Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Melodeath
Human being with feelings

Default Export is not the same sound as playback

Hi guys, long time Reaper user here. I am mixing a project right now and I happened to notice that one particular part of the song sounds DIFFERENT after I export it than when I am in Reaper doing playback. It's very obvious because the sound difference is like a pause in the vocals between words. In playback from Reaper, the words are nice and connected. On export, it sounds like the vocalist ended the first word and took a breath before the second.

I first noticed it when I exported as mp3, so I tried wav. This made no difference. I then tried exporting only a few seconds right where the audio gets exported differently. Now it sounds fine, just like Reaper playback. I expanded that Time Selection to 17 seconds witht he offending area in the middle, exported, and again everything sounds fine. Then I Time Select the whole song, and now the change is apparent again in the exported file. This was all in Reaper 4.32, so I tried updating to 4.71, but it did not change the issue. I tried Offline Render as well as Online, and neither one sound the same as Reaper playback when I export the entire song.

Any ideas? I have tried bypassing FX on my Master Buss, and this does not make a difference either.
Melodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Melodeath
Human being with feelings

This seems to have been caused by automating bypass and un-bypass of the effect ReaPitch. It was somehow causing an artifact/hiccup in the vocal a second after the automation point during export, but not playback. To fix the issue, I left the plug-in ON the whole song, and instead automated the Wet/Dry option. Why in the world does this happen, though?
Melodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Hard to tell, maybe you could've gotten away with rendering 1x realtime or online instead of offline but generally it's not so recommendable to automate bypass for latency-introducing plug-ins like pitch-shifters, convo reverbs, read-ahead dynamics etc. because this has at least to happen a good amount of time before and after any signal will pass the plug-in, otherwise you may get artifacts. Automating dry/wet instead on the other hand is safe since the plug-in is always "on".

Could also be yet another plug-in in conjunction with ReaPitch causing this.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote