Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
travlin sam
Human being with feelings

Default how transfer reaper files from one pc to pc

hi, i tried to see if there were anymore post like this but found none. mabee some one can help me. here's my question, let's say i have 16 tracks i recorded on my laptop and i want to get those tracks to my desktop to mix, (desktop more powerful). the reaper version on my laptop is 4 and my desktop is 3.7 (i think, never upgraded on that one) if that matters. i'm thinking mabee you could use a usb memory stick to transfer files. also if i have different plug-ins on my desktop than my laptop will they work? thanks in advance for any help. i hope i wrote this where everyone will understand my question. thanks again, sam
travlin sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Mr. Data

You've mentioned a few potential problems already.

First off: If your lappy runs Reaper 4.x and your desktop Reaper 3.7, there might be functiones you used in the R4 project that R3.7 doesn't understand. This isn't necessarily a problem, because Reaper (on the desktop) tells you about this and you have to decide yourself, whether you can still work with the project.

The second problem might be the lack of plug-ins on your desktop-computer. You need to have installed the same plug-ins you have installed on the laptop or you render the fx to additional tracks if you don't want to make changes to the effects themselves when mixing.

You can use a memory stick to transfer the project. The best way is to save the project directly to the stick and tick "Create subdirectory for project" and "Copy all media into project directory" in the save dialog. If the project is on the stick, you can either load it directly from there (which I wouldn't recommend) or copy it to a HD on the desktop computer.

-Data
Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
travlin sam

Thanks Mr. data, that helps alot. i have almost all plug-ins on both pc's just have a few api plugs on desktop that is not on laptop. i will give the memory stick a go (downloading the file to my hardrive) thanks a million for your help, samuel
travlin sam is offline   Reply With Quote