Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default [IID #2269] Actions to VIEW Selection/Loop Edges

Link to FR. Please vote here.
Learn more about the Feature Request tracker here

Summary: Currently the "go to" start and end actions also move the cursor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox
Both the go to start and end of time selection and loop actions could use a view exclusive set of actions.

The current actions move the edit cursor and play cursor by extension. This is especially inconvenient when trying to cut a loop from existing audio without abrupt changes/clicks at repeat.

Such loops can be quickly created by shifting the view between edges at a sufficient zoom level and adjusting them accordingly. At the moment, this doesn't work well while listening to the loop. Long loops start over every time you view the beginning and play on past the loop section if you view the end due to the cursor relocation.

Adding complementary "go to" commands for the view would nicely complete this action functionality.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Would be called "move to" in reaper's action terminology.
So this would be a request for having 'move to' cousins to those actions that are currently only available as 'go to' actions.

...I think...
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

ahh thanks mercado...i uh meant to do that myself. but clearly you are more on top of my shit than i!

oh and just be extra tidy i suppose i should have a link to my previous failed attempt at this feature request: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2083
Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
airon

I definitely see the need for this. Several times a day I want to zoom in to the END of my selections in Protools, which the time selection sort of is in Reaper.

This is a good thing.

Would you like a default zoom level to be set up in the preferences , or just use the current zoom level ? My zoom homes in on the edit cursor, so I'd probably want to set up a 100 ms zoom or something, to edit the time selection edges in detail.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Would you like a default zoom level to be set up in the preferences , or just use the current zoom level ? My zoom homes in on the edit cursor, so I'd probably want to set up a 100 ms zoom or something, to edit the time selection edges in detail.
definitely the current zoom level. i use the mouse cursor as the zoom point and the wheel to zoom. but one could easily combine this requested action with a zoom preset action if one prefers an oft used zoom level for such things.

granted im no programmer, but since the "go to play cursor" action centers the view without relocating the edit cursor, this behavior is clearly not foreign to reaper code and such an implementation should be a snap. ive actually been thinking of trying to learn some python for things like this. i wonder if thats something that could be done with it and if its worth taking up yet another hobby... it took me lots of hours but i did come very close to getting mousewheel scrolling into cubase with autohotkey...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
foxAsteria

why do we need this? because time selection is critical to editing and using these actions during playback disrupts the play position.

i find myself needing these in macros all the time, but since i like to edit during playback, this is a problem.

please vote, it's a simple request.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
One simple side question: If you set mousewheel to zoom horizontally, at mouse cursor, is there still a need for this request? I am using this method and I feel I can quickly zoom anywhere I want, as precise as I want. Without affecting the playback, too.
i do use the mousewheel for that, but it's not so much about zooming or viewing. it's the fact that you can't move the edit cursor to the time selection for any reason without disrupting playback.

in a lot of macros i use the time selection for reference, but then those macros are moving the playhead as well. no good.

it's a major obstacle to arranging and editing live.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
foxAsteria

@TonE
First of all, Time Selection is crucial to the editing process, well at least mine. Anyway, that's it's entire purpose. And in my extensive experience, referencing it is literally the ONLY way to accomplish certain things (too many and too complex examples to list; I'll find a good one in a bit, but especially macros you might want to use when away from the screen).

Therefore it is absolutely necessary to have actions to move the cursor to it without disrupting playback. Obviously, not everyone needs to edit during uninterrupted playback, but since this is one of the few crucial editing areas that always disrupts playback, I must insist on the necessity of the feature for anyone who does.

Mainly I feel that Reaper is already so close to allowing unrestricted editing during playback, we should just give it the final push, since it opens up a lot of possibilities for composing (and recording compositions) during live use.