Human being with feelings

Default VOS Density mkIII

Out today.

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

Kyle
Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
BenK-msx

yay. if anything along the lines of thrillseeker, times is good.

though in another more selfish way i want everyone to pass this one by, go on.. shoo.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Wolffman

Thanks Kyle.

Sounds like some major changes to this plugin from reading the blog, i love Bootsy's plugins but Density is one i haven't used all that much, i'll certainly give this one a decent go though.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
solaris1982

I used them all the time on the old laptop...unfortunately, my new recording rig is an iMac...no joy for me.
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
earlabs

m/s compression... is there another vst that does that (except for ozone)?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
airon

Did a small test on some speech material. Very easy to dial in and tweak.

This is easily amongst the best freeware compressors like JSComp, and it has a nice limiter mode. Distortion and harmonics can be dialed in separately with the colour screw, which makes it even more flexible.

A fine unit. Runs perfectly so far bridged in 64-bit Reaper.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
IK Opto does this as well.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Mercado_Negro

When Bootsie says

"The transient response is spot on now over the entire spectrum and it creates sonic depth and dimension..."

He's not kidding.

I didn't like the mkII version at all, the compression was all over the place with it (though it sounded good on some sources like pads, soft synths, etc.) This version grabs transients in a way I've only heard on HW compressors, very very good. The VCA color knob is a serious plus, I really like it (just don't overdo it).

I've tried to stay away from 32bit plug-ins but I'll definitely make an exception in this case.

Bootsie's best creation (well, improvement) so far, in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing the news.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
When Bootsie says

"The transient response is spot on now over the entire spectrum and it creates sonic depth and dimension..."

He's not kidding.

I didn't like the mkII version at all, the compression was all over the place with it (though it sounded good on some sources like pads, soft synths, etc.) This version grabs transients in a way I've only heard on HW compressors, very very good. The VCA color knob is a serious plus, I really like it (just don't overdo it).

I've tried to stay away from 32bit plug-ins but I'll definitely make an exception in this case.

Bootsie's best creation (well, improvement) so far, in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing the news.
Better than ThrillseekerLA? I find that hard to believe. That plug is nothing short of completely brilliant. I'm really looking forward to using this!
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Better than ThrillseekerLA? I find that hard to believe. That plug is nothing short of completely brilliant. I'm really looking forward to using this!
To me? Yes, completely. I don't like ThrillseekerLA at all. Different tastes, I guess
Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
mullerpeter

Quote:
Molot which is also free and awesome:

http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
bluzkat

Quote:
Voxengo see here: http://www.voxengo.com/group/compressor-plugins/.

Look through the specs, some do, some don't.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Wilkesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
To me? Yes, completely. I don't like ThrillseekerLA at all. Different tastes, I guess
Crap. My opinion runs right with yours. Have abandoned 32 bit plugs. May have to make an exception...
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
musicroom

Quote:
PSP Oldtimer in also in that group...
Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkesin View Post
Crap. My opinion runs right with yours. Have abandoned 32 bit plugs. May have to make an exception...
It works nicely in Reaper x64 on Windows 7 x64.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I confirm that. It is even behaving embedded in a dedicated process, which is almost a miracle for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
kindafishy

Holy, chit, mang, there are people who don't like ThrillseekerLA!?!? I love that plug. It's sooooo nice on bass and vocals. By extension, I figured that everyone else loves it too, ha ha.

Now I really want to try out the new Density plug! Then again, maybe I won't like it, eh? Gotta find out for myself.

Anyway, Bootsy, if you happen to come across this thread, thank you very much for all your hard work and for sharing it with us! ...I guess I could go say thanks on your blog, but that would be too easy.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
bls

I didn't get along with mkII very well, but this new one is much better for me.

I like thrillseeker a lot as well.

I've been finding that these low distortion compressors that he's making are really great for distorted guitars and drum overheads too.
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Billoon

Yeah, i'm loving this too.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #20
ugh

Quote:
Holy, chit, mang, there are people who don't like ThrillseekerLA!?!? I love that plug. It's sooooo nice on bass and vocals. By extension, I figured that everyone else loves it too, ha ha.
tbh, I did not have use for any of the Bootsy plugins so far. Guess I tried most of them some point or looked up their features.

I just don't dig the things they do to Audio, they have a kind of coloring that I don't want to have at all.
Or I don't need the type of plugins regarding the features.

But tastes are different, I do realisze many people like Bootsy's plugins.
I got no problem with that.

And indeed it's very nice and amazing he makes those plugins free to use.
Since they are so pupular I will keep checking o his new releases, someday he might have something I want to use
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #21
Wilkesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Yeah, I've never had a problem with Reaper bridging plugs but I work about half my time in S1 now too which has no built in bit bridge. I got tired of fooling with jBridge and my plugins in general. Kind of decided to go all 64-bit or toss it to force myself to thin out the herd. Barrier to entry so to speak.

I really dont understand what's taking so long for 64-bit compatibility to catch up. Some manufacturers (even freeware) seemed to have zero issue with it.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
kindafishy

Hmmm... well...

To each his own, I guess. I've had a lot of time to spend with this compressor now, and I can say that I really don't care for it, although I can see why many (majority maybe) people would. It seems to add a low end 'heft' to everything, which might seem like a great thing in theory, but personally, I don't want a compressor to do this, I want a compressor to be more transparent in what it is doing. I'm starting to like ReaComp more and more these days, actually.

As far as a comparison between both compressors, I much prefer ThrillseekerLA to this for all the material I have used both of them on.

Just an opinion...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
brainwreck

Quote:
Hmmm... well...

To each his own, I guess. I've had a lot of time to spend with this compressor now, and I can say that I really don't care for it, although I can see why many (majority maybe) people would. It seems to add a low end 'heft' to everything, which might seem like a great thing in theory, but personally, I don't want a compressor to do this, I want a compressor to be more transparent in what it is doing. I'm starting to like ReaComp more and more these days, actually.

As far as a comparison between both compressors, I much prefer ThrillseekerLA to this for all the material I have used both of them on.

Just an opinion...
Keeping in mind that Density is a bus comp: Initially, I liked it a lot. Lately, I'm a bit on the fence. To my ears, it not only adds a little weight, but it smooths the sound a bit, for lack of a better description. I use it here and there, though. I still have not found a software compressor that I'm content with, but it could be that I suck at using compression, too. I have tried a lot of compressors, though. For ThrillseekerLA, I don't get the appeal. What is it that you like about it?
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
richie43

I love a few Bootsy plugins, but honestly, I quit using Density over a year ago. I can't explain why I don't like it, I just don't. And when I first tried Thrillseeker, I liked the simplicity and punch, but for my work, I prefer Stillwell's "Rocket" for the times I would have used Thrillseeker. But I do like the new Thrillseeker exciter type plugin, so far I have not deleted it and it finds it's way onto projects.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
chip mcdonald

I love Thrillseeker. One of the reasons I went back to using x32 Reaper. Which has made a mess of my plugin folders, but "oh well" at least it works.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I love Thrillseeker. One of the reasons I went back to using x32 Reaper. Which has made a mess of my plugin folders, but "oh well" at least it works.
Why don't you just bridge it? That's how I use Thrillseeker IIRC.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
Stu

Quote:
Hmmm... well...

Just an opinion...
Have you tried adjusting the Color knob all the way to the left? It makes it much more transparent, Density was always supposed to be a 'character' compressor from what I remember reading on bootsys site but with MKIII he added the colour control to be able to tame or remove this aspect in order for the plugin to be used for mastering.

I like Density MKIII more than the earlier versions, but in almost all cases I get better results using Cytomics The Glue instead.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Lawrence

Thrillseeker is nice indeed.

There's nothing (imo, mmv) all that particularly special or unique about it's "sound" and all that. What makes it so handy (imo, mmv again) is that it does it's thing and still sounds good on anything I run through it... even with somewhat heavy compression ratios.

Vocals, drums, busses, the master, whatever. It never really sounds "bad" on anything... which makes it a really handy 'goto' compressor. That same reason is (I think) why people like Waves RComp so much, it sounds good on just about anything.

As to Density, I actually kinda like it on things like rap vocals and/or backing vocal group busses.

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
Sinner

Quote:
Hmmm... well...

Just an opinion...
Well that's just your opinion man.

Just kidding. Actually, I specifically use the Variety of Sounds stuff because it does affect the tone/timber of the sound.

When I want to compress things without 'coloring' I will use Reacomp or for tougher material, a multicomp, or TDL Feedback Compressor.

So I need both types of comp.

Alternatively, I could use a transparent compressor plus another plug for saturation, but it is a speed of workflow issue, and I suppose on certain signals, assuming current tools at disposal, would be a somewhat different result.

