Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Troy
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt 5 MIDI Ch's 17-32 & 33-48

I've found several Bank and Program select threads, but I still can't figure this out. I want to access Kontakts MIDI channels 17-32, 33-48, & 49-64.

What I'm hoping to achieve is this:

I compose orchestral works using EWQLSO in Kontaky 5. In one K5 instance I'd like to have 1st violins with all their articulations in page 1 (ch 16-32), 2nd violins in page 2 (ch 17-32), viola's... etc. I'm trying to consolidate how many instances of Kontakt I have loaded for CPU/memory overhead. How do I assign a particular midi event to play on, for example, Page 2, channel 5, while having a note in the same midi object play on page 1, channel 3? I was assuming you'd use a bank select before the note to direct it, but I can't get that to work with my limited understanding of Bank/Program select messages and/or how Kontakt reacts to them.

I work with all string parts in one master midi object and assign individual notes to different midi channels for the articulation played by any one instrument. I really don't want to change this for certain compositional reasons.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
I've found several Bank and Program select threads, but I still can't figure this out. I want to access Kontakts MIDI channels 17-32, 33-48, & 49-64.
Hey Troy, if you're talking about the A, B, C, and D applications, they don't work with Kontakt as dll VSTi files, they only work in Stand-a-lone. You can only access 16 midi channels per instance with the VSTi.

However, there is a lot you can do with Program Changes but I don't use them in Kontakt so someone else will have to help with that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Troy

Damn, I was afraid of that. I'm trying to consolidate the number of K5 instances without have to scroll through 40 loaded articulations in one instance.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Damn, I was afraid of that. I'm trying to consolidate the number of K5 instances without have to scroll through 40 loaded articulations in one instance.
Which libraries are you using? There are things you can do to cut down on the number if instruments but it depends on the library and how much access you have to them.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Troy

I'm primarily using EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum XP, supplemented with various solo instruments as needed.

I've been looking into banks, but it looks like one problem might be that for each articulation you load 3 instruments (different mic positions).
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
I'm primarily using EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum XP, supplemented with various solo instruments as needed.

I've been looking into banks, but it looks like one problem might be that for each articulation you load 3 instruments (different mic positions).
Okay, so it must be the older version since you've got it in Kontakt, I've got EWOL Gold also in Kontakt.

The way I get around some of Kontakts limitations is to use Keyswitches. The main thing I use them for is for creating legato lines. For example, I often want to use the Violin section to create 2 or more legato lines, by using keyswitches I can have 2 to 4 legato lines all going at the same time with different controllers for Mod and Expression so that you have complete control of each legato line separately. You can also do this with different articulations.

The big problem with using Keyswitches with EWOL Gold is the Release Samples or tails. However, I wrote a script to get around this that works well with Gold.

If you're interested I posted a little bit about how it works a while back. This is using the Kontakt library but it can also be used with EWOL Gold and maybe Platinum. This post shows my Kontakt instrument.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=16

This post shows a little how I use it.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=18

This is one of the ways I get around some of this.