Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #41
RoboPlankton
Human being with feelings

Okay, the project loaded up fully with no hiccups, just the one click to point to the samples folder.

I got a memory warning again, though. I have only 1.5GB physical memory until I upgrade (soon I hope), but everything is obviously cutting the mustard as it should.

Thanks once more for your efforts!
Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #42
suleiman

Coupla things i learnt outta this experience :

- always chk for updated files before starting on a massive task
- multi channel wav files are a thing and Reaper handles them fine ( it can even explode them into multiple wav files for each channel )
- the numerous ways of mixing and routing drums when using many mics

Btw i still have the original template that i made from the sample pack that no longer exists, and it provides waaay more control over the mics.. But its officially gone so its my own now

Cheers

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Btw im a covert as far as mdrummer goes. It is a fukin phenomenal software !
I do like my MDrummer a lot. Version 5 is a bit easier to navigate but it's still a damn confusing piece of software to get your head around. I was also just a little disappointed that a 'major update' didn't include any new kits or sounds. As cool as this program is, you have to admit that the internal drum sounds are less than stellar.

On the plus side, I've never had any trouble using it to drive any other drum app. Works flawlessly with Addictive and EZ Drummer. Also works great with the Drumica thingy too. Still hands down better than Jamstix, in my opinion. Just a lot less intuitive. I was having my go round with Jamstix in February, and here we are at the end of May and the available demo is STILL 3.50.

Anyway, water under the bridge and I think I made a good decision when I decided to forget about Jamstix.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #44
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I do like my MDrummer a lot. Version 5 is a bit easier to navigate but it's still a damn confusing piece of software to get your head around. I was also just a little disappointed that a 'major update' didn't include any new kits or sounds. As cool as this program is, you have to admit that the internal drum sounds are less than stellar.

On the plus side, I've never had any trouble using it to drive any other drum app. Works flawlessly with Addictive and EZ Drummer. Also works great with the Drumica thingy too. Still hands down better than Jamstix, in my opinion. Just a lot less intuitive. I was having my go round with Jamstix in February, and here we are at the end of May and the available demo is STILL 3.50.

Anyway, water under the bridge and I think I made a good decision when I decided to forget about Jamstix.
I only have the demo, and even that does waaaay more than Jamstix 3 ever did.
I can have a song drum tracks done in like 10 minutes. Not kidding. I haev used to drive various other drum vsti and it worked flawlessly. Didnt even bother with the onboard sounds, but those are nice for sketching ideas.

Plus it allows you to intelligently import multi-velocity wav samples of your own, so ....

They have a pdf manual out now , for the first time ever (!!),and in v5 it was a breeze to get it going. Plus many questions were answered by their guy over at kvr.

I think i understand around 80 % of the rhythm generator, rhythm editor and song arranger. I was originally asking you for a tutorial, but i now i gotta ask : whats so confusing about it ? If you have any questions about the above mentioned 3 sections mdrummer, ask and i'll try to answer.

Also, on-topic did this rs5k template now work for you ?

Salamat
Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #45
suleiman

Great to see some black metal action in these parts. Too little of that happening around here.

Now playing " the awakening of the king "

total \M/
total blitzkrieg

Salamat
Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #46
Fabian

Quote:
At considerable risk to my sanity and marital happiness, i re-downloaded the new updated kit, and walla / lo and behold ! they combined all the mic channles into single (multi0channle) sample files (hence the no play for edkip in music players).

However Reaper and Reasamplomatic reads them just fine

So heres the new and improved Reaper Track template / mapping for the kit that you all actually downloaded.

https://stash.reaper.fm/20769/Muldjor...RTrackTemplate

updated in the original post too.

Enjoy and please let me know if it works.
Yap! Now it works. On the first try Reaper crashed, but on the second try it worked fine.
Thanks for this, many thanks.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #47
edkilp

Quote:
I think i understand around 80 % of the rhythm generator, rhythm editor and song arranger. I was originally asking you for a tutorial, but i now i gotta ask : whats so confusing about it ? If you have any questions about the above mentioned 3 sections mdrummer, ask and i'll try to answer.

Also, on-topic did this rs5k template now work for you ?
It's not that I have questions and don't know how to use it, it's just confusing in the way it's laid out. I'm a lot further along with it now than when I first got it. There are some things about it that are a bit annoying.

For example, there are many many instances where a rather complex fill is happening, yet there's all these open hats and rides thrown in there too. Sounds like a three-armed drummer to me. Obviously I can edit those out, but the creator of MDrummer IS a drummer! He should know better than that! Hehehe.

I guess I'm not sure how to use more than one channel. I think I know what the uses would be, but I use the midi control method, and I think if I wanna switch between channels, I have to first enter a STOP on one channel, before letting the second channel play. I know that makes no sense, but I don't know how to explain it.

Also, what about beats that don't fall on the '1'? Have you messed with that at all? It's a great program and really speeds things up, but I think there will still be some tweaking involved if you need something a bit more specific to what you're writing.

Yes, the template worked fine, but it kills my computer ( with 8 gigs of ram!) I might be able to mess with it some, as I don't really think I need dozens and dozens of samples for each drum! Thanks
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #48
suleiman

@edklip:

You can have 2 or more rhythm channels playing simulatneously or alternately. You can disable any part of any rhythm so only one is playing at the time.

Beats that dont start at 1 : i tried a lotta different rhythms and time signatures and thats the part that made me the most happy. It all worked perfectly.

Can you upload a sample midi right here of the kind of essential beat that is not working for you ?

OT : i have only 6 gb ram so im still not sure how the track template is causing problems with 8 gb ! I tried with and without my external audio interface just to be sure. It worked fine. Whats ur processor type / speed ? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit ? Which OS ? Is it optimized for audio ?

Salamat
Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #49
rcl

Quote:
Yep same here.. If i can get it done in rs5k i dont go for other stuff

If only they added a midi cc selector and range type in boxes/ knobs ....
Totally agree......It may be a lil more work at the front end. And may not so elegant (100 or so RS5Ks ) but once set up in a template its rock solid.

I am confident it will receive some CC love in the future. Its just to practical not to.

Oh....and thanks for these.

The Drum drop kit was awesome and finally showed off the Tx16wx. Especially the Hats.....very dynamic and realistic.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #50
suleiman

Thank you for your comments.

Waiting for the next round of love for RS5k with bated breath ... Devs ?

Salamat