Last edited by Sinner; 01-10-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Keeping in mind that Density is a bus comp: Initially, I liked it a lot. Lately, I'm a bit on the fence. To my ears, it not only adds a little weight, but it smooths the sound a bit, for lack of a better description. I use it here and there, though. I still have not found a software compressor that I'm content with, but it could be that I suck at using compression, too. I have tried a lot of compressors, though. For ThrillseekerLA, I don't get the appeal. What is it that you like about it?
I feel the same as Lawrence. He said it well. I find that it never hurts the sound, even when pushed really hard.

Also, I think it is very good at riding the input. I like that I can use it as a classic LA, yet I still have a little bit of control over attack and release for fine tuning.

The interstage section is the icing on the cake for me. I use this compressor mainly to give something controlled dynamics so I can give it a firm placement in a mix. Sometimes, engaging this section and selecting the right spectrum setting is the difference between something sitting right in the mix or not fitting quite perfectly.

I just find that it is a tool that does what I want it to do.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
brainwreck

Quote:
I feel the same as Lawrence. He said it well. I find that it never hurts the sound, even when pushed really hard.

Also, I think it is very good at riding the input. I like that I can use it as a classic LA, yet I still have a little bit of control over attack and release for fine tuning.

The interstage section is the icing on the cake for me. I use this compressor mainly to give something controlled dynamics so I can give it a firm placement in a mix. Sometimes, engaging this section and selecting the right spectrum setting is the difference between something sitting right in the mix or not fitting quite perfectly.

I just find that it is a tool that does what I want it to do.
Thanks for the explanation. For a comp that doesn't get in the way, I think that Reacomp has that covered. Generally though, I'm looking for plugins that add some character...I really want hardware, but that isn't practical for multiple reasons. As for the saturation in Thrillseeker, I haven't found why it is appealing. Same goes for the 'color' on Density, and the saturation on NastyDLA. It reminds me of a low budget preamp that I used to have that had a 'tube' knob. The further I turned it up, the worse the sound got. I'm not arguing against anyone's opinion on these plugins, just trying to understand the appeal.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Have you tried adjusting the Color knob all the way to the left? It makes it much more transparent, Density was always supposed to be a 'character' compressor from what I remember reading on bootsys site but with MKIII he added the colour control to be able to tame or remove this aspect in order for the plugin to be used for mastering.

I like Density MKIII more than the earlier versions, but in almost all cases I get better results using Cytomics The Glue instead.
I have, yes. However, now that I am thinking more about it, I am not sure if I tried adjusting it when I was using on material where I felt it was doing too much to the low end. I'll try it out more with that in mind. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Thanks for the explanation. For a comp that doesn't get in the way, I think that Reacomp has that covered. Generally though, I'm looking for plugins that add some character...I really want hardware, but that isn't practical for multiple reasons. As for the saturation in Thrillseeker, I haven't found why it is appealing. Same goes for the 'color' on Density, and the saturation on NastyDLA. It reminds me of a low budget preamp that I used to have that had a 'tube' knob. The further I turned it up, the worse the sound got. I'm not arguing against anyone's opinion on these plugins, just trying to understand the appeal.
The saturation in ThrillseekerLA only really makes an impression on me if I adjust it while the full mix is playing. On some material it doesn't make a difference, and I haven't heard it before, but I can imagine it making something harsh if you have enough harmonic content in the material already (as in, you don't ice a cake that already has a layer of icing on it), however on other material I have adjusted the slider and quite literally heard "helps the mix sing" vs. "doesn't sit quite right". I am sure it is very much dependent on the source.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #34
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Well that's just your opinion man.

Just kidding. Actually, I specifically use the Variety of Sounds stuff because it does affect the tone/timber of the sound.

When I want to compress things without 'coloring' I will use Reacomp or for tougher material, a multicomp, or TDL Feedback Compressor.

So I need both types of comp.

Alternatively, I could use a transparent compressor plus another plug for saturation, but it is a speed of workflow issue, and I suppose on certain signals, assuming current tools at disposal, would be a somewhat different result.
Makes perfect sense. Now that you mention the idea of using a separate plug for saturation, that could be why I shy away from density. I have been using Satson on each of my tracks, and I think it already adds harmonic content. Could be...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Why don't you just bridge it? That's how I use Thrillseeker IIRC.

It seemed I always would get frozen screens, crashes. Not necessarily with Thrillseeker/Bootsy, but other bridged VSTs/VSTis.

In particular, I could never get Redwirez x64 impulse loader to work, all of that combined sent me back to x32. Hate to say it, seems to work better.