Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Tonehenge
Human being with feelings

Default Using Studio One for my next project....

I'm going to tell you why. I love Reaper, and it will continue to be my go-to workstation app for a long time to come, but my next project is going to be heavy on real-time composition, and I find Studio One to be excellent for a number of things in that arena. I upgraded to Professional version from the Artist version they included with my StudioLive console. In the milieu of product that is available in this particular arena (think Cubase, Logic, Sonar), S1-V2 does it for me. They package it with useful sound libraries too, which I may very avail myself on the process.

At this point, you're asking, why is he telling us this? This is the Reaper forum! Well, I just thought the contrasting experiences between these two capable platforms would be informative. The fact is, each of these packages have strengths seemingly where the others weaknesses lay. When it comes to editing audio for instance, S1-2 seems to bog me down the way Cubendo seemed to. I get the job done, but not at the speed of light I'm accustomed to with Reaper. To be fair to S1-2, maybe I have to give it a bit more time with their way of thinking. I'll let you know if my speed picks up.

Handling plugins, particularly instruments, is a different story. I love the drag n drop, and the sure-fire way they all respond to input. Midi editing rocks too. And, don't get me started on deeply integrated Melodyne (I've upgraded to Editor). The audio quantize features are truly wondrous....

S1-2 isn't nearly as configurable as Reaper (but, what is?) Actually, S1-2 isn't that configurable at all, but I think that is the designers point. They seemed to put a lot of attention into workflow related issues, and for this project, where I am expected to get a lot done during the tracking sessions, I do think that will bode well. The comping/layer/takes feature is a treat but for one minor caveat, and I love the solution they have instituted for cue mixes. Much simpler to operate than virtually any other app, and certain to inspire confidence in the talent. Their cans shall rock!
Interestingly, I own PT-9, and Cubase 6.5, as well as Reaper, but I have found the stripped down nature of S1-2 to be inspiring. I am coming to realize that with Reaper and S1-2 as my 1a and 1b solutions for my clients, PT and Steinberg are going to grow hair....

Should I be selling those licenses?

The project gets underway next month. Will keep you posted. I hope the Reaper devs find it all informative. I'm not looking for Reaper to clone anything, but I still believe they have a way to go in terms of workflow related issues, before it is the full meal deal that it is steaming towards. It's going to get there...just not there enough for me right now.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Tonehenge

Reaper is what it is. S1 is what it is. I'm not going to conclude that one is "better" or "more productive" globally.

Music production is complicated, whatever platform or software you choose to use. The one thing that both Reaper and S1 share seemingly, is STABILITY. This is a quality that I really crave above all. The Steinberg stuff is still so brittle. Makes my mind worry in the background about file corruption, and things like that. Takes me away from making music...

In any event, thanks for piping up. I'll ignore the comment about productivity, since you don't me, my experience and background in desktop audio, et al. Trust me, I wouldn't be moving forward if I didn't feel bullish on the subject.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
You misunderstood. I don't think THIS THREAD is going to be productive. I have absolutely no idea about your skills/etc and would never assume anything. BUT there have been threads (one in particular) lately that just was lame.

I wish you the best of luck, and like I said, if I could use S1, I'd use it. "It is what it is" is more of a knock on devs who seem to be of the mind that midi isn't that important.

I swear to god, in that other thread I mentioned people even said things like "I don't use midi, why should the devs work on it" ROLL!

Anyways, sorry, it wasn't aimed as a knock against you in any way
Understood. I hope the thread maintains a high level of critical thinking. Perhaps I'm too naive. I enjoy communicating what I learn to a (hopefully) appreciative community. It helps me understand what I'm doing when I intellectually regurgitate it. We all have a different learning strategy!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Are you on Mac or PC? No particular reason for aking other than curiousity.

In any case, "break a leg" on the project, no matter what you end up using for it.
I'm completely cross-platform. The desktop is a Hackintosh (OSX 10.6.7-Win 7 Pro 64bit) 2.66 i7 goosed to 3.71 ghz, and 12 gig RAM) The lappy is a mid 2010 MacBook Pro with the 2.66 i7 dual core and 8 gig ram running 10.7.3
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Smurf

"The audio quantize features are truly wondrous...."

This is what keeps me a happy S1 user right alongside Reaper....
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Viente

What is the meaning of this post anyway?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
What is the meaning of this post anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
I'm going to tell you why. I love Reaper, and it will continue to be my go-to workstation app for a long time to come, but my next project is going to be heavy on real-time composition, and I find Studio One to be excellent for a number of things in that arena.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
cricket

Outsider perspective:

Is this the same teenager who started the other thread recently about Studio One? Wasnt it a poll? Wasnt the text and speech a bit similar?

Just goin on vibes here....maybe im wrong

(Lemme tighten that, Chris... :P )
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
nicholas
Scribe

Horses for courses ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Outsider perspective:

Is this the same teenager who started the other thread recently about Studio One? Wasnt it a poll? Wasnt the text and speech a bit similar?

Just goin on vibes here....maybe im wrong

(Lemme tighten that, Chris... :P )
hahaha!
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Ok, but who cares?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Outsider perspective:

Is this the same teenager who started the other thread recently about Studio One?
Maybe he found the fountain of youth!?!

Tonehenge is a long-time Reaper user... I don't think we need to question his intentions.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
DigiDis

I demo'ed Studio 1 a few weeks ago after the last S1 debate. Sure, its a fresh environment, but honestly, in terms of workflow for composition it is nothing spectacular. I still think Ableton Live is the cat's meow for composition, but then I compose, not the software. I compose in Reaper just as well as I do in Live. I compose better with a guitar in hand and a master keyboard controller close by. The DAW software is pretty much irrelevant. You either have the music in you or you don't. Thinking that DAW software magically pulls creativity out is really just wishful thinking.

Mozart created some of the worlds greatest music without a DAW. Today, with all the processing power and toys available, the best we can do is the latest Britney Spears project. I think society is too focused on using technology to mask the real need for pure creative talent.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
ST.

I know the feeling of wanting to switch to a new DAW, or at least use a different one as an alternative once in a while. I just started using Reaper maybe for that very reason.

Is it safe to say that it is like picking up a secondary instrument to compose with? Maybe unfamiliarity or having to figure out new ways to accomplish a task causes us to think in different ways that may lend themselves to creativity.

In my experience, the bottom line is whether or not the new/different experience is productive.

By the way, I don't think using two DAW's is uncommon at all. I think you're absolutely right when you say that some DAW's have strengths where other DAW's have weaknesses. That's not to say that there isn't any overlap, though. If you want to stick with just one particular DAW there are certain trade-offs, or compromises that one must make. If such compromises cause problems creativity or work flow-wise and you have the time to learn all of the ins and outs, then by all means why not pick up a secondary DAW?
ST. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
speedtouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post
I demo'ed Studio 1 a few weeks ago after the last S1 debate. Sure, its a fresh environment, but honestly, in terms of workflow for composition it is nothing spectacular. I still think Ableton Live is the cat's meow for composition, but then I compose, not the software. I compose in Reaper just as well as I do in Live. I compose better with a guitar in hand and a master keyboard controller close by. The DAW software is pretty much irrelevant. You either have the music in you or you don't. Thinking that DAW software magically pulls creativity out is really just wishful thinking.

Mozart created some of the worlds greatest music without a DAW. Today, with all the processing power and toys available, the best we can do is the latest Britney Spears project. I think society is too focused on using technology to mask the real need for pure creative talent.
Yeah, I agree with you Digi. If you can play your instruments well why the hell do you need all this fancy functionality. Doesn't quantising just ruin the feel of a well played instrument? Whats the point? Some of the best stuff ever recorded was done on primitive equipment by todays standards. I think it's funny that many people have these really advanced setups and they're constantly faffing about with the quantising etc, but you listen to the music and it's bloody awful. But they think they're a pro because they can quantise everything.

I'm thinking of going back to my old copy of SAW Studio as a protest against all this feature bloat. It records music, it does it well, I can get great results in it and theres something liberating about the fact that thats all it does. It diverts your attention away from the DAW to the business of creating music. Whats quicker in the end? Recording an accurate take or faffing about with transient detection and quantising to get something right?
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
Smurf

If ya want to go back to the basics, grab the Kristal Audio Engine....no midi, 16 tracks, 2 effects slots on channels & 3 on the master out....and rock solid for a few of us for that last 6 years....
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
pbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
If ya want to go back to the basics, grab the Kristal Audio Engine....no midi, 16 tracks, 2 effects slots on channels & 3 on the master out....and rock solid for a few of us for that last 6 years....
Oh, that brought me some sweet memories.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
chrisharbin

I got pawned.

Anyways, sorry I ruined the thread, later.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Yeah, I agree with you Digi. If you can play your instruments well why the hell do you need all this fancy functionality. Doesn't quantising just ruin the feel of a well played instrument? Whats the point? Some of the best stuff ever recorded was done on primitive equipment by todays standards.
These read like output of an AutoPost2MusicForum plugin set to "Gen-u-ine Musician" mode.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
joelsampson

BFD -- I'm using Cakewalk for DOS on DOS 3.3 on my next project. All this audio stuff is for wimps anyway. Real musicians use MIDI.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #21
speedtouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
These read like output of an AutoPost2MusicForum plugin set to "Gen-u-ine Musician" mode.
Ok Marah I will have a laugh at myself. All I'm really saying is that it's often quicker and produces better results to do things straight forwardly rather than relying on technology to put things right after the fact. Composing using midi can be a real PITA because it's slow and hard to get a decent feel where it doesn't sound like a robot on steroids. If you've got the skill and patience to do it that way great but to me it's more of a programmers/composers approach than a musicians. I can appreciate the uses of transient detection etc for creating midi parts but it's still more work to get it sounding right.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
hotjams

Default Lots of features that I have been looking for and these

Features seem to be implemented in a very intuitive manner....
hotjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Tonehenge

Maybe I enjoy starting these things because I'm a bit of a demagogue! In any event, I wish I was a teenager again, but the 70's weren't kind to me.

I found out one thing in a hurry that Reaper is still tops at... actually recording. The ability to quickly handle and set up punches is something we could easily take for granted. I still have to get my head around the S1 model. I'd like to be completely fair minded about this. I'm sure a daily driver of S1 moves along very quickly in this regard, but Reaper is lightning! (There, does that make the Reaper fanboize happy?)
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #24
speedtouch

Quote:
Maybe I enjoy starting these things because I'm a bit of a demagogue! In any event, I wish I was a teenager again, but the 70's weren't kind to me.

I found out one thing in a hurry that Reaper is still tops at... actually recording. The ability to quickly handle and set up punches is something we could easily take for granted. I still have to get my head around the S1 model. I'd like to be completely fair minded about this. I'm sure a daily driver of S1 moves along very quickly in this regard, but Reaper is lightning! (There, does that make the Reaper fanboize happy?)
Why do you call people fanboize when they merely express their opinions just like you do? Believe it or not some people might like reaper better than studio one for other usability reasons. It seems to show a lack of self awareness that you don't realise you're behaving just like the people you criticize. Calling people fanboize usually translates as "I think my daws better than yours but I personally am not a fanboi, but you sure are" !!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
bluzkat

Quote:
Why do you call people fanboize when they merely express their opinions just like you do? Believe it or not some people might like reaper better than studio one for other usability reasons. It seems to show a lack of self awareness that you don't realise you're behaving just like the people you criticize. Calling people fanboize usually translates as "I think my daws better than yours but I personally am not a fanboi, but you sure are" !!
Dude,

Relax... nobody called you a fanboy! No need to get all twitchy!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #26
speedtouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Dude,

Relax... nobody called you a fanboy! No need to get all twitchy!

I didn't say he did ! I was pointing out HIS fanboi-ism. The lack of insight into himself. I just found it amusing. Are you getting twitchy about my perceived twitchiness? We human beings can't seem to open our mouths without motive can we?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #27
Tonehenge

Quote:
I didn't say he did ! I was pointing out HIS fanboi-ism. The lack of insight into himself. I just found it amusing. Are you getting twitchy about my perceived twitchiness? We human beings can't seem to open our mouths without motive can we?
A cursory examination of most of my posts should reveal a fairly well rounded, self-aware personality. While I appreciate your attempts at armchair psychology, best to leave that to the experts, eh? I take no offense though. Forums are a sandbox that folks of all capacities can play in. The "fanboize" reference was a completely tongue in cheek expression. You reveal yourself as being dour and humourless. How unfortunate.

