Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
kelp
Human being with feelings

Default Any comments on Joe Gilder's "Understanding EQ" videos?

www.understandingeq.com

I really appreciate some of his daily e-mails. Seems knowledgeable and very down-to-earth.

Yes, he offers a money-back guarantee but I thought I'd ping the group for their experiences.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
mabian

I bought it; it's quite interesting, because it gives you some hints and techniques and in the meanwhile helps you discover things by actually "hearing" them in real examples.

I found it very useful also because you get the mp3 only podcasts, and I listened to them in my car repeatedly (the videos are made so that even the audio only part is helpful). Very instructive... I'm thinking of purchasing "Understanding compression" also...

Make sure you also subscribe to RecordingRevolution.com newsletter.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
trevlyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Make sure you also subscribe to RecordingRevolution.com newsletter.

- Mario
Wrong site! I found it at therecordingrevolution.com and subscribed right away!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
EddieRoss

Default Good Stuff

That does look very good. I would like to finally know what I'm really doing. But just went crazy and order'd a bunch of Kennys vids. So I'll have to wait.
Mabian, I also checked out RecordingRevolution and joined up. I down loaded that e-Book but where did it go? Cant find it. Any help? Thanks E.
EddieRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
mabian

I stand corrected

- Mario
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Panic

Three reasons you don't need to waste $50 for that video:

- Somewhere around here there is a free JS ear-training plugin.
*edit* found it: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...39&postcount=1

- Anything you ever wanted to know about EQing is freely available for the Googling.
example: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995.../mar95/eq.html

- Level matching and the bypass button are free and will teach you more than any of the above.

Last edited by Panic; 04-27-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: found the ear training plug
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Smurf

The Best Part Of The Recording Revolution IMHO!

I also recently bought his "ReThink Mixing" video and am OK with it. It gave me some good groundwork to apply, and I have noticed an improvement in a few of the mixes I have done since getting it, but there is a lot of pops - clicks - and one part of a drum fill just sounds bad across all the supplied tracks.

Over all I expected a little better quality tracks for $97, but for a learning tool I think it is worth it...I mean you will run into these problems in real life, right?

And Thanks for this thread about Joe's stuff...I am debating the EQ & Compression from him against Grahams Jumpstart Collection.....

Last edited by Smurf; 04-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Agreed...5 minute tips.

Last edited by Panic; 04-27-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
BenK-msx

you could watch and listen to a video, or you can spend that time watching and listening to reaeq's analysis (show tabs unticked) and its effect on the track you need to eq as you mess about cutting frequencies..

the other thing is 'get rid of bad.'

do that for a few years like THE REST OF US!! [SHAKES FIST]

I'm just kidding, i'm sure 'tutorial videos' are great but i also suspect them to be evil in some way, mainly as we didn't have them in my day..
Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Panic

Article explaining Mike Stavrou's Cracking Compressors

Highly recommended book, if you don't have it: Mixing With Your Mind, by Mike Stavrou
Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Reaperto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
...a free JS ear-training plugin.
Great!

Another free option: Tune

http://earplugins.eu/
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Wilkesin

http://recordingology.com/category/in-the-mix/

This awesome EQ lecture was free at one time. Seems like you might have to be an AES memeber to watch now...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Smurf

Nothing personal, but I read Mixing With Your Mind, by Mike Stavrou when a friend bought it, and I would not have paid what they want for it....

ReaMix, Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio, or Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools are worth the price they ask IMHO...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
Panic

Not sure why the price is so high now. I bought it when it first came out and only paid something like $30.

Have and like the others you mentioned, too. Mixing Secrets is my favorite, at the moment. Mike did a really good job with it and the online resources are great. You really get alot of value for your money.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Smurf

My friend paid something like $85 shipped....
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
Panic

I don't think I'd buy it again at that price either. Then again, if you put it in the context of a $50 video on EQ, or that $97 video you mentioned, $85 isn't entirely out of line. But, maybe anything over $30 for a tutorial video is just preposterous.

*edit* I need to get into the information business.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Bezmotivnik

Have reserved some of these titles from the library. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Smurf

Quote:
I don't think I'd buy it again at that price either. Then again, if you put it in the context of a $50 video on EQ, or that $97 video you mentioned, $85 isn't entirely out of line. But, maybe anything over $30 for a tutorial video is just preposterous.

*edit* I need to get into the information business.
I agree, tho being a "visual learner" the videos seem like the better deal...but I can not carry them around either...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
Joe Gilder

Hey Kelp,

If you have any specific questions on the videos, feel free to email me directly. joe at homestudiocorner dot com.

I can forward you a few emails I've gotten from customers who've bought it. Hearing from them might help ease the nervousness about buying videos online from a guy you hardly know. (I know it can be a little hard to bite the bullet.)

I got this email earlier this month from a customer named AJ:

"Joe,

I just wanted to say that your understanding EQ tutorials are excellent. My perception of EQ has already shifted and my mixes have instantly begun to sound more cohesive and clear. The ear training and subtractive EQ concept have been real light bulb moments. I have the compression series as will move on to that when I'm done with EQ.

Nice work and thanks for making a reasonable price.

A.J."

The videos certainly aren't for everyone. And aste is right, you can find any information on any topic from Google. Absolutely. But people apparently still buy books, even though they could find the information on the 'net. So tutorial books/videos still have value for a lot of people.

Thanks folks.
Joe Gilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gilder View Post
you can find any information on any topic from Google. Absolutely. But people apparently still buy books, even though they could find the information on the 'net. So tutorial books/videos still have value for a lot of people.
No, you can't find any information on any topic online. The information in Stav's book, for example; while there are a couple techniques from his book floating around the internet (I linked one of them), most of the the value in that book can only be found in that book, because It's not general knowledge, engineering 101 stuff. the value in that book is the product of a careers worth of personal discovery and insight. *

Anyway, I'm not saying your videos have no value. I'm saying that $50 for a video about EQ is a waste of money. Unless, of course you are sharing a careers worth of discovery and insight that we just won't find anywhere else. But, it looks to me like it's just EQ 101, in which case $10 would be the more appropriate price. As it is, I can only recommend what I recommended above.

Here's another EQ article: EQ And The Limits of Audio

*After re-reading Stav's book, I'd buy it again if I lost it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
Joe Gilder

Thanks for the comments, Aste. I'll have to grab a copy of Stav's book. Sounds great!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
mabian

aste, out of curiosity: did you watch the EQ videos from start to end?

Of course you can say Stav's book has unique things in it because your read it, are you talking about Joe's videos having watched them?

I ask because I found at least a couple of very interesting hints in his videos that I could not find anywhere else...

I don't want to push Joe's work just because I bought it (I strongly regret at least a couple plugin purchases so I'm not saying everything I buy is gold) but I honestly believe his videos are worth their price, and I'm thinking of buying the compression series too (which is cheaper than the eq one btw)

Just asking, so to speak...

Thanks,
Mario
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Joe Gilder

Thanks Mario.

Can you shoot me an email?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
Dan42uk

Hi,

Just wanted to say I own a couple of Joe’s tutorial videos ‘Understanding EQ’ & Understanding ‘Compression’
I have found that these have helped me no end, I guess you could Google all the information..
But what you probably wouldn’t get is a tutorial that is well put together & explained in a way that is very easy to follow, they set out clear techniques & goals for improving your mixes.
Sure you have to put the hard work in also & practice – practice more!
I found the cost very reasonable, you can’t even have a quiet night out & a couple of beers for the same price!!
These tutorials you can keep forever & go back to them for a refresher.

There’s also tons & tons of free content on Joe’s site, well worth a look.

Dan

Last edited by Dan42uk; 05-01-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Dan42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Panic

Just to be clear, I have nothing against you, Joe and I don't think your videos suck. I just think your price is out of line with the subject matter. Just an opinion.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Smurf

I guess the same could be said of Kenny & Jonny's videos, since everything covered is available in the Reaper Guides that Geoffrey has written, but I found them to be very useful & well worth the $$.

mabian & Dan42uk, since you both have the "Understanding EQ" video would you say that is a "101" beginner type of video, or is it at a "advanced-beginner - intermediate" level?

Sometimes "something 101" is just what I need to give the old mind a kick in the rear as a refresher.....and this is also just a YMMV IMHO yada yada type of post....
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
Panic

Quote:
I guess the same could be said of Kenny & Jonny's videos, since everything covered is available in the Reaper Guides that Geoffrey has written, but I found them to be very useful & well worth the $$.
Don't ask me what I think of software tutorials. I hate the ones that are basically like: this is feature "X" and this is what this button does, etc. Reaper has a really great pdf manual and it is so easy to search for exactly what you're looking for. I could spend hours looking through videos for the information I need, or I can spend 30 seconds searching the PDF.

The only software tutorials I like aren't really even tutorials. They are just software overviews where they give you the basic layout and tell you what the software can do. Even better are the ones where someone is just working in the software and explaining what they are doing as they go along. Doesn't even have to be software that I use, since most everything you can do with one host you can do with another. It's just a matter of semantics, which is where the user manual comes in.

Some of my favorite tutorials are done in Live. Ableton has a really great user-base. They don't show you how to use Live, they show you how to work in Live, the workflow and methodology. Similar with Pro Tools, just different methods and workflows achieving different results.

The bottom line is I've learned more about using REAPER from Live and Pro Tools users than I have from REAPER users. Well, except for Mr. Francis. Love, Love, Love the user manual.

Anyway, back to the topic of the EQ video; is there such thing as advanced EQ? How much is there to it, really? This is where my main issue with the price comes in. It seems to me that EQ is a pretty narrow subject. There is only so much that can be said about it. The rest is a matter of sitting there and twiddling knobs and listening to the results.

Learn some principles, go twiddle some knobs and listen...and here's a frequency cheat-sheet to help you until your ears develop.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #28
Smurf

Quote:
Even better are the ones where someone is just working in the software and explaining what they are doing as they go along.
This is what the REthink Mixing tutorial is. A little over 6 hours of taking a song from raw tracks to a finished mix, step by step.

I am not sure how Joe's are tho, since I don't own any of his yet, mainly due to a lack of $$$......but if they ever went on sale (hint hint Joe & Graham) I might be able to pick them up sooner....

Jonny's Real World is like this also, tho he uses Reaper 3.x instead of Pro Tools....
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #29
mabian

Quote:
mabian & Dan42uk, since you both have the "Understanding EQ" video would you say that is a "101" beginner type of video, or is it at a "advanced-beginner - intermediate" level?

Sometimes "something 101" is just what I need to give the old mind a kick in the rear as a refresher.....and this is also just a YMMV IMHO yada yada type of post....
It's both imo... it starts from the very beginning - sound, frequencies and so on, and brings up to real world techniques with examples.

Not very thorough but fairly complete. Remember its main purpose is getting the watcher/listener truly understanding what EQ is and how to use it, it doesn't give ready-to-go formulas.

Hope it helps,
Mario
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Joe Gilder

Quote:
Just to be clear, I have nothing against you, Joe and I don't think your videos suck. I just think your price is out of line with the subject matter. Just an opinion.
No offense taken.

If no one bought them, then I would agree with you that the pricing is "out of line." However, people buy 'em every day and write back telling me how helpful they were and worth the money.

That's the beauty of choice. Nobody has to buy a thing if they don't want to.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
Panic

Hmmm...Graham has EQ and Compression videos, too and they're only $17 ea. hint hint

REthink mixing sounds like something I'd like, but again, I have to balk at the price. It's not so much out of line, but the John Merchant mixing videos from Multi-Platinum are half that price...and it's John Merchant. I mean, John Merchant for $50, or Graham Who? for $100?

And again, nothing personal against Graham, or his video, just think the pricing is a bit askew, but at the end of the day, it's the results that matter, so learn what you can, where you can. If you got your money's worth, great; if not, get a refund.

Anyway, I've digressed enough. Time to get back to something more constructive.

I wish Joe and Graham the best in their business ventures.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gilder View Post
That's the beauty of choice. Nobody has to buy a thing if they don't want to.
Absolutely. I'm keenly aware that my position isn't the popular one.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and again, best of luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #33
Joe Gilder

Quote:
Absolutely. I'm keenly aware that my position isn't the popular one.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and again, best of luck.
Thanks. You too.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
Dan42uk

Quote:
I think both beginners & intermediates would gain something from these tutorials.

There are 5 video’s, the first of which walks you through an eq plugin & tell you what parameter does what – great for a newbie.

Although there is a section called ‘ my go to frequencies’ these tutorials don’t really tell you to boost kick drum at x Hz & guitar at x Khz etc..

What it does do is explain how to identify which instruments sit where in the frequency range, how to identify what the most important instruments to your mix are, how to find the most important & unimportant frequencies for those instruments.

It also give you a technique for mixing any instruments you come across to avoid masking.

I had read about some of these techniques before, but when you see somebody applying them & it’s explained in a way that is easily understood – the penny finally dropped for me on a lot of things.

I felt I gained a lot from these tutorials.

Hope that helps.

Dan
Dan42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
Smurf

Thank You for the responses mabian & Dan42uk, the do help!!

I have the Multi-Platinum Mixing video collection, and tho it is also a very in-depth, step by step, 8 hours, it is WAY more "tool specific" than Grahams. I don't use a Mac, I don't use PT, no problem tho, the ideas will transfer.

Most do, but a LOT of the sounds he gets is tied to McDSP - Focusrite - etc plugins which is not that big of a help IMHO. I bought it because it was always highly recommended to me, but in the end Grahams taught me a lot more just for the fact he used all Native plugins for the demonstrations.

Now if Mr. Merchant would do a series using just the native plugins, or even along with free ones like Mike Senior does, then I would be all over that series!! LOL

FOR ME, the Multi-Platinum Mixing video turned me off to the rest of them, and that is a shame since the same song is used across a few of them, from tracking, editing, etc...

All respect aste, these posts are NOT trying to start anything, just voicing views...
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #36
Panic

Quote:
Thank You for the responses mabian & Dan42uk, the do help!!

I have the Multi-Platinum Mixing video collection, and tho it is also a very in-depth, step by step, 8 hours, it is WAY more "tool specific" than Grahams. I don't use a Mac, I don't use PT, no problem tho, the ideas will transfer.

Most do, but a LOT of the sounds he gets is tied to McDSP - Focusrite - etc plugins which is not that big of a help IMHO. I bought it because it was always highly recommended to me, but in the end Grahams taught me a lot more just for the fact he used all Native plugins for the demonstrations.

Now if Mr. Merchant would do a series using just the native plugins, or even along with free ones like Mike Senior does, then I would be all over that series!! LOL

FOR ME, the Multi-Platinum Mixing video turned me off to the rest of them, and that is a shame since the same song is used across a few of them, from tracking, editing, etc...

All respect aste, these posts are NOT trying to start anything, just voicing views...
Yeah, would be nice if they used all native. Brady Barnett, does the same thing with some sort of harmonizer plug-in, in his song production videos. It's annoying for sure, but I just figured it was par for the course, since I'm not using PT, and try to look at it like: here's the concept and now I just need to figure out how to accomplish the same thing using the tools available to me. The funny thing is, some of the simpler solutions I've come up with are along the lines of: write a better part, or arrangement to begin with, or try an instrument with a tone and timbre that fits better to start with, or practice the parts more and get better performances on tape to start with. You know, just getting to the source of things, I guess.

Anyway, that's actually good to know about Grahams mixing videos. It's a definite plus. One of the things I appreciate about him is his -you don't need special gear, or plugins, etc- attitude. I wish someone was around to tell me that when I was getting started. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and frustration.

Peace!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #37
politcat

anyone know of an eq training program that uses real tracks? can't get enough of that

there's one online somewhere but it got old quick since the same one or two songs were used over and over
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
Smurf

Quote:
I wish someone was around to tell me that when I was getting started. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and frustration.
Amen to that! LOL
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #39
tompad

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
anyone know of an eq training program that uses real tracks? can't get enough of that

there's one online somewhere but it got old quick since the same one or two songs were used over and over
I like this one:

http://www.trainyourears.com/train-y...rs-eq-edition/
tompad is offline   Reply With Quote