Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
zachrwolfe
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Playback Producing Demon-like Noise

Hi guys, I've been using Reaper for several years now and am a big fan, first on Windows and then Mac when I switched over a year ago. Only reason I've never registered here is because I've never had any significant problems that couldn't be solved with a couple Google searches. This problem probably could be solved in that way too, but I hardly know what the problem even is, so I can't word it properly.

So I've been on Reaper version 4.25 for a long time; I've refrained from updating because the last time I updated, my Tascam US-1800 didn't work with it, so I went back to the tried and true 4.25. Since I upgraded to Mavericks, I've been experiencing a significant amount of lag before playing or recording, and I was thinking that surely the bug with the Tascam is fixed by now so I decided to download the newest version to see if the lag had improved. All was well that day, but the day after I installed it, a very odd thing began to happen. Everything I play through Reaper, through any project, is filtered through some sort of effect that I don't recognize. The best way to describe it I would say would be converting it to 8-bit NES audio, then cranking up the formant like 2 octaves or something. Everything you put into it sounds like a cacophonous mess. I've tested only with the built-in audio hardware in my MBP, not the Tascam, but through headphones or built-in speakers this happens. Additionally, I replaced the new version of Reaper with my copy of 4.25 from the trash, and the problem persists, so I'm not totally sure if it's the upgrade causing the problem or if it's just some stupidity on my part. I can post samples if you'd like. Not sure if the problem affects rendering as well, but in the worst scenario I could always record the built-in speakers with my phone.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any help you can all offer. I'm just a hobbyist like many here, but I'd like to record soon, so of course, the sooner the better

Thanks,
Zach
zachrwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Please make sure you checked Options->Preferences->Audio->Device->"Ignore running change notifications (may be required for some devices)" - this is needed for some interfaces (including Tascam) on Mountain Lion and higher.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
zachrwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Please make sure you checked Options->Preferences->Audio->Device->"Ignore running change notifications (may be required for some devices)" - this is needed for some interfaces (including Tascam) on Mountain Lion and higher.
Hey Ollie, thanks for the response. That preference doesn't seem to exist in my old version of Reaper, and the issue occurs even on my laptop's built-in audio, but I opened up the new Reaper and tried checking that box and it still happened. Thanks anyway though!
zachrwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
pixeltarian

I came here to see what demons sound like.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote