Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
ropeadope
Human being with feelings

Default EDM-ish track - appreciate your feedback

This is the first EDM/House track I have made with Reaper and it was a great learning experience and I have a good sense of what I need to improve technically (drum fills, automation, synth design, bass layering). It's a remix of Five Knives - Savages. From the stems, I kept only the vocal and some guitar FX for this track.

Appreciate your feedback! I was going to fix up the drums a lot but I'm going on a trip in a few hours and I just wanted to get this completed :P. Your input has helped me a ton on my mixes in the past.

A little concerned that I had to do final mixdown on headphones since I've been restricted to late night studio work, Ah well.

Here's the track: https://soundcloud.com/intervaldnb/f...avey-c-remix-1
ropeadope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
ropeadope

Bump - hoping to make some improvements on this :-)
Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
darkcloud2973

Wow I wasn't expecting that quality for some reason, ha ha. Sounds professional to me. I'm not listening on my monitors but on my fairly decent sound system with a sub, I think it sounds great. Definitely nothing jumped out as "off"
darkcloud2973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
ropeadope

Thanks darkcloud, really appreciate it. I'm working on some new stuff.. just aimless tinkering really until I find some cool melodies/ideas. Very happy to hear the mixdown sounded nice and clear, I've invested a ton in my studio including new monitors and room treatment and it seems to be paying off!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Petrosfera

I'm with darkcloud, sounds pro. The only thing that I think is slightly off is the snare, seems too overpowering for me (specially in the low area). Kinda distracts me from the vocals. The arrangement sound nice and the vibe is there.
Petrosfera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
oceanographer

Sounds great! If I had to pick anything that could be improved, I'd agree about the snare. I may not have even noticed that if it wasn't mentioned before. Some gentle eq'ing perhaps? Its not terrible, doesn't need much. Very high quality mix though.
oceanographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
ropeadope

Workin on it.. I think a clap or a less boxy/woody snare would be better. I'll try EQ it a bit and see what results I get. Really appreciate the feedback on the overall sound. I need to work on drum fills too, they just mess me up!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropeadope View Post
Workin on it.. I think a clap or a less boxy/woody snare would be better. I'll try EQ it a bit and see what results I get. Really appreciate the feedback on the overall sound. I need to work on drum fills too, they just mess me up!

Sounds good LOVE the hats. TBH i wanted just a tad more bottom end. The Snare's just not popping through the mix. It sounds very deep in the mix. Try to keep it as mono as possible. I think the lead could use some compression as well as the over all mix. Sausage it up a bit just my 2 cents. Could be completely wrong.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote