Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
PointReyes
Human being with feelings

Default Cubase user who wants to hear from advanced composers who use Reaper.

Hi all, I'm sure these questions come up a lot...I'd like to hear opinions on the most recent version of Reaper. I've been composing professionally for about 15 years, almost all of it on Cubase. While I know the program deeply and love a lot about it, there's a lot I hate about it and I've been hearing a lot about Reaper so I'm interested in taking a look. I don't have time to demo it for about another month ...so first I'd like to hear specifically from people (particularly those who know or have used or currently use Cubase) that are advanced composers who use Reaper.

Cubase (I'm on C9 right now) is too inefficient with CPU use, feels sludgy and slow next to other DAWs like Studio One or even Pro Tools, has horrible GUI problems on Macs these days (I'm on Mac), ancient automation editing, and is massively click-heavy compared to some other DAWs that I've tried. It just seems stuck in the past in some ways and I'm find it somewhat limiting these days.

> Do you find Reaper to equal Cubase in its use as a very advanced composing-to-picture DAW? By very advanced I mean sometimes feature-length score with tons of different cues, tempo changes, huge amounts if VSTi's, up to 600 tracks, etc.

>How do you find the deep MIDI composing and editing functionality of Reaper compares to Cubase?

>How about tempo maps and the like?

>Audio editing?

> Is Reaper less click-heavy than Cubase is? There are some things that are very fast in Cubase, but many others that require way too many clicks for a very simple everyday thing. Studio One is fantastic this way (well, mostly), but its MIDI/audio editing/and some other capabilities are under what I'm used to in Cubase, and I'm not a fan of how it deals with lanes.

I apologize if you've had many of this type of question, but I'd like to hear the most up-to-date response I can get. I will demo Reaper for sure if I feel it's a contender for the advanced composing world. The standard GUI looks a little "meh" to me on Reaper, but I know you can use many different skins to help with that. What appeals to me with Reaper are its massive flexibility with routing, its CPU efficiency, and its speed. I just need to make sure that it can compete with what I'm used in Cubase in other ways. I work incredibly fast and efficiency of both CPU and GUI is very important to me -- Cubase has been falling way behind in both areas for a while now, for me (psst: I'm a Cubase Artist - sshhhhh!). I know it won't be exactly the same, which is fine, but I just need to make sure it's up to what I need.

Thanks so much for any help.

Last edited by PointReyes; 04-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
PointReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
TryingToMakeMusic
Banned

Comparing Reaper to Cubase 8.5, I prefer Reaper in almost all ways. Exceptions being:

-- I spent substantial time theme-shopping before I found one perfect for me, but eventually did find it.

-- Reaper doesn't have Expression Maps yet, which is a big deal to me. Cockos are working on it, but they told us it's not right around the corner. So no promises on delivery-time, but Cockos moves a lot faster than Steinberg on improvements.
TryingToMakeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToMakeMusic View Post
Comparing Reaper to Cubase 8.5, I prefer Reaper in almost all ways. Exceptions being:

-- I spent substantial time theme-shopping before I found one perfect for me, but eventually did find it.

-- Reaper doesn't have Expression Maps yet, which is a big deal to me. Cockos are working on it, but they told us it's not right around the corner. So no promises on delivery-time, but Cockos moves a lot faster than Steinberg on improvements.
Gotcha. Where are good places one can find various themes? Which one did you end up using?

Expression Maps is a big deal to me, too. But if they move fast (Steinberg moves like molasses, as you know), then that's good news.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
TryingToMakeMusic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointReyes View Post
Gotcha. Where are good places one can find various themes? Which one did you end up using?

Expression Maps is a big deal to me, too. But if they move fast (Steinberg moves like molasses, as you know), then that's good news.
Cockos has a lean highly-skilled core programming team, and then a lot of users who are also programmers and contribute to the development process. Steinberg is a bureaucracy, and Cubase is a shiny facade built on top of a shakey foundation (as you know).

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172024
TryingToMakeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToMakeMusic View Post
Cockos has a lean highly-skilled core programming team, and then a lot of users who are also programmers and contribute to the development process. Steinberg is a bureaucracy, and Cubase is a shiny facade built on top of a shakey foundation (as you know).

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172024
Thank you. And I agree with your assessment of Steinberg.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Pinknoise

One of the thing when coming from other DAW to Reaper is learn how to do some things differently. I have found there is always a way or a trick to do what you want in Reaper via scripts or extensions or else. Don't be shy to ask or search the forum chances are somebody has the answer to do whatever you attempt. Also the wording for some actions can get weird at times meaning the thing your trying to do has another name than the one you thought.

For exemple there is a script for editing video that does not come in Reaper right of the bat. You need to install separatly. I'm pretty sure Cubase(Nuendo?) has better video editing capabilities though...I only used the audio functions in Cubase. Reaper has been adding some new stuff for video recently.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
One of the thing when coming from other DAW to Reaper is learn how to do some things differently. I have found there is always a way or a trick to do what you want in Reaper via scripts or extensions or else. Don't be shy to ask or search the forum chances are somebody has the answer to do whatever you attempt. Also the wording for some actions can get weird at times meaning the thing your trying to do has another name than the one you thought.

For exemple there is a script for editing video that does not come in Reaper right of the bat. You need to install separatly. I'm pretty sure Cubase(Nuendo?) has better video editing capabilities though...I only used the audio functions in Cubase. Reaper has been adding some new stuff for video recently.
Thanks Pinknoise.

Cubase actually has pretty rudimentary video editing (or least that's all I've done on it - resize, cut into pieces and move around, etc.). All I need is to be able to work reliably to video, that basic editing, and to be able to import the audio into existing video. If Reaper can't do the import into existing video thing then I can do a longer workaround with another program, but hopefully it can.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
hopi

there are a few users here who do exactly what you are aimed at.

I'm sure they will show up before long...

Though I'm not on a Mac I've used reaper for awhile and came to it from cubase [and other DAW's] and would never go back to any of them.

I'd say reaper can do what you want... however I have to honestly voice a warning... HOW reaper does things will really take some getting used to when you are 'deeply' learned in some other DAW. IMO, it is well worth going through that change.

You do know you can dl reaper and just start tring it, right?
And also the PDF user guide.

As to articuations... you will want to build yourself a set of workarounds to speed up your work flow ... there are a couple way to do this currently... one uses a MIDI CC lane, the other will be the basic 'midi note triggers keyswitch' method. But that is a longer discussion.

Themes for reaper on the 'stash'... there is even one that looks very cubase... but fair warning... that don't mean it functions the same...

Themes can be changed at will, just by dropping a new one onto the reaper GUI. You surely will find at least one that you like.

Now all that said, here's a clue to reaper: A huge amount of power gets added to it by means of what we call 'actions'... and these can include scripts created by users here. It is something that people don't get onto right away but it well worth taking some time to get a sense about.

Also, unlike most other DAW's, just about every menu in reaper can be customized to your own desires. In otherwords, besides what comes 'in the box', it is very possible to gradually create your own perect version of reaper. It takes a different way of thinking about what a DAW is.

Ok... seems like you are in Pt.Reyes? I'm not too far away and might be helpful to get you started if you decide to take the plunge.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
there are a few users here who do exactly what you are aimed at.

I'm sure they will show up before long...

Though I'm not on a Mac I've used reaper for awhile and came to it from cubase [and other DAW's] and would never go back to any of them.

I'd say reaper can do what you want... however I have to honestly voice a warning... HOW reaper does things will really take some getting used to when you are 'deeply' learned in some other DAW. IMO, it is well worth going through that change.

You do know you can dl reaper and just start tring it, right?
And also the PDF user guide.

As to articuations... you will want to build yourself a set of workarounds to speed up your work flow ... there are a couple way to do this currently... one uses a MIDI CC lane, the other will be the basic 'midi note triggers keyswitch' method. But that is a longer discussion.

Themes for reaper on the 'stash'... there is even one that looks very cubase... but fair warning... that don't mean it functions the same...

Themes can be changed at will, just by dropping a new one onto the reaper GUI. You surely will find at least one that you like.

Now all that said, here's a clue to reaper: A huge amount of power gets added to it by means of what we call 'actions'... and these can include scripts created by users here. It is something that people don't get onto right away but it well worth taking some time to get a sense about.

Also, unlike most other DAW's, just about every menu in reaper can be customized to your own desires. In otherwords, besides what comes 'in the box', it is very possible to gradually create your own perect version of reaper. It takes a different way of thinking about what a DAW is.

Ok... seems like you are in Pt.Reyes? I'm not too far away and might be helpful to get you started if you decide to take the plunge.

This is great info, thanks! I'm going to start trying it out very soon, will make time to do so.

(I grew up in Corte Madera and Point Reyes is one of my favorite places n the world. :-) It means a lot to me for a few reasons. I now live in what might be the polar opposite of Point Reyes: Los Angeles -- aaaagggggg!!!!!).
Old 04-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #10
zookthespook

Cubase 8.5 was the last license i bought from SB.
I have been on reaper since 4.x version. I finished three film scores
100 television commercials and 5 songs

Most of the features i initially missed while working on reaper slowly started going away.
Though the functions that i suspect you may miss when migrating would be ,

1.The swing grid function on reaper main TCP is not as simple and straight forward as Cubase..though a recent update at least made it possible to have it.

2.Grid warp . Though again it is possible to the same here, but a little less intuitive than Cubase

3.Duplicating Midi events can be a little confusing and frustrating.
the CTRL+D does not work like how you see Cubase or any other DAW does,
However you can download a script via reapack and reconfigure your key command to make the duplicate work like it does in cubase and other logic .

4.Clicking on mutliple events does not work like cubase so again you will have to find the workabout.

5.Retrospective record also not by default , but someone has made a script for the same.

The biggest problem is that as I used cubase for many years , It set a lot of precedence in my workflow . What you need to embrace is that there are ways to do tremendous things what reaper does but not by cubase convetions but by reaper conventions . For eg. The Range tool is almighty in Protools and Cubase to some extent. In reaper you will have to befriend Time selection tool .

Reaper offers plethora of features which you may not exist in many a DAWS.
The best thing is all Keycommands and Mouse behaviour can be modified to an endless extent.
All i can say is that i was a CUbase power user since cubase SX 1.5 all the way upto Cubase 8.5 released and i will be honest that with my current workflow and setup .. i find it difficult to go back to Cubase.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:15 AM   #11
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookthespook View Post
Cubase 8.5 was the last license i bought from SB.
I have been on reaper since 4.x version. I finished three film scores
100 television commercials and 5 songs

Most of the features i initially missed while working on reaper slowly started going away.
Though the functions that i suspect you may miss when migrating would be ,

1.The swing grid function on reaper main TCP is not as simple and straight forward as Cubase..though a recent update at least made it possible to have it.

2.Grid warp . Though again it is possible to the same here, but a little less intuitive than Cubase

3.Duplicating Midi events can be a little confusing and frustrating.
the CTRL+D does not work like how you see Cubase or any other DAW does,
However you can download a script via reapack and reconfigure your key command to make the duplicate work like it does in cubase and other logic .

4.Clicking on mutliple events does not work like cubase so again you will have to find the workabout.

5.Retrospective record also not by default , but someone has made a script for the same.

The biggest problem is that as I used cubase for many years , It set a lot of precedence in my workflow . What you need to embrace is that there are ways to do tremendous things what reaper does but not by cubase convetions but by reaper conventions . For eg. The Range tool is almighty in Protools and Cubase to some extent. In reaper you will have to befriend Time selection tool .

Reaper offers plethora of features which you may not exist in many a DAWS.
The best thing is all Keycommands and Mouse behaviour can be modified to an endless extent.
All i can say is that i was a CUbase power user since cubase SX 1.5 all the way upto Cubase 8.5 released and i will be honest that with my current workflow and setup .. i find it difficult to go back to Cubase.
Thanks for this detailed response. I do already miss all the things you've mentioned - ha ha! I'm also finding that some things require more clicks and windows than Cubase, which is a little frustrating. Studio One is by far the most efficient GUI I've experienced, but as an entire DAW it's not in the same league as REAPER or Cubase. I know that I need to create my own or find others' key commands/workarounds and scripts to customize REAPER for me -- in my first night on it (about 6 hours straight on it now, using the vids), it feels a bit clunky (again, multiple clicks/windows) in some ways compared to what I'm used to, but definitely better and far more flexible in others. I'm definitely open to do some things in new ways as long as those new ways don't require more click-click-clicks. :-D

The range tool is something I need to really figure out how to work without in REAPER -- it feels like there are more clicks involved to do things that were very simple with the range tool, but also I'm brand new and don't know all the workarounds, etc. Do you have suggestions for this particular thing?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 AM   #12
EvilDragon

You will want to check out Orchestral Template for Reaper (OTR), perhaps.

http://otr.storyteller.im/
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #13
vanhaze

Open Reaper Preferences.
Goto section "Mouse Modifiers"
Choose Context: Arrange - right drag.
Choose for default Action: Marquee select items and time.
Click on the Apply button.

When u now right-mouse drag over Items, in principle, these items become selected as whole items.
But you see that there is also a time selection made, the parts of the selected items that fall into this time selection are abit different colored.
You can then apply "global" functions like fades or item volume changes.
These functions apply on the "complete" items, not just the parts that fall within the Time selection.
But, you can also apply numerous functions ("Actions"), on just the parts of the selected items that fall into the time selection.
When you open Action list and do a search for "selected area", you will see quite many Actions appear.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:09 AM   #14
sonicowl

Coming from Cubase to Reaper, at first I missed few things from Cubase, until I got used to the new ways in Reaper. In beginning I wanted to force Reaper to do things exactly like Cubase does, only better. Of course you cannot make Reaper exactly like Cubase. It takes some time to appreciate the way Reaper handles things. All user actions and scripts are amazing. AFAIK there are some options for expression maps available for Reaper, so it can be done.

For scoring check OTR by Storyteller | Imaginative Music videos ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwl...sbNbYE5tr9za8g ). At least to see the extent of what can be done with Reaper in area of scoring.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
hopi

ah yes LA vs. Pt.Reyes... have lived in both and I do understand

even so... I might still be helpful... I'll send you a PM about how to contact
Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
PointReyes

Wow. That OTR situation is great!

His videos are painful for me to watch because he's not good at focussing only on what needs to be said - haha! Kenny Gioia spoiled me because he is probably the best video instructor I've personally ever seen -- he's incredibly efficient and doesn't go off on any tangents while showing exactly and precisely how things are done.

But OTR is very impressive, indeed. Thanks for turning me on to it!

Last edited by PointReyes; 04-25-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
michael diemer

As has been said many times, using a DAW is an intensely personal decision, and one that cannot be settled except by actually trying it. there is of course no perfect DAW, only ones that are more or less suited to your individual needs. They all have their good and bad points. I am a Sonar convert. I have demo-ed Cubase, but didn't like it, so that's all I can say about it. I don't do video so can't comment there either. However, I do compose classical music, and came to Reaper because it put in a notation feature.

While Reaper can feel cumbersome at first, it is extremely customizable. You can mold it to your style. As for looks, they aren't that important to me. But that too can be molded to preference. As for midi editing, it works fine for me, but my needs are simple, as I'm a hobbyist and just interested in producing reasonable mockups, more for my own ears than anything else.

I have stayed with Reaper for getting on a year because the devs are committed to constant improvement, the forum is excellent, and as software goes it is very solid and stable, and has a very light footprint. What other DAW downloads and installs in two minutes, and yet is powerful enough to allow one to do everything (or nearly everything) the much bloated (and expensive) DAWS do?

I would give it a demo. No pressure, you can demo it as long as you like. I started demoing last Spring, while they were working on the notation feature, so I'd be ready when they introduced it. It was not a very steep curve, and whenever I had trouble the forum geniuses always bailed me out.

That's my experience. you might not like it, of course. Only you can determine that.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
PointReyes

I've been hacking away at it while I'm sick - using the Gioia videos and this forum, and...I'm falling in love with this program. I'm a tinkerer at heart (which is why I like Android over iPhone, for instance), and this program is a tinkerer's dream, but it's also very real world easy to use as long as one let's go of some of one's established patterns, as you've all said. And I really like how fast new features are implemented, etc. VERY different from most other DAWs, without a doubt.

I will continue and just might make the switch over time (many existing big projects are in Cubase and I need to be super fast on Reaper before I bring it into my day-in-day-out workflow which has crazy deadlines).

Thanks for all of your help so far -- I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me around here. What a great community! The Cubase forum is full of angry (rightfully so in many cases) people who gripe and gripe and gripe and don't treat others well at times. This is a very different experience!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
vanhaze

So good to hear !
I am really happy 4 you

Took me about a year of intense Reaper usage to become really aware of it's insane power, after using all DAW's you can think of, for years.

So take your time and be proud of yourself, when you have learned something (little) new in Reaper.

And indeed, about DAW fora like Steinberg's, Ableton's etc; it was a Godsend to arrive here at Cockos Community and experience the happiness, goodness, great Karma's and "none-blackness" i haven't experienced for years in those other fora.

Welcome Aboard !
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
heda

I've heard rumours that there are still some composers using cubase. I find it hard to believe.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #21
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I've heard rumours that there are still some composers using cubase. I find it hard to believe.

HEDA! Your Track Inspector is a DREAM. This is something that massively adds speed and usefulness to Reaper, and is even better than the one in Cubase -- I'm so happy I found it, and I paid for it!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #22
PointReyes

I've been at it constantly here, and I'm really digging REAPER. I can see how there are some things I treasure in Cubase that I just might not be able to have here yet, or that I need to look at differently. Not one DAW has everything, of course. With lots of customizing I'm getting it to place that encourages fast work without as much clicking. I actually feel that many of the scripts and extensions that I've loaded should be standard, so that new users won't be as frightened - haha. :-)

One thing that I'm finding is a speed hindrance for me are places that new windows pop up instead of a simple switch or pop-up dialog that comes up with a mouse push. This simply is very helpful for speed, because the more things you have to click and close, the slower your workflow is (I'm a speed demon, I will admit -- that's what my clients expect, too). One example of this is the FX window that pops up whenever you want to add or change an insert effect. This could be streamlined wonderfully by having a contextual menu open up, say, at the right edge of the insert slot on the mixer, where you can select new FX or replace a current FX with a new one simply with drop-down menus instead of multiple clicks in multiple new windows at times. Overall I feel it could be less click-heavy, though again many of the scripts and extensions and mouse modifiers (can't quite figure out that page entirely -- I simply can't find some of the places where I want to change the mouse modifiers!) help. I know that I can design my own toolbars, too, and custom buttons -- that will definitely happen soon!

How does one configure the right-click pop-up menus for places like adding FX on that section that I don't know the name of (the section to the left of the main window that lists all of your tracks, with parameter adjustments for some, record enable, etc. -- what is that called?)? That's a place where drop-down menus instead of new windows are great, and would be even better if you could add brand new FX (not just ones that you've already used) in that drop-down.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #23
cfillion

Quote:
This could be streamlined wonderfully by having a contextual menu open up, say, at the right edge of the insert slot on the mixer, where you can select new FX or replace a current FX with a new one simply with drop-down menus instead of multiple clicks in multiple new windows at times.
1) Add your favorite FXs to custom folders in the FX browser:

2) Right click in the mixer > Quick add FX (or Quick replace FX):

Quote:
(the section to the left of the main window that lists all of your tracks, with parameter adjustments for some, record enable, etc. -- what is that called?)?
That's the track control panel, or TCP for short. (The mixer panel is often referred to as MCP.)

Last edited by cfillion; 04-25-2017 at 07:25 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #24
XITE-1/4LIVE

OTR looks nice.
And Nicks Cove at Point Reyes is my very FAVORITE seafood restaurant on the West Coast.
I'll be eating there early May. Been 3 years.
Abalone is no longer affordable, but they gotta lotta mo.....
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #25
PointReyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
1) Add your favorite FXs to custom folders in the FX browser:

2) Right click in the mixer > Quick add FX (or Quick replace FX):

That's the track control panel, or TCP for short. (The mixer panel is often referred to as MCP.)
Aha! Thank you! Perfect.

Cubase is cool in how it handles that, where a temporary window pops up that you can search for plug-ins, etc., then closes as soon you select one. It's really nice -- a more advanced version of that particular contextual menu. But I can live without it -- just am used to it. And someone might already have a script for it, who knows...!

Last edited by PointReyes; 04-25-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #26
jemu99

The one thing that I'm not crazy about is tempo mapping in Reaper. There are a few glitches that make scoring to film a bit clunky when tempo mapping. There are a few other things, but I still admire Reaper.

I still haven't made the switch from Cubase because every time I make the decision, a new project comes along, and I go back to Cubase to be "safe". But believe me, I have many gripes about Cubase as well.
jemu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #27
run_esc

Quote:
And someone might already have a script for it, who knows...!
There is Radial Menu, it's awesome and can accommodate (for example) a menu or multiple menus with buttons for individual FX you use often.

In this instance you'd need to write each a small script that launches the FX in question, I've got a simple one that can be easily adapted to load any plugin on the currently selected track, I'm not near my DAW rig but when I am I'll cut and paste it here.

That script can be put in a custom action that sets it up however you want (e.g., I've got custom action that launches my favourite VSTi on a new track at the top of the mixer, record arms and monitor enables that track, sets its MIDI channel to the next unused channel, and some other things I can't remember right now. It's on a Radial button and takes an instant to get to, alongside others I've set up)

Edit: Here's a little lua script for calling specific FX by name:

Code:
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

FX = "Charlatan"

TrackIdx = 0
TrackCount = reaper.CountSelectedTracks(0)
while TrackIdx < TrackCount do
  track = reaper.GetSelectedTrack(0, TrackIdx)
  reaper.TrackFX_AddByName( track, FX, 0, -1 )
  reaper.TrackFX_Show( track, reaper.TrackFX_GetCount( track ) - 1 , 3 )
  TrackIdx = TrackIdx+1
end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Add new track FX instance - "..FX,-1)
Just replace "Charlatan" with any FX name (as seen in FX Browser, but without the information in brackets after the name, just the name itself). This loads the named FX on the selected track, so it's great as part of a custom action process. Note, it will load the plugin on ALL currently selected tracks, probably not behaviour you want, so make it part of a custom action that first selects the track you want or creates a new one (which is auto-selected).

Last edited by run_esc; 04-26-2017 at 07:06 AM.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #28
hopi

building your own FX Chains is well worth it... tedious at first but really the way to go

FX Chain is a confusing term in that it can be a single FX, or a chain of as many as you want.

FX Chains are saved in a normal folder so you can go to that and make subfolders by name, like Compressors, Equalizers, etc.
In those you can put copies of any FX Chain you have saved.
FX Chain files can have any name you give them, AND they also retain whatever the current preset of the FX was when they were saved.

That said, you can rt clk on the FX button of a track or item and load from the FX Chains folder...

from that same rt clk you can load from the FX Browser...

You can have the FX Browser stay open by putting into a dock... I have mine in a dock at the far right of the arrange window, but it can be other places...

With it open you can drag whatever FX onto whatever track or item..

You also can drag any FX from any track or item to any other track or item as a copy of it...

Also, I find it handy to have the MCP [mixer control panel] docked at the left of the TCP [track control panel] and set to scroll, not to show multiple rows, and sized so that only one panel of the MCP is visible...
That way when you select any track in the TCP, the MCP shows that same track with all it's FX slots, Sends, Parameter controls... it is sort of like the track inspector in cubase.

Heda, in the scripts area, also makes a track inspector, but the one you'd want is his VIP version... which requires a small donation... [well worth it to get his VIP versions IMO]

I'm not sure how mac would allow for this because of its 'finder'... but in windows I also have a simple script that opens my FX Chains window as a normal system window from a toolbar button right inside reaper..
...and from the open window I can drag and drop whatever is there onto tracks and items at will....

There could also be ways to load certain FX onto selected tracks via some custom actions...

Some of these ways might suit your wishes
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #29
mschnell

Quote:
FX Chain is a confusing term in that it can be a single FX, or a chain of as many as you want.
Moreover it's a confusing term as in an FX "chain" the plugins do not need to be in a chain (row) but also 9can form a "net" due to internal pin-routing.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #30
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Moreover it's a confusing term as in an FX "chain" the plugins do not need to be in a chain (row) but also 9can form a "net" due to internal pin-routing.

-Michael
I think I know what you meant to say but it likely would be more helpful to explain this in detail for Pt.Reyes and others... if you care to type a bunch
Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #31
peter5992

Reaper is great for composing (never used Cubase) - very stable, and infinitely customizable; and it works great with video. Audio editing is a piece of cake.

As to custom user interfaces, my alltime favorite is Alberto's Pro Tools theme 2.0.5 - I have OTR as well but there's a glitch with coloring tracks. I'm about to do a complete re-install of all drives on my DAW and reinstalling OS, maybe it'll go away after that.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #32
hopi

peter... what is the coloring glitch you mention?

PS... curious if you have ever tried my CIRCUS theme... the latest version of course?

I like Alberts pro gold and have it ... but use my own even so...

Last edited by hopi; 04-26-2017 at 01:59 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #33
peter5992

Quote:
peter... what is the coloring glitch you mention?

PS... curious if you have ever tried my CIRCUS theme... the latest version of course?

I like Alberts pro gold and have it ... but use my own even so...
Every new track I insert is purple for whatever reason.

I seem to be the only one suffering from this ... typical. I'd really want to make this work but I have a few other items that I need to sort out first (upgrades etc.).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #34
EvilDragon

Do you have SWS Auto-Color set up that way, perhaps?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote