Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
simpsongb
Human being with feelings

Default Home Project Studio - Almost There

Fellow Reaperites! I post this to encourage you all. I have just about completed the creation of an 11'X14' recording/mixing space in my basement. The walls are painted concrete. The floor is unfinished concrete. The ceiling is 26" joists with R13 insulation, facing down, and then covered with fabric.

I purchased 18 2X4 Roxul Rockboard 60 panels, and built 4 4" 2X4 bass traps for the four main corners, and then built 7 2" 2X4 broadband traps and 3 2X4 gobos (also 2" thick). The pics below show the placement, including one 2X4 panel above the mix position.

I designed the layout with maximum trapping at the mix end of the room, and less in the live end, where I will be tracking mostly guitar and banjo and vocals.

The Roxul panels cost $220 for the 16...and then I used 1X2 furring strips and burlap....all in all it has been an adventure.

I can say that the mix position is definitely improved. Separation is more notable, and all instruments and vocals are clearer and more discernable.... I am confident that the live end will sound great........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04978-small.jpg (24.1 KB, 578 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04981-small.jpg (47.9 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04982-small.jpg (63.5 KB, 632 views)

Last edited by simpsongb; 05-06-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: want the jpgs to show as pics
simpsongb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Awesome! And also portable

I give the official guerrilla recording seal of approval
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Wolffman

Nice job !!

Looking forward to hearing some Guitar - Banjo ( Bluegrass ?) music made in your new space.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Cosmic

Lovely room!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
simpsongb

gorillas are welcome!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
kindafishy

Room looks great. I'm planning to do something similar. Hoping to get it done in the next year or so.

Shouldn't you have your corner bass traps floor to ceiling? You're still going to have problems with the upper corners of your room from what I've read...
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
simpsongb

Yup. Floor to ceiling is the recommended method........my hopes is that the fact that the ceiling corners are fabric..insulation...not hard, will reduce the reflections in those upper corners. The very first time I sat down to mix I was honestly amazed at the improvement in clarity. It made the studio monitors "come alive" if you will.......

I was trying to use REW to test the room response, but am too cheap to buy an omni mic for sampling.

So I have decided that anything I do in terms of corners, sound reflection, etc, will certainly improve the room's sound. My biggest concern actually, was that the trapping would deaden the room too much. It does not seem to have, but I have not tracked any acoustic yet. I am in hopes that my Martin D-18 (circa 1978) will sound lovely at the live end, with a concrete floor, and less traps..