Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
Nystagmus
Human being with feelings

Default Disable audio inputs for better playback in WASAPI

i recently discovered that the playback stuttering and unwanted pops and clicks i was getting totally stopped thus far by simply disabling audio input channels. This is done by setting the number of input channels in the preferences to zero (0)! For me, on my system, this seems to reduce glitches more than any other change and now allows the block buffer size also to be lowered, lowering latency! This is on a system running Ubuntu Linux v14.04 LTS and Wine v162. Wine is set for windows xp mode, but luckily WASAPI mode in reaper works anyhow. WASAPI mode is microsofts version of ASIO-style audio handling. It was introduced in Vista (windows 6). Anyways, disabling the input channels might also be helpful in other modes and does not affect MIDI nor rendering nor VST instrument use. So if you hardly ever record incoming audio, this tweak could be really helpful. Good luck!
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
Nystagmus

i forgot to mention how to get to the settings: options - preferences - audio - device - wasapi - input channels: 0. Also, block size can be edited here for lower latency. This seems pretty good on my system using PulseAudio.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
vanhaze

Thx for the info !
Indeed, i can imagine that disabling inputs is in favor of more cpu resources.
But i am not a PC tech guy, so don't pin me on that.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Nystagmus

Default disable anticipative FX processing for VST use

I'm glad it was helpful. I also recently learned that disabling "anticipative FX processing" for all instances of the Reaper preferences seems to help also. From what I learned here, if I understand it correctly, "anticipative FX processing" only helps native Cockos Reaper plugins, and is disadvantageous for VST modules.

But of course, some people use the native Cockos Reaper plugins more than others. For those that use them alot, the setting would be worth it. I only use about 4 of the native Cockos plugins thus far and about 150 different freeware VST's. I can't really afford the performance hit since I'm on Linux.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I'm glad it was helpful. I also recently learned that disabling "anticipative FX processing" for all instances of the Reaper preferences seems to help also. From what I learned here, if I understand it correctly, "anticipative FX processing" only helps native Cockos Reaper plugins, and is disadvantageous for VST modules.

But of course, some people use the native Cockos Reaper plugins more than others. For those that use them alot, the setting would be worth it. I only use about 4 of the native Cockos plugins thus far and about 150 different freeware VST's. I can't really afford the performance hit since I'm on Linux.
At the moment there is a person having difficulties with Waves, Soundtoys and UAD in heavy projects with >100 tracks. Others in the same thread report completely different results. It's meant to help with all plugins but Cockos is aware of problems with UAD (there's a remark about that in the prefs).
All I personally can say is that anticipative mode helps my lowly computer a lot with all kinds of plugins (but neither of the 3 brands in question), not only native Cockos ones. From my experience I'd recommend to only ever switch it off on tracks where you encounter problems (right click on a tcp -> Track performance options -> "Prevent anticipative FX").
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote