be like without writing literally thousands of files over and over (that is a real killer on your hard drive, particularly SSDs). This current project I'm working on has TENS of thousands of samples and if even one clips, I have to render the whole thing. A test render would be an absolute lifesaver.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
airon

A null render.

Sounds a bit like the loudness graphs I'm requesting, but with simpler peak measurement.

There, the idea is to get an overview of the master and any other tracks you designate. Then again, with some API additions, perhaps the SWS extension creators can implement such a function for you for selected regions.

Worth discussing in the developer forum section where API necessities could be found and then requested, so a simple script could. be made to do the job you need.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote