Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
drspearing
Human being with feelings

Default Computer setup questions

I have a 2 processor 32-bit XP system. I'm just getting started with Reaper. My machine has a boot disk and a data disk. Reaper is installed on the boot disk. Do I install all plug-ins on the boot disk as well? Is there a preferred folder layout that makes things more efficient?

I'm getting a 64-bit machine in April but I'm buying some plugs now that I want to play with. What file format should I record with on the 32-bit machine that will be compatible with the 64 bit machine?

Also, do I have to buy a 32-bit and 64-bit license?

Thanks!

Last edited by drspearing; 02-15-2011 at 07:59 AM.
drspearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Schmidty
Human being with feelings

It works well to put your fx on the same drive as your install, mainly just to keep your media drive fast. As far as folder structure, whatever helps you keep track of your plugins will work for Reaper. As long as you direct it to the correct parent folder it will find things in sub folders etc.
I would recomend putting a backup of your Plugins folder, and your templates/fx presets etc. on your media drive so if your boot drive goes up or you have to wipe it, you can rebuild your Reaper setup in just a few minutes.
The file format isn't affected by the PC's bit rate, so I would stay with whatever is working for you now.
No you don't need to buy a separate license.
The only issue you may have is that you need to bridge 32 bit plugins to work on a 64bit machine, and I have heard it can be buggy.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote