Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
soundchaser59
Human being with feelings

Default Still Don't Get The New Theme Editing

I have read different threads and search results, and I still don't understand the new system for editing theme colors, etc. Part of the problem is I wiped my drive and I have reinstalled everything as new from scratch. My previous theme was lost. Now I'm using some custom theme I found in a saved folder on a thumb drive from 2010, but....

The other part of the problem is my peak indicator. The peak indicator on the master (and I believe it is the same on all tracks) is yellow with white font.....i.e. absolutely impossible to read. I need to read that peak indicator.

I cannot figure out how to change the peak indicator color....or else the font color of the peak indicator text.

Can anyone explain this to me in a way that makes sense to a scarecrow without a brain?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Depending on how the theme that you are using was constructed, you might (or might not) be able to do this from the action list. (Assuming you're using Reaper 5.xx?)

Actions -> Show action list

Find and run the action Show theme tweak/configuration window.

Look for the various VU actions and change the,m as you wish, then Save.

However, this won't work if the VU colors are embedded in the theme as PNG files. To change these you really need to know what you're doing.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
Now I'm using some custom theme I found in a saved folder on a thumb drive from 2010
If the theme is from 2010, then its editing is from 2010. Old themes remain compatible, and the methods of using and altering them are still an active part of Reaper.

Read the sticky here on this very forum : 2. Common tweaks to a REAPER theme. Follow the section on unpacking a theme, and then the bit about changing colors and fonts.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
this won't work if the VU colors are embedded in the theme as PNG files. To change these you really need to know what you're doing.
With modern themes you can freely copy VU meter PNG images from one theme into another ...and that's it. Very simple.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
I have read different threads and search results, and I still don't understand the new system for editing theme colors, etc. Part of the problem is I wiped my drive and I have reinstalled everything as new from scratch. My previous theme was lost. Now I'm using some custom theme I found in a saved folder on a thumb drive from 2010, but....

The other part of the problem is my peak indicator. The peak indicator on the master (and I believe it is the same on all tracks) is yellow with white font.....i.e. absolutely impossible to read. I need to read that peak indicator.

I cannot figure out how to change the peak indicator color....or else the font color of the peak indicator text.

Can anyone explain this to me in a way that makes sense to a scarecrow without a brain?
With so many recent themes available, check the reaper stash you should find one that suits you. Tonelux is good and very readable and is a free. Then you can spend time using reaper and not editing a old theme.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
With so many recent themes available, check the reaper stash you should find one that suits you. ... Then you can spend time using reaper and not editing a old theme.
Excellent suggestion, thanks!
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
With so many recent themes available, check the reaper stash you should find one that suits you. Tonelux is good and very readable and is a free. Then you can spend time using reaper and not editing a old theme.
Quote:
Excellent suggestion, thanks!
No, actually it's not. Not helpful at all, and shows no respect for what I'm already doing. I think it actually sounds very condescending and rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
If the theme is from 2010, then its editing is from 2010. Old themes remain compatible, and the methods of using and altering them are still an active part of Reaper.

Read the sticky here on this very forum : 2. Common tweaks to a REAPER theme. Follow the section on unpacking a theme, and then the bit about changing colors and fonts.
THANK YOU, this is something I will try. I have my reasons for preserving what I am already using as much as possible.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
soundchaser59

Quote:
Depending on how the theme that you are using was constructed, you might (or might not) be able to do this from the action list. (Assuming you're using Reaper 5.xx?)

Actions -> Show action list

Find and run the action Show theme tweak/configuration window.

Look for the various VU actions and change the,m as you wish, then Save.
I tried this first as it sounded familiar, and it was a piece of cake. THANK YOU!