Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
X. O. Apodo
Human being with feelings

Default Add TOOL bar on right click.

Hello,

The current right click on the track has a drop down menu. It would be great if there was a toggle on the top of the list one for MENU and the other for TOOLS. TOOLS as in Cubase, scissors, glue, select, point, scrub etc. This way you can have your MENU and TOOLS too! (though only one at a time)

I am rather new to Reaper so please keep this in mind.
X. O. Apodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
godly

+1
thx!
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
ivan.lt

We'd have to make a request for tools in the first place?..
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
We'd have to make a request for tools in the first place?..
As you right click on the track on top of the list is MENU and TOOLS. If you click on TOOLS you will always get TOOLS when you right click until you click on MENU and then you will always get the MENU when you right lick until you click on TOOLS …
Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

I think what ivan.it means is that there are no tools (as you know them) in Reaper. You are proposing a way to access something that doesn't yet really exist.

That said, there are ways to emulate sort of tool-like behaviors, eg by arming the left mouse button with an action by right clicking on a toolbar button. But it's not the real deal, as you can only arm pure left click. There's no hold-a-modifier-to-alter-the-behavior-of-the-currently-armed-"tool" with this method. And you need to click on the toolbar button again to un-arm. All in all a pretty poor workaround, methinks.

If we had actions to load saved mouse behaviors (full sets for specific contexts, not just assign a behavior to plain left-click which we already have), we could emulate tools pretty well. That's what I'd recommend to request first, as it's probably the most Reaper-ish way of implementing tools without compromizing Cockos' "Tool-less editing" advertizing .

As of the request itself, it sounds a bit cumbersome to have to choose between menu and "toolbar". I think I'd prefer a more direct method, like alt+right click to spawn a context-sensitive toolbar (with the option to swap what opens up, so that if you prefer you could use plain right click for the toolbar and alt+right click for the menu).

Or...

there is a way to open toolbars at the mouse cursor respecting the context of what's under the cursor, but it's pretty involved to set up (needs a pre-release of SWS extensions, Python ReaScript working and some Python scripting effort, see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137197). I went through it and open/close context sensitive toolbars using a side button of my mouse which is pretty comfortable.
It would be very cool if the devs would consider to have an in-built feature making that possible without all the user effort.
Still doesn't provide real tools, but if it would, I'd prefer this way to access them over what you are requesting as well as over the alternative I mention above - which doesn't mean everybody should or will

Last edited by gofer; 10-12-2014 at 08:11 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
It would be very cool if the devs would consider to have an in-built feature making that possible without all the user effort.
Still doesn't provide real tools, but if it would, I'd prefer this way to access them over what you are requesting as well as over the alternative I mention above - which doesn't mean everybody should or will
Coming soon in SWS (I'm gonna commit tomorrow and then we wait for Jeffos to release it)

Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Swamp Ape

Awesome
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X. O. Apodo View Post
Hello,

The current right click on the track has a drop down menu. It would be great if there was a toggle on the top of the list one for MENU and the other for TOOLS. TOOLS as in Cubase, scissors, glue, select, point, scrub etc. This way you can have your MENU and TOOLS too! (though only one at a time)

I am rather new to Reaper so please keep this in mind.
yes. I am for it. 25 years of Cubase usage has its impacts. :-) btw, I find this a really good feature in Cubase, and I have no clue, but I dont think that this is such a great effort to implement that into Reaper. because there are such a lot of amzing things already build in, that I think this should be easily doable. or???

+1 from me for this.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Coming soon in SWS (I'm gonna commit tomorrow and then we wait for Jeffos to release it)

Hello Breeder,

As I mentioned earlier I am new to Reaper. I work with Cubase 7.5 and Studio One V2 more often but am looking to find a single DAW that will satisfy my workflow and feature requirements. I am hoping that Reaper is the one to become my one and only DAW. I am an intermediate Windows user.

Not sure what to make of your post other than to say it looks great what you are doing. I do not totally understand what you are doing and if it will accommodate my feature request. Waiting a couple days and installing your creation may help in understanding its nature. Need to learn however how this is accomplished.

One item that I find extremely useful in Cubase it the PLAY tool. Place this TOOL anywhere on the track and hear the audio even on muted tracks. From what I understand is that you can only make tools that are supported in Reaper and cannot make a new feature or new tool.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #10
Breeder

Quote:
One item that I find extremely useful in Cubase it the PLAY tool. Place this TOOL anywhere on the track and hear the audio even on muted tracks. From what I understand is that you can only make tools that are supported in Reaper and cannot make a new feature or new tool.
Download the latest SWS (pre-release, scroll down a bit): http://sws.mj-s.com/ and search the action list for "sws preview mouse". Again, not tool per se, but the functionality should be the same.

Last edited by Breeder; 10-13-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Download the latest SWS (pre-release, scroll down a bit): http://sws.mj-s.com/ and search the action list for "sws preview mouse". Again, not tool per se, but the functionality should be the same.
Sorry for taking more of your time.
I am a bit confused:
You suggested to download and install:
The current DOWNLOAD LAST BETA/PRE-RELEASE v2.4.0 #10 - July 11, 2014
But was the "sws preview mouse” added to the July 11, 14 beta?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

It's in there. Comes with lots of flavors to choose from, to preview dry or through the track FX/faders, sync or not, start from mouse or item start, pause the ordinary playback (should it run) or not...
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
X. O. Apodo

Thanks for helping me with my issues.

I installed sws-v2.4.0.10-x64-install.exe. I started to read the SWS manual and got to a point where I paused and thought this looks rather complicated and time consuming. I will let it go till Reaper 5 is released.

I am currently considering, Cubase, Studio one, Sonar and Reaper to become my one and only DAW. I really love all these DAW’s but they are short 2 to 3 feature request of becoming my ultimate one and only exclusive DAW. Just tired of going back and forth between these DAW’s and never fully become proficient in any one of them.

So I will wait till the time comes and if Reaper wins my exclusivity I will revisit this thread and try one more time to implement SWS.

Am I overreacting? Is it easier than it seems? I hate to trouble people here with really dumb questions in order to set up the SWS extension.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
Swamp Ape

If you ran the installer it's done, there's nothing else to do. If you're looking for that specific action just look in the list.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #15
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
Awesome
I don't think that a forum post could ever properly convey the awe these functions are due. Very awesome! Just in time for the reap
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
EricM

Quote:
Am I overreacting? Is it easier than it seems? I hate to trouble people here with really dumb questions in order to set up the SWS extension.
Not overreacting at all - it's simply not that easy to
get out of a certain mindset, or tool-set for that matter.

I left Cubase for Reaper and had the same wish to create
a toolbar. But the problem is Reaper is not designed with
'tools' in mind, and there was always some kind of a workaround
I had to deal with to get the same workflow as I did, untill
I realized I could actually adapt it to tool-less design.

When a mouse cursor is already at a certain position, why not
simply hit a keyboard shortcut and trigger the function, instead
of two-step switching the tool, and activating it by mouse clicking?
My left hand is always on the keyboard, so it's just a matter
of pressing the right keys, and I have all functionality available
instantly. Without tools I'm able to work way faster.

But of course - Reaper is about options, so I fully support the
proper ability to generate your own tools.

e