Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
amc
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 8 and M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R

Although this is a driver issue, I wonder if someone has come accross this problem and solved it

I moved to a new laptop, i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 8. My interface is the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R. It worked well until yesterday, .. playing back a mp3 track caused some sudden silents (less than one second) every 8 or 10 seconds. Unusable.... I discovered that avid (the owner of this M-AUDIO device) had published a new driver, supported by Windows 8, 30th May 2013. Installed it and the problem disappeared, but from time to time (again, every 8 to 10 seconds) the sound (just an mp3, no vst, no input instruments, nothing,...) crisped for a while, making it again unusable.

I will contact AVID in Spain to see the best path for support, but if someone has something to say I would appreciate it. I would prefer not to install W7 or other radical solutions (like getting rid of the FastTrack Ultra - just 2 years old- and spend money in another device),....

thanks
amc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
ivansc

Sorry - I posted about a problem with i-series and USB 1.1 devices but checked and yours should be USB2.
Good luck with finding a solution.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
JGrabowMST

Are you using your Ultra 8R with a USB3.0 port, or a USB2.0 port? Have you tried moving the cable to a different USB port? Sounds silly, but more often than not, can fix your problem.

I run Windows 8 and use the M-Audio 2626 with no problems at all, I even have a pair of Artist Mixes running with no problems so far in Pro Tools or Adobe Audition (Reaper only works reliably with 1 at a time).

Outside of some non audio software related issues with Windows 8, I haven't had a single problem yet.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
JonD

The fact that you're experiencing these "glitches" at regular intervals is a good sign -- it means that there is likely a background process running every so often (8 to 10 seconds in your case).

Make sure you disable all unneeded background tasks (including stuff like power management tools in the BIOS: Speedstep C1E, etc), along with the OS side. Remember that new PCs usually are loaded down with crap that's preinstalled, a lot of it running in the background. Get rid of everything you don't need!

I haven't worked with Win8 yet, but I assume msconfig still gets you to the startup jobs...

Good luck!
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Mercado_Negro

I bought one of those Fast Track Ultra 8R 2 months ago and it's on sale already, what a big waste of money. The unit itself isn't that bad (those pres are very good for its price, in my opinion) but the drivers and its control panel are aweful. The latest drivers, 6.1.8 IIRC, are horrible... glitches, periods of silences while playing back, random reboots, REAPER crashes and BSODs all over the place here on Win7 64bit. A rock solid system (for years) just went to hell after I bought it. Previous drivers are a much better but they go wild after a while. Avid owns that unit now and they aren't doing a good job in my opinion (see Avid Facebook and you'll see a lot of complains about that unit). I bought a Focusrite Liquid 56 and I couldn't be happier, this thing is incredible and rock solid. Focusrite did a great job with it. Those 2 liquid pres are the bomb!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Billoon

Yeah, i rolled back after trying the new driver too. Worked better on w8 than w7 but still not right. I recommend trying the oldest W7 x64 driver with your system.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Billoon

They just released another update which seems to working OK so far, FWIW.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
Billoon

Scrap that. Rolled back again. Ugh.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
amc

thx
Looks complicated to manage, but I noticed something:
1. Upgrading to the very last driver (avid, Jun 2013), reduces the problem. There are now craps, or glitches or whatever it is in English (it sounds as a subtle but audible "doubt" in the audio, as it if "lost track" for a fraction of second....

2. I think the ONLY situation where I can hear those "doubts" or glitches is when the same REAPER project contains the playing wav or mp3 tracks and several Input tracks, I mean guitar input tracks (1 and 2 in my M.-Audio), and some mics (say, 3,4 and 5). The lesser inputs, the lesser glitches. Having only 1 input track virtually eliminates the problem.

I wanted to use REAPER/M-AUDIO in life venues, playing the wav in the background and allowing 3 mics and 2 guitars to play live... maybe this will be not possible with this equipment.

If this is a driver problem, maybe I should contact Avid to inform them...
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
amc

I swaped the ASIO driver (from the generic ASIO4ALL to the custom FAST TRACK ULTRA 8R ASIO (x64)), and I think it works well now
Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
amc

In my former post I said "I think it works well now":....

well, it is not strictly true.... The lesser inputs, the better (so, instead of 2 guitars in FTUR inputs 1 and 2 and 3 mics in 3,4,5, just 1 guitar and 2 mics, or maybe 1).... it works well sometimes, but not some others...

Driver is the latest one from Avid (July2013), and OS is Windows 8.1, driver is Fast Track Ultra 8R ASIO (x64)..

Any hint? I am always unsure if it will work or not... and I use it sometimes in live venues.

thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
Wilkesin

Using a Fast Track Ultra here and havent had any luck with Reaper in months. I gave up, came back, thinking about giving up again. It just never finds my ASIO drivers. Studio One has no problems whatsoever with the most recent drivers. I havent rolled back to the Win 7 drivers to give that a try. I dont see why I should have to when another DAW works completely fine.

M-audio Fast Track Ultra
Windows 8.1
12 gigs RAM
i5-2500k intel processor
MSI Mobo
Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #13
Samek

Well, I have been facing this issue since I tried to migrate to Win 8...
My conclusions: Avid drivers v. 6.1.9 and 6.1.8 doesn't work well with Reaper.
At Reaper Preferences, Enable inputs and Output Range are all blank when we select M-Audio USB 2.0 ASIO.
Reaper only accepts version 6.0.8. (From M-Audio before joint). Unfortunately this old version doesn't have the new improvements on control panel...
I find this is a Reaper issue (though Avid's work on these drivers is poor), once the new drivers work well with Cubase, Sonar etc.
Samek is offline   Reply With Quote