Old 04-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
TallTaleTV
Human being with feelings

Default Getting to 3db with limiter

Hi guys!

So I THINK I'm getting the hang of this thing. I'm a fledgling podcaster and audiobook narrator. Audible requires that I 'normalize' to 3db

In a separate thread, I was given a crash course that culminated in the advice of don't normalize, use the limiter. Thank you so much for that, you guys are amazing. I think I have it worked out. I think. . .

I was hoping someone could glance at the attached screenshot and tell me if I got the settings right to get a 'normalized' 3db. I'm still having trouble translating from lufs and dbfs. Since my loudness analyzer is in lufs, and my limiter is in dbfs, I had to do a bit of educated guessing.

I took the screenshot during one of the high peaks of the blue meter in the limiter window.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper-Screenshot.jpg (60.9 KB, 252 views)
TallTaleTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
planetnine

Hey up TTTV, welcome to the REAPER forums.

Could you tell me if you're normalising to peak, to RMS, or to loudness please..?

If it's loudness, you want to measure the integrated loudness of the piece and apply gain to make up the difference (either way). If it's peak, use a normalise action (or you can measure peak and apply gain if you want).

Normalising to -3dB sounds like peak normalisation.

Use limiters if you want to alter the peak to loudness relationship.

Make sense?

>
Old 04-23-2017, 02:00 AM   #3
heda

-3dB for the peak limit is good in your screenshot
make sure you adjust the threshold so when you export it and analyze it, it measures between -23 and -18 LUFS for the Integrated Loudness and True peak doesn't exceed -3LUFS. You can enable true peak analysis in the loudness analysis window.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
planetnine

Ah, TP.

Is your TP > -3dB when your LUFS is in the correct range? Less than -3dB shouldn't matter if it's their limit. They're more likely to be fussy about your LR (loudness range), was that mentioned..?

>
Old 04-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
TallTaleTV

Loudness range was not mentioned, but I will definitely look into that anyway. I'd rather it match the guidelines AND sound good at the same time. Thanks, guys!
TallTaleTV is offline   Reply With Quote