Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
sridhar
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 64 bit plugin directory (SOLVED)

Hi I've noticed a peculiar issue with Reaper regarding detection of 64 bit plug-ins. The problem is that when adding the plug-in path for 64 bit plug-ins Reaper doesn't detect all plugins in that folder or plug-ins residing in sub-folders. For instance if I add the path "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins" which contains sub-folders (for example "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Native Instruments") it doesn't detect plug-ins within the Native Instruments folder. Whereas the same procedure in the 32 bit plug-in folder ("C:\Program Files(x86)\Vstplugins") allows Reaper to detect all plug-ins within sub-folders.

A workaround that works for the 64-bit folder is that I add the specific sub-folder to the plug-in path in reaper (pointing reaper to "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Native Instruments"). So in case it doesn't detect a specific plug-in I create another folder and point Reaper to it.

I should note that there is no such issue with the x86 folder path. It detects all plug-ins without any issue.

I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this issue or am I the only one with this problem. I'm running the 64-bit version of Reaper on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can advice me on this situation. Thanks.
sridhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
pattste

I am not able to reproduce this problem here. I'm running 4.31/x64. My plugin path in Preferences is set to:

C:\VSTPlugIns64

My plugins are in subdirectories below this, for instance:

C:\VSTPlugIns64\FabFilter
C:\VSTPlugIns64\Nomad Factory

Reaper finds the plugins during the scan and they are available for use.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
sridhar

Ok thanks for trying. I'll try reinstalling reaper and see what happens.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
spinweb

I'm unable to get Reaper V64 to find Melodyne. I've posted to the Celemony board and had someone there from the company verify the same problem.

Here's my post and the person's reply:

My Specs:

DAW: Reaper 4.31/x64

Product: Melodyne Essential 2.1.0 VST

Problem:

I cannot find Melodyne in my 64-bit DAW's VSTs or VSTis. The 32-bit is fine.

When I search my entire machine for Melodyne.dll I get the two (x86) paths below and the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\Celemony\Melodyne path.

Here are all the paths to plug ins in my DAW:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins\Native Instruments;
C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins;
C:\Program Files\Celemony\Melodyne singletrack;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\Celemony\Melodyne;
C:\Program Files\Celemony\Melodyne singletrack

I don't see where it can be hiding. Is the 64-bit filname other than Melodyne.dll?

The paths to plugins in my 32-bit DAW are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins\zplane;
C:\Program Files\Celemony\Melodyne singletrack;
C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugIns

Thanks!

Eric

Celemony's response:

Hello Eric,

thanks for your mail. I just tried the latest Reaper version on my Win 7 system (which is btw not an officially tested configuration).
My VST plugins in 64 bit are located in Programs/Common Files/Steinberg/VST2 but that is a path, that might differ depending on your preferences. It is the path that Steinberg uses.

I pointed Reaper X64 to this path and was not successful either.

Of course, I defined Melodyne to install in that specific path, too. In my case, it is in the same folder (being in a subfolder like other plugins).

In your case, I recommend to uninstall Melodyne using the Windows routine. But as said, I can't make it work, too.
Also delete this file:
User/Name/AppData/Roaming/Celemony Software GmbH/com.celemony.melodyne singletrack.plist

However, I recommend that you report the issue to Cockos.

With best wishes,
Ulf Kaiser
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
sridhar

I am able to find the 64-bit version of Melodyne by placing the melodyne.dll in it's own folder and adding that folder to the vst path in reaper preferences. Maybe you should try that and see if it works.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
spinweb

Thanks for that, sridhar....

Is there only one Melodyne.dll that works with both 32- and 64-bit?

A question about paths to plug-ins... Does the order of paths matter?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
bradleyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinweb View Post
A question about paths to plug-ins... Does the order of paths matter?
Yes it does matter very much.

This has my settings for Reaper x64. If you read the sentence beneath the paths you'll understand what's happening.
Sometimes a plugin will have 2 names to distinguish between x86 and x64. In this case open the plugin's x64 folder and give it the same name as the one in the x86 folder. This will stop your plugins folder from being cluttered with both versions.
For Reaper x86 reverse the order the plugins are scanned. So in my case this would be C:\VST64;C:\VST32.
HTH Steve

Last edited by bradleyfilms; 03-28-2013 at 04:51 PM.
bradleyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
sridhar

No, the 32-bit & 64-bit plugins are two distinct .dll files. Try searching your drive for Melodyne.dll, the 32/64-bit files will probably be of different file sizes even though they share the same exact filename (i'm guessing 64-bit will be larger).

Maybe you should try copying the plugin to a path where reaper is definitely detecting other plugins (i.e. if reaper detects other plugins in "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins" try copying Melodyne.dll there and see if it detects it)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
spinweb

Bingo!

I put it in here:
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins\Melodyne; and it found it. I also revised my paths to plug-ins.... got rid of 3 paths that found nothing.. and
went up one level in the VSTPlugins folder so it finds all my plugs.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins; C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns; C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins;
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
lowellben

I thought it was just me, but on Windows 8 x64 here it's the same. The subfolders seem to be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar View Post
Hi I've noticed a peculiar issue with Reaper regarding detection of 64 bit plug-ins. The problem is that when adding the plug-in path for 64 bit plug-ins Reaper doesn't detect all plugins in that folder or plug-ins residing in sub-folders. For instance if I add the path "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins" which contains sub-folders (for example "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Native Instruments") it doesn't detect plug-ins within the Native Instruments folder. Whereas the same procedure in the 32 bit plug-in folder ("C:\Program Files(x86)\Vstplugins") allows Reaper to detect all plug-ins within sub-folders.

A workaround that works for the 64-bit folder is that I add the specific sub-folder to the plug-in path in reaper (pointing reaper to "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Native Instruments"). So in case it doesn't detect a specific plug-in I create another folder and point Reaper to it.

I should note that there is no such issue with the x86 folder path. It detects all plug-ins without any issue.

I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this issue or am I the only one with this problem. I'm running the 64-bit version of Reaper on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can advice me on this situation. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
sridhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Yes it does matter very much.

This has my settings for Reaper x64. If you read the sentence beneath the paths you'll understand what's happening.
Sometimes a plugin will have 2 names to distinguish between x86 and x64. In this case open the plugin's x64 folder and give it the same name as the one in the x86 folder. This will stop your plugins folder from being cluttered with both versions.
For Reaper x86 reverse the order the plugins are scanned. So in my case this would be C:\VST64;C:\VST32.
HTH Steve

Hey thanks a lot for clearing that up. I can't believe i didn't read the line right below the plugin path. This has resolved the issue. Thanks a lot.

@lowellben. You should try changing the plugin path as suggested in the quote. It worked for me, i think it should fix the issue.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #12
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

sorry to bump such an old thread but i encountered this issue today, a VST installer installed its dlls to "Program Files/Common Files/VST/Manufacturer Name", so I added "Program Files/Common Files/VST" to Reapers VST scan folder paths, and the plugin didnt show up... I had to add the subdirectory "Program Files/Common Files/VST/Manufacturer Name" to get it to work.

However my main VST folder, "D:/VST" is fine with subdirectories? Whats the deal?