Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
astramistil
Human being with feelings

Default Studio One zoom 'versus' Reaper

Is there a way to get a zoom similar to Studio One's?

https://youtu.be/sTYgoR8jhfU

For Reaper, I use 'zoom centered under mouse' which is often convenient (precise editing), but I need to zoom with cursor at fixed place for faster overall tasks (recording, split/paste/move, etc.)

Anyone? Its sincerely stressful.. (always have to waste time with 'scroll' after zooming, which is not convenient at all)

Thank you.
astramistil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by astramistil View Post
I need to zoom with cursor at fixed place for faster overall tasks (recording, split/paste/move, etc.)
Options/Preferences/Editing Behavior/Horizontal zoom center: Edit cursor.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
astramistil

No!

Look carefully in my video what happen when I zoom in Studio One; Reaper displaces the edit cursor in the 'arrange view' but I dont want it to be centered, I want it to remain at the same 'view' position

I cant believe Reaper cant offer that option, whats the point to displace the cursor view in center if I only want to edit to the right? Its a waste of half of the working screen

I tried a custom action where it skips everytime I zoom in or out so that cursor behave like the one in Studio One, but its all bumpy/flickering and behave strangely depending the 'zoom in' level

Anyone knows a better option, or maybe reascript?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
James HE

I use this EEL script for my zoom. Needs SWS extention.

Code:
function wheelevent()local(filename,sectionID,cmdID,mode,resolution,val)
(
  get_action_context(filename=#,sectionID,cmdID,mode,resolution,val);
  val;
);
function ten_percenter_zoom()
(
  wheelevent() > 0 ? Main_OnCommand(1012,0) : Main_OnCommand(1011,0); 
  Main_ONCommand(NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_HSCROLL10"),0);
);

Undo_BeginBlock(); 
 PreventUIRefresh(5);
 ten_percenter_zoom(); 
 PreventUIRefresh(-5);
 Undo_EndBlock("10 percent Zoom",0);
 Undo_OnStateChange2(0,"10 percent Zoom");

It positions the cursor at 10% of the arrange instead of in the middle. (note, this does not create an undo point in the undo list, even though you will see it at the top of the arrange as the last action.)

To load this script:

Copy the code text above.
Open the action list.
Click on ReaScript: New
Make sure the file type is .eel, give it a name, save.
paste the text in the ReaSCript editor.
Ctrl+S to save.
close the editor!

(editor MUST be close for get_action_context(...) to work) )
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
astramistil

Thanks!

Thats alot better

Now if I need to zoom under mouse cursor, ill juste make a shortcuts to toggle between "center edit cursor'' and ''center mouse''

Could you post the same thing but for ''Zoom out''? I dont use mousewheel for zooming, and I dont understand well the reascript language

Thanks alot!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
James HE

Quote:
Thanks!

Thats alot better

Now if I need to zoom under mouse cursor, ill juste make a shortcuts to toggle between "center edit cursor'' and ''center mouse''

Could you post the same thing but for ''Zoom out''? I don't understand well the reascript language

Thanks alot!
It should zoom out and in with the mousewheel. Make sure you assign the script to the mousewheel, otherwise, yes it only zooms in.

for a keystroke zoom in / out, try it without the mousewheel stuff (not tested, but something like)

Zoom IN:
Code:
function ten_percenter_zoom_IN()
(
  Main_OnCommand(1012,0);
);

Undo_BeginBlock(); 
 PreventUIRefresh(5);
 ten_percenter_zoom_IN(); 
 PreventUIRefresh(-5);
 Undo_EndBlock("10 percent Zoom IN",0);
 Undo_OnStateChange2(0,"10 percent Zoom IN");
Zoom Out
Code:
function ten_percenter_zoom_OUT()
(
  Main_OnCommand(1011,0);
);

Undo_BeginBlock(); 
 PreventUIRefresh(5);
 ten_percenter_zoom_OUT(); 
 PreventUIRefresh(-5);
 Undo_EndBlock("10 percent Zoom OUT",0);
 Undo_OnStateChange2(0,"10 percent Zoom OUT");
Old 03-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
astramistil

Alright everything's working fine thanks again!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
Make sure you assign the script to the mousewheel, otherwise, yes it only zooms in.
How do you even assign anything to the mousewheel?? I couldn't find any setting in Preferences for that?

Still, I agree astramistil, I think this should be a native option in Reaper. It's a very logical way to zoom. I'd certainly have it as default if it existed.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:03 AM   #9
Coachz

No unzoom is a problem. Whenever I zoom I need to be able to go back.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #10
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
How do you even assign anything to the mousewheel?? I couldn't find any setting in Preferences for that?

Still, I agree astramistil, I think this should be a native option in Reaper. It's a very logical way to zoom. I'd certainly have it as default if it existed.
Just move the mousewheel when making the assignment for the keystroke just like you do for a key.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
No unzoom is a problem. Whenever I zoom I need to be able to go back.
It is bidirectional. use the mouse wheel with the first script, for keystroke in/out use the 2 scripts in the other post.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
astramistil

Hi, thank you again for the Macro it works perfectly in 'arrange view'

But I tried to do the same in 'Midi editor' but it doesnt work

Could you please post one that would work in Midi Editor, CC mousewheel and in/out?

Oh; and is there a way to do the same thing with Vertical Zoom in Midi Editor? It scrolls the piano roll up & down too ... (dammit reaper!)

Or otherwise am I doing something wrong?

Thank you again for your time!

Last edited by astramistil; 04-13-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
astramistil

James HE?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #14
James HE

Quote:
Hi, thank you again for the Macro it works perfectly in 'arrange view'

But I tried to do the same in 'Midi editor' but it doesnt work

Could you please post one that would work in Midi Editor, CC mousewheel and in/out?

Oh; and is there a way to do the same thing with Vertical Zoom in Midi Editor? It scrolls the piano roll up & down too ... (dammit reaper!)

Or otherwise am I doing something wrong?

Thank you again for your time!
I'll take a look at it, hopefully I'll be able to make it work depending on focus and not have to make separate scripts.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
astramistil

Quote:
I'll take a look at it, hopefully I'll be able to make it work depending on focus and not have to make separate scripts.
Thanks alot!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
astramistil

Quote:
Did you find how? Or it is impossible?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #17
chumbo

Hi James,
I'd like to have the zoom center at the middle of the screen rather than 10%. I know nothing about scripting but I had a look and figured all I would have to do is change the 'ten' value I found in the script to 'fifty' but that didn't work. I assume it's a really simple mod, can you please tell me how?
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
astramistil

Last try: anyone?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #19
chumbo

Isn't this what you are trying to achieve?

Only at the very end, it snaps back towards the center because I zoom out so far that whole project and bar 1 are in view. Otherwise, it would have to rip and pull the left side of the screen to maintain the focus where it is!?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
James HE

hopefully will have some time to get on this soon.

I'm imagining a configurable script that can set the cursor where ever percentage the user defines - has to be in EEL though to be fast enough i think (at least on slower systems)

I can only really code well in the dead of winter so, um yeah there's that.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #21
astramistil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
Isn't this what you are trying to achieve?

Only at the very end, it snaps back towards the center because I zoom out so far that whole project and bar 1 are in view. Otherwise, it would have to rip and pull the left side of the screen to maintain the focus where it is!?

Oh excellent! Its even better than the other because it moves around exactly where your edit cursor is, the other one that James posted return to like 10% horizontally which is useful too

1-But I would like to have the exact same behavior in the "Midi Editor" would you know how?

2-Is it mousewheel behavior, keys or both?

3-Would you share the script please?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #22
astramistil

Quote:
hopefully will have some time to get on this soon.

I'm imagining a configurable script that can set the cursor where ever percentage the user defines - has to be in EEL though to be fast enough i think (at least on slower systems)

I can only really code well in the dead of winter so, um yeah there's that.

Would be great! A must for Reaper I think
Old 04-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #23
astramistil

chumbo?
Old 04-30-2017, 02:41 AM   #24
chumbo

Sorry mate! Since you asked, I just wanted to check before replying that it worked in the MIDI Editor, but it slipped my mind completely and forgot to reply. I just checked, it works just the same in main as in MIDI editor.

I think you're going to be disappointed though....it's no script, it's just a default action in Reaper...and it's the first reply from xpander you got in this thread!?

Quote:
$Options/Preferences/Editing Behavior/Horizontal zoom center: Edit cursor.
It just works! My guess is you either didn't really try this and assumed it wasn't what you were looking for or you have some other action/option that is overriding this one and making it misbehave. Or you just need to learn to use it properly and accept a new way of zooming which I certainly think works better.

But that's it for me! No secret elaborate script, just that simple native option!

You do sometimes maybe have to slightly adjust your cursor while zooming in, by moving ever so slightly to the right or left to get the zoom location exact, but that's really no big deal at all. You probably would do the same in S1 but I'd say personally, it's even better than the Studio One method because you can adjust on the fly, while zooming in!

- In S1, if you're zoomed out considerably and want to get close to a precise point, that exact point won't be clearly visible from that 'far away'. So you'd start by zooming in, then move your cursor and continue zooming, right? Because in S1, the zoom is edit cursor/play head dependent and not mouse cursor dependent.

- In Reaper, you do that all in one continuous move, but just moving your mouse cursor as you zoom in!
In fact, if you look closely at my animated gif, you'll see that's exactly what I'm doing: the mouse cursor starts aligned with the play head, and as I zoom in, I decide I actually prefer to move a bit right or left by moving the cursor AS I continuously zoom in! How is that not awesome!

Because of the differences I just explained between Reaper & S1's zooming method, if you were to run a zoom contest "who can zoom in faster to the transient of that snare hit" for ex., Reaper would of course have to win every time!

I think you just need to try it again, familiarize yourself with this new and improved method and not stay stuck with the way you were used to doing it in S1.

And what happens at the end or your video where it drifts wildly, is exactly what happens in my gif at the end as well: when you zoom out further than your initial starting zoom level and keep zooming out, it will eventually go to full project zoom and there it just HAS to move the entire view completely...how else can it deal with that otherwise?!
I think what happens in S1, is that it won't zoom out past your initially starting zoom level, right? If not, what does happen if you're zoomed in close at the end of your project, and then zoom out completely from that same position?? I can't imagine any other result than what Reaper does and am perfectly satisfied with that result as well so...maybe give it another try and see if you can't adopt this as your new and better zooming tool!

Last edited by chumbo; 04-30-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #25
astramistil

ohh ok ... I thought you didnt have to put your mouse cursor anywhere

I mean; I want to zoom from edit cursor, not from ''mouse cursor''

If the cursor is at 10%, I want the arrange view to stretch around, same for 40%, etc..

No drifting or stuff like that, or mouse cursor at right place etc.

Ill stick with James' solution which is great for me now, since 90% of the time I want the edit cursor and scroll at the left edge

I guess Ill have to live with the annoying drifting horizontal and vertical zoom in Midi Editor.. I mean, who prefer this behavior? Your edit cursor or the track you were focussing on just start drifting away!!

That said, Reaper is still from far the best, and if only they had ''curve toolbox'' for automation like the one in Melda or Z3ta+2 or Massive it would be even more amazing

So automation and zooming are for me the worst parts in reaper.

(and by the way, its been awhile since I use Reaper and I cant get used to 'zooming' options/behavior! (unless like you say I need to zoom very deeply in one track, the 'zoom at mouse cursor' is for sure excellent at this task))

Last edited by astramistil; 05-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
chumbo

Quote:
I mean, who prefer this behavior?
As I said...I do!

I, on the other hand don't understand why you're so hung up on your old ways since Reaper definitely gets you the same result, just in a slightly different way.
Anyway, hopefully you'll start to feel at home with either James' solution or maybe the native one will slowly grow on you
Old 05-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #27
hopi

just a suggestion... cuz it is important to be able to quickly get to some place you want to be...

I have the mousewheel set to zoom on the edit cursor but for that to stay right there I also need to have the mouse cursor sort of near the edit cursor... expecially when zoomed way in...

I also can have it zoom in where the mouse cursor is with the wheel...

and then also if you get yer mouse at the upper part of the ruler you should get a cursor change that lets you drag left and right...

using all that for me make getting around the view pretty easy