Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Any news on a ReaRoute Solution for Mac?

I know its been mentioned a few times, but recording between apps/internet etc with a ReaRoute application (built by Cockos) would be amazing..

I know its a PC ASIO thing, but surely theres a way to do this with CoreAudio?

I am using Soundflower (which I suppose shows its possible) but its messy and would like a built in solution via Cockos
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
hypermonkey1984

Default So wait does Rearoute not work on mac?

I haven't been able to find a straight answer on if Rearoute even works for mac or not. Does it not work at all?
I've searched in the reaper forums, reaper manual, soundonsound.com and every single place showed how to use ReaRoute but then of course mentioned ASIO and of course Mac doesn't have ASIO? So does it work on mac or not?

Also, I've heard of soundflower. I tried it before but it's really complicated. Could you tell me how you set yours up to route audio to and from REaper?
hypermonkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermonkey1984 View Post
Also, I've heard of soundflower. I tried it before but it's really complicated. Could you tell me how you set yours up to route audio to and from REaper?
I gave up in the end, as I thought maybe a Mac version of "Rearoute" would be a light, well implemented cockos version of a routing program, but instead I found Soundflower.

I find this just as good. Basically I installed, with SoundflowerBed and you just use SF as the output and another DAW as the input and it digitally records between the two without cables!

My mistake, was opening up SoundFlowerBed each time to do the routing, which was over complicated, and awkward.

Once I stopped doing that, SF on each DAW or Mac Program, and it became very fast and easy
Old 03-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
hypermonkey1984

thanks I'll give that a try.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
babag

wouldn't jack work for something like this? there's a mac version.

http://jackaudio.org/download

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
hypermonkey1984

Hmm, but isn't the whole advantage of ReWire and ReaRoute supposed to be that it not only routes audio between DAW's but that it also synchronizes them so that they play and record at the same time?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
carvingCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermonkey1984 View Post

I wrote a brief tutorial on using Soundflower to record audio coming from a USB-based audio instrument. I found the setup pretty simple.

Tutorial here:

http://randybrown.us/2012/07/05/reco...h-soundflower/

HTH
Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Snap

Quote:
My mistake, was opening up SoundFlowerBed each time to do the routing, which was over complicated, and awkward.
Damnit! So that was the problem! SoundFlowerBed... I stopped using SoundFlower because that "bed" is very annoying.

Thanks!!!
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Damnit! So that was the problem! SoundFlowerBed... I stopped using SoundFlower because that "bed" is very annoying.

Thanks!!!
Yes I fell for this too and used to do everything in soundflower bed.

It was a little complicated.

Now I use just soundflower out of safari or Ableton and into reaper at its side and it makes a perfect digital connection. Next time I re install things on my mac I think I'll not install the "bed" and just use soundflower

A cockos reaper version would still be good though
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
serr

Soundflower would be perfect. It's simply a 16 channel bus that operates like a core audio device. Send audio anywhere between anything.
Too bad it has fatal bugs! It seems to lose clock sync occasionally - more often with more demanding use.

I think the problem is that no one made these apps with the intention of adding a feature. Soundflower was a workaround for recording audio off the internet and rearoute was a workaround for basic functionality for windows audio issues.

Now we come along and want to use this as a solid professional complex audio routing app.

Someone should write something! Or help fix soundflower.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Soundflower would be perfect. It's simply a 16 channel bus that operates like a core audio device. Send audio anywhere between anything.
Too bad it has fatal bugs! It seems to lose clock sync occasionally - more often with more demanding use.

I think the problem is that no one made these apps with the intention of adding a feature. Soundflower was a workaround for recording audio off the internet and rearoute was a workaround for basic functionality for windows audio issues.

Now we come along and want to use this as a solid professional complex audio routing app.

Cockos should buy soundflower as part of reaper and revamp the whole ReaRoute in pc as well as adding mac

I'm a mac user and would love it but also pc users quite often ask on here how to record the web, or stereo outputs "what you hear".
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
also pc users quite often ask on here how to record the web, or stereo outputs "what you hear".
The generic Windows sound mixer could do that in XP, I suppose there is similar functionality for later versions of Windows also.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
jellotree

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Soundflower was a workaround for recording audio off the internet and rearoute was a workaround for basic functionality for windows audio issues.

Is there an official Reaper position on why there is no OSX ReaRoute option for mac?

I'm genuinely curious as this seem to be a feature that folks who have used ReaRoute in Windows really miss in their workflow.
jellotree is offline   Reply With Quote