Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Basil
Human being with feelings

Default Latency Problems when using direct monitoring

Hi,
I'm using a Edirol UA-25 Audio MIDI USB Interface, for recording vocals and when I use the direct monitoring I get a delay double effect without having any FX even turned on.

The Computer I use is Win XP Hm, 1.8 GHZ, 1024MB Ram 1600MHZ system bus

Right now I have device setting in Reaper set at

Audio System : Direct Sound

The Input and Output are set for the Edirol UA-25 Interface

Sample format: 24 bit

Samplerate: 44100hz

Buffer 8 X 1040 samples

Latency: 188ms

After reading through the forum 188ms latency is very high and I also understand by changing the buffer and samples rate the latency rate changes which will help with direct monitor problem.

What are good buffer and sample setting for recording vocals so I can have the smallest latency possible with causing clicks or any recording problems?

Also will changing the Sample format to 16 bit help?

Thanks in advance for any help or other tips on this subject.

Basil
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Your interface comes with low latency ASIO drivers. Select them in the preferences instead of DirectSound and try how low you can set the ASIO buffers without getting problems. At any rate that'll be faster than 188ms.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Basil

Ok ...I just went to my audio settings and chose ASIO Driver and picked the one for the Edirol UA-25interface. Clicked on the default settings and clicked ok and than I get a Reaper Error message.

Ther was an error while opening your audio hardware:
Error initalizing ASIO drive
Would you like to view your audio device configuration?

Hum...Don't know what to do next?

Last edited by Basil; 12-07-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
spikemullings

Basil, Steindork (as always) is right that you should try to get your ASIO set up sorted and hopefully he or someone else will come in and help with the error message, but in the meantime if you still want to use direct monitoring without having the delay effect then you just need to turn off input monitoring on the track you are recording.
The delay effect is caused by you hearing the direct monitoring sound closely followed by the Reaper input monitoring sound with added latency. It follows that switching off input monitoring will let you just hear the no-latency direct monitoring sound.
Hope that makes sense and good luck with the ASIO issues.

I don't know how the buffer setting work on the edirol. I would open the audio device configuration and set the buffer to 1024 if you can and then see if that works. Then if it does , work down through the buffer sizes to get as low as you can without it falling over. Remember that the higher track and plug in count in your project the higher you will need the buffer to be to avoid drop outs and the like. That is why direct monitoring is so useful. You can have a stable high buffer setting and still monitor what you are recording without latency.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Anaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemullings View Post
It follows that switching off input monitoring will let you just hear the no-latency direct monitoring sound.
Hi!

I just "built" a new mobile set up (Maudio Oxygen 8, Toshiba Satellite, EMU 0404 usb and Reaper), today I tried to find the right settings. Everything works well but as I ercord my guitar direct into my soundcard, there's some king of chorus/delay to it. If I switch off the monitoring of the track, I don't have any sound... I supposed that my settings are not right, could you help me?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Basil

@Steindork

Would you know if I could use a different ASIO driver with the Edirol that can produce a lower latency?

The best setting I can use with the edirol driver is comming in at 17.9 round trip and it's just enough to throw off my timing for vocals
I'm starting to think maybe just use the interface direct dry monitoring and forget using Reapers direct monitoring with FX.

Last edited by Basil; 12-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Ther was an error while opening your audio hardware:
Error initalizing ASIO drive
Would you like to view your audio device configuration?
Either another application has taken hold of the driver, or the installation went wrong. Close all other apps, and try again. If that doesn't work, try re-installing the driver.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Basil

@spikemullings
I've been using this set up for awhile, but never used the direct monitoring feature. IE....I've been recoring vocals dry now I'd like to add some reverb and a few other FX while I track and the only way to hear this is through direct monitoring. So I do understand the concept....Thanks

I'll set the buffer samples to 1024 and try lowering the size and see where this takes me for now untill I get this ASIO driver problem worked out.

@Fabian
I was thinking about this last night and I'll have to look deeper into this ...maybe I'll have to uninstall and restall the driver and see if this clear up the problems.

IE....Do any of you know what are real world latency numbers for this type of USB interface type of device?

I ask this because even after I get this driver problem worked out I still don't know if using direct monitoring with fx will cause timing problems because of latency.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Basil

Ok...got the AISO driver problem solved.

Next when I move the buffer setting to the lowest setting I get
upper right corner of Reaper 6.4/3.1ms ASIO and there is still a phase/doubler effect on the voice and cliking noise when using the direct monitor. Next buffer setting is 6.4/4.1ms ASIO and it about the same phase/douber and clicking noise. Next buffer setting 8.6/7.3ms ASIO and there the same problems. Next buffer setting 8.6/9.3 ASIO at this setting the clicking seems to have stopped, but there is still the phase/douber issues.

Question #1....is this a normal average latency?
Question #2....is there something else I can try to get the latency down?

Thanks for any help on this subject.

Basil