In any event, I always find it informative when I find discussions that contrast experiences of interest to like minded people. My last entry illuminated an area of performance that I find more intuitive in Reaper. This is not a statement of Reapers' superiority, but rather, a shared perspective with the devs on the best way a DAW should function on the subject of recording punches.

I remember when there was an animated discussion about Reaper's handling of takes and lanes. It was controversial, but as I grew into it, I developed an organic familiarity with it. S1's handling of takes, lanes, and layers is somewhat similar to the latest crop of ideas. One the one hand, it doesn't offer the completely free flow you get on the actual recording side with Reaper, but compensates by being much more nimble on the comping side.

That is todays entry. If your looking at this thread, and thinking about contributing, try to adhere to a spirit of cheerful heart, and unbridled civility, and take into account that I don't give a flying f#$k about the opinion of armchair psychologists who think they have me sorted out.
(That is supposed to be shock and awe humour, for those of you just waiting to take offense...)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
Dormouse

Quote:
I was pointing out HIS fanboi-ism.
What fanboi-ism?

He started the thread as a committed Reaper user who was going to write about his experiences when using S1 for his next project. He likes some aspects of S1, and was going to see how it worked for a full project. Where's the fanboi-ism in that?

I find it sad that this (and similar) threads has so many off-topic comments. Most of us have used more than one DAW, many of us use more than one currently and we nearly all have some interest in how other DAWs compare. But usually not to the extent of wanting to try them out ourselves unless there's a particular reason for it.

I will find it interesting to see comments on how S1 feels and works from the point of view of a Reaper user. It might lead me to check it out in more detail. And where, except on a Reaper forum, can I expect to find threads from the POV of a Reaper user?
Dormouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
bluzkat

dormouse... nicely stated!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
drybij

Can you rewire S1 into Reaper? Wouldn't that give you the best of both?
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #31
Wilkesin

I have moved to a hybrid approach as well, and Im having a lot of fun with it! Once you have used both programs for a bit you see things that you know you could do faster in the other DAW and vice versa.

Tonehenge have you taken the time to set up your keyboard shortcuts and macros? I found this helped me quite a bit, and I was able to make many things operate like I already had them setup in Reaper. Less to remember when bouncing back and forth and pretty efficient.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
Wilkesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drybij View Post
Can you rewire S1 into Reaper? Wouldn't that give you the best of both?
No, but you can rewire Reaper into S1. Works great.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
hotjams

Default I'm demoing S1 as well. There are 2 major features that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkesin View Post
No, but you can rewire Reaper into S1. Works great.
Caught my attention. One thing is, if you know one Daw, it's easier to learn a new Daw. It's to early for me to comment on.
hotjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
ivansc

BOUGHT what is now the free version and was totally underwhelmed.

But there again I have been and still am a hybrid DAW user anyway.

I suspect that IF I bought the "pro" version of S1 I might be a little less negative towards it, but there again I am reluctant to risk around £200 just to find out if I am right or not, especially after blowing $$ on what turned out to be a broken demo version.

I mean, no VST/VSTi support????!!!!

Er I have been gently and privately corrected - apparently the free version is different to the Artist version I bought, so I apologise if I misled anyone.

Last edited by ivansc; 04-22-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Old person dorkiness strikes again!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #35
chrisharbin

edit, why bother!

Last edited by chrisharbin; 04-22-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
Cosmic

I'm a fanboy!

And fucking proud of it.

But in that common internet parlez ..YMMV!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #37
fedexnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Are you on Mac or PC? No particular reason for aking other than curiousity.

In any case, "break a leg" on the project, no matter what you end up using for it.

I like Mac vs PC better too !!!!!
fedexnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #38
ivansc

Quote:
Maybe I enjoy starting these things because I'm a bit of a demagogue!
You think you are a leader/teacher????
Confused here - what did you really mean to say?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You think you are a leader/teacher????
Confused here - what did you really mean to say?
I don't think I'm anything. I just thought the topic could be interesting and informative. I'm rethinking this whole thing because of some of this utterly petulant input.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #40
chrisharbin

Oh I see, again........someone has a difference of opinion of your and they are childish.

I should have know.