Old 08-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
SEA
Human being with feelings

Default Slates VCC or Sominus Britson?

Has anyone tried these 2 side by side?

If so, how do they compare?

I know some prefer the Britson cause it doesn't have an iLock, but what I was wondering is if there was anyone who's used them both side by side and what they thought about the sound,
feel, etc., between the two like... anything noteworthy that they could share.

Thanks!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
bluzkat

Sorry, I haven't tried them side by side... I just wanted to say how cool the 'grouping' function is in Britson! Love it.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5urL26_9N3Y.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
SEA

Ya! Looks good!

Here's VCC grouping in Reaper. Looks good too!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhpgTcxGWCo

Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
SEA

Anyone tried them side by side? If so... what's your take?

Thanks!

SEA

Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
jpanderson80

Subscribed.

I own Britson, but not VCC. Waiting on others with experience of the two to speak...
Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
G-Sun

Just purchased Sknote Stripbus, but haven't tried it yet.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
El Gato

I haven't tried vcc but it comes to flavors, I guess. You got 4 options on vcc but Satson is nice on it's own. Just one console channel and one bus emu. I don't need more colors in my pallet right now but they say both are great.

Former band. Also DIY www.youtube.com/milkfiction
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
jpanderson80

An older thread with some good info.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=101673&

Surely someone in that thread can speak up.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Ardis

Stripbus is great and offers crosstalk and ducking which is pretty unique. The 1176 tube compressor in the bus is really good. I have VCC rC-Tube and Britson. Very nice also. VCC is vary rich and Britson is a bit more forward to my ears. You can use these together since there's no bad way to work. I actually just used Britson and Strip to process tracks and UBK-1 and Sknote STA-Level on a tune. Didn't use any of the bus processers since didn't want too much flattening out...Worked out great....!
Ardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
The Buddha Rats

I don't have any slate products- the iLok2 is a turn-off. Britson is great. Fits easily into my workflow and the has very intuitive grouping controls. cheap as hell and is pleasing to the ear.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
rsi777

Default Britson vs. VCC

Regarding the original questions, I saw a post on a different forum where someone had A/B'd Britson vs. VCC. His view was that the VCC had a less aggressive high end. He didn't say one sounded better or worse, just that the VCC had a softer high end.

I own Britson, but was considering VCC as well. But I think for the time being I'm going to invest instead in the Slate VTM (which I like a lot) as it's very cheap ($50)if ordered with their new Virtual Mix Rack (which I tested and also like a lot).
Ron
rsi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
dsp

I got Britson last night and my initial tests on a mix were great. I did have a random crash at one point but it sounds nice. I grouped up everything and did some a/b tests and it gives something to the mix other than the saturation. I look forward to using on some fresh stuff I setup a template for my normal workflow and will give it a bash this week.
dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
inertia

I have both VCC and Britson. The sound they produce are not comparable as they are entirely different. The VCC is not something you put on a single track and notice a huge difference but rather a culmulative effect of all your tracks then grouped by a master buss. I cannot comment on the authenticity of the console sounds but I find that with the VCC it can be easy to make things sound muddy once your mix starts getting complicated.

I had created a couple of different mixes of the same song with Britson and with VCC and thought the Britson suited the style of the music better. I have also used it on other styles purely on all the drum tracks and the VCC across instrument tracks and like the sound that gives.

The grouping in Britson is not as easy to use as the VCC. I often find that with Britson once I turned the grouping on it appears that further checks are necessary to make sure you have done it correctly. With VCC it's far more intuitive and obvious that your grouping is working. You can also rename the groups in VCC, which is handy when using more than group with a different console setting.

Price wise they are about the same, if you consider that VCC has several console emulations compared to the Britson. Otherwise, if you are just looking for a single option you purcahse the RC Tube and then Britson is maybe better value for money.

Never pay more than $99 for the VCC. There are always people selling VCC on Kvr for less than $99. VCC 2 will be a free upgrade for existing users so there is that to consider. I presume it will be migrated into their VMR plugin. Note, the actual rack part will always be free but the plugins inside the newly release VMR are not. I would presume that you don't need a VMR licence to use the new VCC 2 though.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I have both VCC and Britson. The sound they produce are not comparable as they are entirely different. The VCC is not something you put on a single track and notice a huge difference but rather a culmulative effect of all your tracks then grouped by a master buss. I cannot comment on the authenticity of the console sounds but I find that with the VCC it can be easy to make things sound muddy once your mix starts getting complicated.

I had created a couple of different mixes of the same song with Britson and with VCC and thought the Britson suited the style of the music better. I have also used it on other styles purely on all the drum tracks and the VCC across instrument tracks and like the sound that gives.

The grouping in Britson is not as easy to use as the VCC. I often find that with Britson once I turned the grouping on it appears that further checks are necessary to make sure you have done it correctly. With VCC it's far more intuitive and obvious that your grouping is working. You can also rename the groups in VCC, which is handy when using more than group with a different console setting.

Price wise they are about the same, if you consider that VCC has several console emulations compared to the Britson. Otherwise, if you are just looking for a single option you purcahse the RC Tube and then Britson is maybe better value for money.

Never pay more than $99 for the VCC. There are always people selling VCC on Kvr for less than $99. VCC 2 will be a free upgrade for existing users so there is that to consider. I presume it will be migrated into their VMR plugin. Note, the actual rack part will always be free but the plugins inside the newly release VMR are not. I would presume that you don't need a VMR licence to use the new VCC 2 though.
Good review Interia.
I own Britson and have enjoyed using it. Just FYI on the grouping... the BUSS grouping feature, when open, allows you to right click on the name and rename it. I haven't had to recheck groups once they are set up though. Good point on multiple consoles for $99. That's a good value when you look at it that way.

Do you find yourself using multiple consoles, or just 1-2 usually? Which ones and why?

I like Britson for the lush cohesion that it brings. It does wonderful things for the reverbs and ambience. I work with mostly acoustic folk rock, so it fits very well. It's very much in line with my "style" sonically.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:35 AM   #15
laru1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Good review Interia.
I own Britson and have enjoyed using it. Just FYI on the grouping... the BUSS grouping feature, when open, allows you to right click on the name and rename it. I haven't had to recheck groups once they are set up though. Good point on multiple consoles for $99. That's a good value when you look at it that way.

Do you find yourself using multiple consoles, or just 1-2 usually? Which ones and why?

I like Britson for the lush cohesion that it brings. It does wonderful things for the reverbs and ambience. I work with mostly acoustic folk rock, so it fits very well. It's very much in line with my "style" sonically.
I also have Britson and like it a lot, especially on Pop/Rock mixes.
What I noticed that the highend doesnt suit always, especially with acoustic guitrs (steel string) or some pianos.
I m curious if for acoustic music or more clean stuff like smooth jazz a.s.o. Satson would fit better.

http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/o...g-service.html
laru1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #16
Fergler

I tried both at once and decided I needed neither, the connection between tracks wasn't offering anything special.

I prefer JS Loser/Saturation
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I presume it will be migrated into their VMR plugin. Note, the actual rack part will always be free but the plugins inside the newly release VMR are not. I would presume that you don't need a VMR licence to use the new VCC 2 though.
VCC 2 has been merged into the VMR plugin. I believe if you purchase VCC and don't have VMR you still get the rack (with the free plugs I believe).

I have Britson and VCC and prefer the grouping function in VCC, ymmv.

Enjoy.