Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
jonespnice
Human being with feelings

Default Has anyone had any success syncing Reaper (as a slave) to other sequencers?

I can get Reaper to sync to other sequencers as long as Reaper is the master but I can not get Reaper to sync as a slave to any other sequencer, has anyone had any success with this? I've tried with several sequencers including the Korg Triton, MPC 4000, MPC Renaissance, Maschine, and even a old Roland VS-880 EX hard disk recorder but with no luck. I was able to do it with other Daws particularly Sonar. If anyone can explain the process I would very much appreciate it.
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Lazarus

I can slave Reaper to MTC here.

- Make sure the MIDI input you are sending MTC through is enabled in Preferences

- Right click on the play button in Reaper

- Check 'Enable...' box

- Select MTC: YourMIDIInput

- Either manually press play in Reaper when you want it to play/sync, or check 'Start playback on valid timecode when stopped' to start automatically.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
jonespnice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I can slave Reaper to MTC here.

- Make sure the MIDI input you are sending MTC through is enabled in Preferences

- Right click on the play button in Reaper

- Check 'Enable...' box

- Select MTC: YourMIDIInput

- Either manually press play in Reaper when you want it to play/sync, or check 'Start playback on valid timecode when stopped' to start automatically.
Thanks Lazarus for your response. I can get it working syncing to MTC but you have to manually input the correct tempo into Reaper to match the sequencer it is synced to but it drifts off time, ever so slightly, but if you sync a full 4 minute song it will be noticeable.
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
Lazarus

I've been testing this and get much tighter timing using the 'High precision system timestamp' in the Configure MIDI Input dialogue. I notice that the notes in this say to match the precision of the MIDI driver, so maybe this is just helpful with the ones I am using (loopMIDI, from an Atari emulator). Listened up to 8 minutes with zero audible drift here.

Maybe give that and/or the Low precision one (to see if it's a match) and see if there's a difference?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
jonespnice

Will do, thanks Lazarus.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Lazarus

No worries.