Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Jacos
Human being with feelings

Default How to make time selection within item?

I am trying to set my MMs for editing, and cannot find a way to make an item area selection (as opposed to selecting whole item, or a whole-project time selection).

In Reaper 4 Explained, Kenny shows a L drag on an item (within a time selection- coincidental?) , achieving selection of an area of an item.

The video shows the two different areas, creaing a visual split at half the item height. I assume this is to show that the selection being made is in the item alone.

I can't remember ever having achieved this, though I may have made it impossible with my other MMS, (many of which don't work, so there is something or things I am doing wrong).

Having just rewatched that part of "Reaper 4 Explained"/"Editing", over and over, and tried various resetting of MMs to no avail, I would really appreciate any explanation. I am still searching the forum re: this issue, so sorry if there is a thread already somewhere, please point me to it. Thanks
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
cheyrn

I'm new and don't know what MM means. Marker manager? So, maybe I am addressing the wrong question. To make a time selection, by default, Alt+right mouse drag. Or, you can use combinations of editing time/loop selection if you don't need time selection to be independent of loop selection.

You can then create a region from the time selection (Markers: insert region from time selection (Shift-R by default) and convert the region to markers (SWS: Create region from markers, which I think means you have to installed SWS extensions).
cheyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
cheyrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyrn View Post
I'm new and don't know what MM means. Marker manager? So, maybe I am addressing the wrong question. To make a time selection, by default, Alt+right mouse drag. Or, you can use combinations of editing time/loop selection if you don't need time selection to be independent of loop selection.

You can then create a region from the time selection (Markers: insert region from time selection (Shift-R by default) and convert the region to markers (SWS: Create region from markers, which I think means you have to installed SWS extensions).
Err.. Create markers from region, I mean.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Tim Ragnur

I think MMs=mouse modifiers.

You can also do it by (default) left dragging in empty track area - the mouse pointer will show a cursor.
In MMs it's called "select time".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacos View Post
The video shows the two different areas, creaing a visual split at half the item height. I assume this is to show that the selection being made is in the item alone.
This sounds like more than just a marking. Guessing the item was split and maybe even put in a second take or something. Screenshots?

Last edited by Tim Ragnur; 10-18-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
Jacos

Cheyrn, thank you for your reply and the tip about the SWS action to create region from markers.

Tim, thanks, yes, I meant mouse modifiers. I can select time, either by L dragging in track or by Cmd- L dragging in item, having set those among my MM prefs for track and item contexts. I'm not using the Arrange-context R-drag for this as it confuses me to have to R drag in arrange and L drag in item - but maybe this is where I've gone wrong and lost a valuable default while customizing my MMs.

So no, nothing to do with markers. I'm just trying to select an area of a single item, without selecting time/items in numerous tracks. In the video, Kenny shows an item within a time selection in a blank track, (conincidental? I don't know) then puts mouse cursor within both vertical and horizontal edges of item, drags to select an area of the item, then with another command trims to selection; so yes the item was split. I can do that too if I select the time, then the item, then trim. But its the single-item-area single-drag selection that I want to achieve, if possible.

I'm going to have to learn to do screen shots. I've seen a link somewhere, I'll try to do that this week. But I couldn't post a screenshot of Kenny's excellent video without asking his permission, so maybe I'll have to post in one of his threads!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
cheyrn

If I create a time/loop selection it's independent of which items I have selected. Cut, for example, only cuts in the selection within the items that are selected.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
stevewisnoski

mm=metronome marking
stevewisnoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #8
triton60

Jacos,

Can you please let us know the time in the editing video where you are seeing this happen?

Kenny is most likely using a custom action to acheive this.

Have you tried using the mouse modifiers "Select time" or "Marquee select items and time" for Media Item - left drag? This will get you the selection part while the mouse is in the media item.

Andrew.
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
...its the single-item-area single-drag selection that I want to achieve, if possible.
There is no area selection of single items in Reaper, I'm afraid.

I think triton is onto something. If you mean what's happening at 4.28 in the editing video, that's "Marquee select items and time". It does a time selection and at the same time selects the item(s) within the marquee rectangle.
He probably does it with alt+right drag (mouse modifiers [arrange][right drag]), which is default, not with a left drag. He is saying "right click", but either he has changed the defaults, or forgets to mention the Alt modifier.

You can assign it to [item][left drag] if you prefer that.

Last edited by gofer; 10-19-2014 at 03:01 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 AM   #10
Jacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton60 View Post
Jacos,

Can you please let us know the time in the editing video where you are seeing this happen?

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. Reaper 4 Explained/Editing/4:28-4:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton60 View Post
Have you tried using the mouse modifiers "Select time" or "Marquee select items and time" for Media Item - left drag? This will get you the selection part while the mouse is in the media item.
I have. I have tried setting various different modifiers for the Media Item context, with all the variations on "Select time" - ignoring TS, ignoring Snap, or plain Select time. In every case the result is just that I make a new time selection, across all tracks.

Marquee select items selects the whole item/s, not just the area within the time selection.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #11
Jacos

Thanks Gofer - just missed you! Yes, that's the bit - but old threads show item area editing...has this changed? Or perhaps what I saw were illustrations of feature requests...I do get a bit lost in the forum.

EDIT: thanks for the clarification, Gofer. The main thing, it doesn't seem I've seriously messed up my Reaper. I can certainly live with doing it that way.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
I have. I have tried setting various different modifiers for the Media Item context, with all the variations on "Select time" - ignoring TS, ignoring Snap, or plain Select time. In every case the result is just that I make a new time selection, across all tracks.

Marquee select items selects the whole item/s, not just the area within the time selection.
It's "Marquee select items and time". It's a combined selection of a time range plus selection of (whole) items which in Reaper means "do something whith respect to the time range, affecting only the selected items".
That's Reaper's humble rendition of an area selection. In Kenny's video the time selection can barely be seen on tracks without items, that might lead to misunderstanding.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
triton60

Reaper is so configurable there are many ways of accomplishing things, but I would rather have it this way
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #14
Jacos

Thank you so much Gofer for the full explanation. I have now used this action, and I get the "Kenny effect". The action being titled, in the Menu, "Marquee select items, sets time selection" (changing to "Marquee select item and time") further confused me, as Action List is not available in this context.

I would love to understand better HOW time selection interacts with various other commands, but this is a great start.

I agree triton [EDIT sorry, Andrew], and I try to figure out as much as I can by myself, trial and error. The results already are great.

Thank you all for your help in this thread.