Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
ArsonistSavior
Human being with feelings

Default Question about MIDI and exporting

I'm a newbie to recording and have gotten interested in it since I've taken a break from playing in bands. I've just started using Reaper and for some reason I don't know where to select instruments on the MIDI VSTi nor can I hear any playback sound after I put notes in.

Programs I've used before (cheap ones like Magix and Music Creator 5) wouldn't let me save MIDI alongside recorded guitar, I would open a song to work on it more and it didn't save what I had written, so I had to do everything in one take. Is this cause the program was defective?

Also on Reaper I'm not able to export to mp3. I downloaded the encoder and put it in the Reaper plugin file but it still doesn't work.

I appreciate any help/suggestions.

-James
ArsonistSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
arbogast

Hi. Not sure what you mean by 'select instruments on the MIDI VSTi'. But the lame mp3 encoder should go in the Reaper program directory (typically C:/program files/Reaper/) & not in Reapers plugin dir.

Oh, and welcome to the Reaper forums. You'll like it here - esp. if you have a sense of humour
Old 02-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsonistSavior View Post
I'm a newbie to recording and have gotten interested in it since I've taken a break from playing in bands. I've just started using Reaper and for some reason I don't know where to select instruments on the MIDI VSTi nor can I hear any playback sound after I put notes in.
Instruments of the VSTi must be selected in that VSTi - if it came with some predefined ones. If you insert that VSTi with "new VSTi track" then REAPER will do the necessary audio routing for you.

But you have to care about the MIDI routing. How do you put "notes in"? If this is a MIDI file - dropped as an item onto the track - then double click it. MIDI editor will open. Switch to "event list" and check, on which MIDI channel this MIDI item is sending. You then have to configure your VSTi for this channel. Or use "omni" to receive on all channels. If you play your MIDI keyboard make sure it send on the same MIDI channel as the VSTi will reiceive them.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
g8torcliff

I add the VSTi as an FX on the MIDI track. Whatever instrument is chosen on the VSTi GUI is what you will (should) hear.

For example:
You have a MIDI track
Click the FX button on the track control panel, choose "add FX", pick your VSTi from the window that opens - (NOT a VST...VST's are only effects, VST-i's are virtual instruments.)

So, I choose DSK brass as my VSTi for the MIDI track.
In DSK brass, I pick a tenor sax
On Playback of the MIDI track, I hear a tenor sax.
From there, you can add other FX (vst) such as reverb, compression, echo, etc.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
ArsonistSavior

Alright, so I went to add a VSTi to a MIDI track but I still can't select an instrument.

All I see are:

VSTi: ReaSample Omatic5000
VSTi: ReaSynDr
VSTi: ReaSynth

I can record and play notes (only the default MIDI sound) with the ReaSynth but I still don't know where to select instruments. Does Reaper come with them? I'm not using a controller, on previous programs I was able to just select an instrument and input notes, the reason being I use VSTi drums because I know nothing about drum machines and am always off beat when I try to play keyboard drums. Despite it being time consuming, at the moment I would rather write the drums notes in---unless a drum machine would be easier!!!

I have a keyboard but no MIDI cable. I'm able to use the keyboard by direct input though my guitar pedal, bypassing it and using an aux cable. I just want to use different VSTi mainly for drums and bass.

As for exporting, I put the lame mp3 encoder in the Reaper program directory but it still did not work. I did that before, then tried the plugins folder. Neither worked.

I apologize if I seem boneheaded,recording is really fun and I want to learn what I can.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by ArsonistSavior; 03-01-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
bradleyfilms

Hi James
First off, mp3. Put the lame_enc.dll in the REAPER folder, not the Plugins folder. The only file I ever put in there is SWS extensions because this folder is really for REAPER only plugins.
Now your VSTis. REAPER doesn't come with much because there's so much free stuff anyway. If you haven't already done so, create a new folder like C:\VSTPlugins. Visit eg. KVR audio and download something you fancy and install it into that folder.
Open REAPER and Options -> Preferences -> Plugins VST, set the VST folder path to your folder. Scan it and REAPER will find your new plugin.
If your other software came with plugins you can use add their folder paths too.
A good all-round drum/sampler plugin is shortcircuit.
Being off beat is probably down to latency. Use an ASIO driver if you can and set its buffer size as low as you can, REAPER gives you an idea of the latency in milliseconds top right of screen.
This should get you started.
Steve
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Donovan

Hi James,
Sorry to somewhat hijack your thread, but I am a noob also. I have figured out the VST/VSTi path options and can find my Steven Slate Drums and Guitar Rig 4 as well as what came with REAPER. How, though, do I use the "sounds" that are stored on my Axiom-61? Specifically the base and piano. I want to play the MIDI notes and then assign one of those instruments. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am sure it is very simple, I am just not geting it? Thanks and sorry to divert off topic....
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
bradleyfilms

Hi Donovan, could you explain fully what you mean by "sounds" on your Axiom. I could guess you mean its preset slots, but I would be just guessing.
Steve
Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Donovan

Hey Steve:
Sorry, "sounds" was not necessarily the right choice of words...Not only am I new to digital recording, but MIDI is a whole nother world....I actually meant how do I access the General MIDI instruments stored on my Axiom 61 so when I paly my keyboard I get whatever particualr instrument "sounds" I have chosen out of the specified bank.....right now there are 128 instruments in 16 different banks. Do I have to pull up a virtual synth? Like I mentioned I have figured out how to access Steven SLate Drums, Chris Hein Bass, and Guitar Rig instruments...Just not the one on my own controller. Thanks for your patience.....I hyope I have made more sense.

BTW...I do recognize that my MIDI controller DOES NOT play sounds and only transmitis data....
Just wanting to know how to access the instruments basically

Last edited by Donovan; 03-02-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
ArsonistSavior

Alright, figured out MIDI and VSTi's.

Rendering to mp3 still doesn't work though. I put the encoder in the Reaper directory but I still get the error window.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #11
bradleyfilms

@ James, make sure you have the right encoder, there's a 32 bit and a 64 bit one this thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37891 has the links.

@ Donovan what you're after is sending program change messages to your VSTi, so yes you do need to have a virtual synth there. Ignore the general MIDI labels and instead look at the presets you have for each of your synths. What you must bear in mind is the program change numbers run from 0 to 127 and if the presets are labelled 1 to 128 you will be 1 out, ie program change 10 loads preset number 11.
My keyboard is M-Audio (though not Axiom) but the procedure should be similar, I press "program" followed by the preset's number. That's it, the synth now plays that preset.

Cheers Steve
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
ArsonistSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
@ James, make sure you have the right encoder, there's a 32 bit and a 64 bit one this thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37891 has the links.

Cheers Steve
It worked. Thank you so much Steve I appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone else as well.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Donovan

Steve:
Thanks for the reply. Ok..so here is what I have done. I went in and opened a new project. Inserted virtual instrument on new track. Selected my USB Axiom-61 in the VU meter drop down as my MIDI input source. checked monitor input and record input. armed track to record.I selected Reasynth in my FX panel. Couldn't find any presets for it?? I used the drop down to select default presets for it as well. Next to the drop down menu for presets, there is a little box to the right. i clicked it and tried to "import presets" No luck there either. All i hear is the electric synth sound.
I went to my Axiom-61 and hit program and selected "0" as for acoustic piano. I am still able to hear sounds. However, no matter what program change I do on my controller, I still hear the same electric synth sound. When i record, the data does show up. The playback is also the synth sound no matter what program change I do there either?? Arrggghhh!!! please help
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Donovan

Default found the answer....thanks for helping

Wherare the General MIDI Instruments listed in the appendix of the user guide?
Text size [-] [+]

Q: How do I access the General MIDI Instruments that are listed in the appendix of the user guide for my keyboard? Are these sounds built into my keyboard/controller?

A: The table listing the General MIDI Instrument Program Change Numbers is included as a reference because M-Audio Keyboards are capable of sending MIDI program change messages to recall these sounds in General MIDI compatible devices. With the exception of the ProKeys Sono 61 and 88, these sounds are not built into your M-Audio keyboard/controller. Please refer to your device's User Guide for more information on sending MIDI program change messages.

Note: This does not apply to the ProKeys Sono 61 and Sono 88 keyboards as they do have a GM sound set built-in. Please refer to the user guide for more information on accessing these sounds.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #15
bradleyfilms

Hi Donovan, try this synth instead of Reasynth
http://www.emu.com/promo/proteusvx/
and download the Composer X bank with it. There are some GM presets (well it starts off with a piano). I thimk you need to register for their newsletter, but they don't spam you. It does, however, have 1024 presets, which is where the banks come in. Good practise. Oh, and it's free and sounds bloody good.
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
Donovan

Steve:
Awesome mate....thanks so much for the info....I appreciate it.....I will download and give it a go......
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
Donovan

Steve:
Hello....I signed up and downloaded Proteus VX last PM. When I try to launch it on my PC it freezes up my computer. NOt sure what the problem is?? I am running Win 7 64 bit. Intel i7 quad core 960 3.2GHZ processor and 24 gig RAM with 2 TB Hard drive primary and 1 TB secondary HD. Computer memory and processor should not be the problem?? Compatability with win 7?? 64-bit?? I did see on here where there have been some problems with Proteus. Any suggestions for me.
Thanks,
Donovan
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torcliff View Post
I add the VSTi as an FX on the MIDI track.
For example:
You have a MIDI track
Click the FX button on the track control panel, choose "add FX",
Let me just clarify this there are no MIDI tracks in reaper they are just tracks.

[IMG]http://img687.**************/img687/8376/vsti.jpg[/IMG]