Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #41
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae
Sorry to be pedantic, but just to say it: though there are lots of idiopathic cases of tinnitus, there are nonetheless many well-identified and well-understood "causes", such as repeated exposure to loud sounds, use of certain obscure drugs, etc; it's the mechanism/s that is/are still unclear, which is maybe what you meant.
OK, I'll bite…

Depends on where you're standing.

What you call "cause" I call "trigger", since there are many and varied triggers.

Perhaps I should have said root cause, meaning the actual mechanism that causes the brain to think it's hearing something, on that I believe we converge and agree.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #42
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoniumNitrate View Post
There is no invisible man in the sky with superpowers. This was disproven long ago.
No need to be a dick about it. The guy was geniunely sharing his experience.

For some, believing in an 'invisible man in the sky' helps them do better in life and cope with these horrible things that happen to them. No need to take that away from them in the name of 'enlightening' them. They're not burning anybody or killing anyone who doesn't believe. Let them be.

I've been a dick like you before, and I'm telling you now. Stop.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #43
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
I only make mixes for other deaf people.
Made me laugh mate. Good one.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #44
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
For some, believing in an 'invisible man in the sky' helps them do better in life and cope with these horrible things that happen to them.
But for others, believing that there's no invisible man helps us do better in life.

Quote:
No need to take that away from them in the name of 'enlightening' them.
As if there's a need for them to "take away" my belief that there's no invisible man?

Quote:
They're not burning anybody or killing anyone who doesn't believe. Let them be.
I'm not burning anybody or killing anyone either, so why aren't you "letting me be"?

Quote:
No need to be a dick about it.
Same to you.

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 05-09-2014 at 02:11 AM.
AmmoniumNitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #45
keyman_sam

Quote:
But for others, believing that there's no invisible man helps us do better in life.

As if there's a need for them to "take away" my belief that there's no invisible man?

I'm not burning anybody or killing anyone either, so why aren't you "letting me be"?

Same to you.
It's not the same. It takes a miracle of sorts to convert an atheist into a believer. Sort of like telling a child to believe in Santa Claus after he/she finds out that there's no Santa Claus.

Placing your emotional burden on an invisible man is a lot better than handling the 'emotional' part of the crisis yourself. To paraphrase Robert Langdon from Angels & Demons "Faith is a gift I have yet to receive". Many people have these gifts. Don't try to take it away from them.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #46
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Placing your emotional burden on an invisible man is a lot better than handling the 'emotional' part of the crisis yourself.
False.

Quote:
It's not the same. It takes a miracle of sorts to convert an atheist into a believer. Sort of like telling a child to believe in Santa Claus after he/she finds out that there's no Santa Claus.... To paraphrase Robert Langdon from Angels & Demons "Faith is a gift I have yet to receive". Many people have these gifts. Don't try to take it away from them.

My 2 cents.
You are assuming that "believers" have more to lose by raising the topic in venues where opposing viewpoints are allowed equally? "Believers" should be held to a more lenient standard because they are child-like, or mentally incompetent? If you believe that, why aren't you simply steering "believers" to safer pastures where they won't be exposed to foreign viewpoints? If someone on a DAW forum wrote that there's no Santa Clause, would you call him a "dick" because there might be children reading and they might lose the "gift" of their delusional belief in Santa Clause?

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 05-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #47
serr

Wait... Did Yahweh strike down someone's hearing? Or was it Enlil? Couldn't have been Enki...

Frank Zappa put it best: There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.

Many atheists attack 'organized religion'. ie. intentionally dishonest snake oil salesmen
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #48
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

When religious people simply state their views, atheists don't tend to complain that their atheism is being "taken away", because atheists are less prone to melodrama I guess. When religious people state their views, they are committing blasphemy against atheism; but do religious people ever stop to consider their hypocrisy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
... ie. intentionally dishonest snake oil salesmen
Actually, it's just that there really is no invisible man in the sky with superpowers.

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 05-10-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #49
serr

Quote:
Actually, it's just that there really is no invisible man in the sky with superpowers.
As a childish promotion of organized religion, of course not! But don't play right into the hand you so despise! These same people would have you believe this is a black and white conversation and they go to great lengths to keep people from talking with each other in a meaningful way or learning any history. Don't fall into their trap yourself! Dividing people is one of their goals.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the 'religion' you are talking about in a negative way as 'organized religion' (and I pretty much agree with all the comments directed at that). I think religion/philosophy and history are worth discussion and I think one of the major goals of organized religion is to specifically discourage discussion and divide people. I see zero benefit to society and only harm.

What does this have to do with hearing loss again?

Stem cell research could lead to growing new cilia in the inner ear and some fundamentalists are told to oppose that...

I predict this thread will be struck down by the hand of a mod soon.

Last edited by serr; 05-10-2014 at 10:42 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #50
karbomusic

Quote:
Placing your emotional burden on an invisible man is a lot better than handling the 'emotional' part of the crisis yourself.
I won't stay long but I see it as exactly the opposite. It sounds like an escape from dealing with reality to me. Does it make people feel better yes, are they actually improving themselves, IMNO not at all, they are just creating a coping dependency like any drug would do aka escapism. Then again, when you are in lots of pain they give you drugs to ease it so I can't really complain coming from that angle.

If that is what they wish to do, OK with me so long as they don't present it to me, bug me about it, preach it to me or try to change laws that affect me based on it.

Can't add more since this is really a lounge discussion.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #51
keyman_sam

This isn't a discussion against religion. Let's get back on topic.

Yay stem cells.When are we getting them?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #52
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Can't add more since this is really a lounge discussion.
It *WAS* a lounge discussion, why foist it on the lounge again?
Just so we can look down on it as a "lounge" discussion? Im with you Karbo, see what I did there? -We know these debates go on ad infinitum and generally branch into racism fascism nazism jizm sizm mott the hoople wot was the question again? [*yawn*]
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #53
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
This isn't a discussion against religion....
As if it's a discussion for religion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_loss

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 05-10-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
It *WAS* a lounge discussion, why foist it on the lounge again?
Just so we can look down on it as a "lounge" discussion? Im with you Karbo, see what I did there? -We know these debates go on ad infinitum and generally branch into racism fascism nazism jizm sizm mott the hoople wot was the question again? [*yawn*]
No, I didn't see what you did. I was just realizing this was general discussion and I shouldn't even have been replying to a lounge topic inside a hearing loss thread.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-10-2014 at 09:09 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #55
thequietroom

There is definitely something psychological about tinnitus. I have had it for years but over the last couple it has nearly stopped. Then I read this thread and its blaring. I did listen to my ear buds at loud levels today. I wonder if its always there and my brain learned how to discard it.... Until I was reminded of it and thought about it for a second.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #56
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
There is definitely something psychological about tinnitus. I have had it for years but over the last couple it has nearly stopped. Then I read this thread and its blaring. I did listen to my ear buds at loud levels today. I wonder if its always there and my brain learned how to discard it.... Until I was reminded of it and thought about it for a second.
Heh heh, yah know I've never thought about tinnitus, I didn't know what it was and I still don't think I really know what it is.

If you're talking about hearing frequencies when there ain't none then I guess I've got it too. It's just occasionally, but it can come on at any time. Most of the time I don't think I realize it but it still might be there. I think it occurs more often than I realize but something needs to spark my attention to it. Heh heh actually I think all I have to do is think about it and I can hear it.

However, I think my situation might have something to do with old age, I've had some of my best older friends tell me they hear it and it drives some of them nuts.

Most of the time for me it's pretty high, maybe around 3 to 4Khrz. Occasionally though it's around 400 to 500 hfz and is a definite ringing in the ear.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:18 AM   #57
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod
I think it occurs more often than I realize but something needs to spark my attention to it
Yeah, another one of those weird Tinnitus deals.

Often times, distracting attention by using a white noise mask, etc., can be very effective.

Sometimes you can use the mind to "pure will" it away by simply ignoring it.

Strange beast indeed.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #58
stratotak

I hear a very,very low high pitch wine sound.Like a sine wave or some thing when wearing over the ear headphones and in a relative quiet surrounding.. I always thought it was just normal.The headphone muffle out external high frequencies so the high pitch wine Is more noticeable If I "listen" for it.Take headphones off and cant hear it anymore.I think what I am hearing is the sound of silence.
Either that or I am picking up very low high frequency message from aliens living under ground on Mars.
stratotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #59
karbomusic

Quote:
hear a very,very low high pitch wine sound.Like a sine wave or some thing when wearing over the ear headphones and in a relative quiet surrounding..
Me too, oh, hi sweety, didn't see you behind me... :P