Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
zinfan
Human being with feelings

Default Waves 64bit shell ignored but not 32bit shell?

Hello. I'm running Reaper 64bit in Windows 7, and I've never had Waves plugins before, but I downloaded the demo for Waves H-EQ as well as Waves 9.2 and the license manager. I put the 32-bit Waves shell in a separate directory from the 64-bit shell.

I first had Reaper only scanning the 64-bit directory, where it picks up all other plugs from other companies, but the Waves plugin goes undetected. But then I had Reaper scan the 32-bit directory and it picked it up fine, though with a lot of stuttering bridging issues when loading it. Any thoughts?

I posted this at the end of another thread about Waves, but my demo period is ticking away, so I'm hoping someone can resolve this for me. I know Waves doesn't support Reaper, but I see that many of you have success with Waves plugins, so I'm still hoping I don't have to choose between Reaper or Waves. Reaper will win, but still.

Thanks!
zinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Nip

A couple of things that are unclear to me:

1. You use the word "put" the shell in different places.

What do you mean by that?

a) Installer put them there?
b) You copied them yourself to other places?

2. What is your path to the x64 and x86 VST-folders?

Otherwise I read on a couple of places people having problem with individual plugin demos. If it was on a particular host, Reaper or other, I don't remember.

In general I know a couple of synths(not Waves stuff) that had trouble doing authorization unless running host as admin. Try run Reaper as administrator and repeat what you did.

I have a couple of Waves bundles, full versions, x64 Reaper and x64 shell. No issues so far. But never tried the demo stuff.
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
zinfan

Thanks for replying, Nip. I installed the 64 bit shell in the same VST folder as other demos that Reaper has been picking up fine. I simply directed the Waves installer to place it there, so I didn't manipulate anything at all.
I just tried your suggestion of running Reaper as administrator and sadly it still doesn't recognize the Waves shell as being there.
I already called Waves support a week ago, and they acted like they wanted to get me off the phone as quickly as possible once I mentioned Reaper. Strange.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Nip

I just share some things that happend to me installing Waves plugins.

#1. I added both x64 and x86 path to Reaper.
And I got both bridged plugins as well as x64 versions in there.
Double in the list everywhere - with exactly the same name.

It says in Reaper dialog that plugins with the same name will be ignored if multiple.

But names were identical, and I still got both.

So I think there are two levels of names and descriptions somehow, and upper level shows same name, but they differ below that level somehow.

So I felt it was a mistake putting Waves stuff x86 version together with my other x86 plugins - and I created a new folder where I moved all my other x86 ones and entered that in Reaper. I did not know how Waves stuff worked if they used registry to keep track of where it was installed - so I dared not change anything for Waves.

Did a Clear cache and rescan in Reaper, and I only see the x64 versions now.

I did install with Reaper 4.21 and now run 4.22.

Do you use the latest?

#2. When doing changes and want to rescan, using this waves shell which is default for Waves install - you must clear cache and rescan in Reaper or it might think this dll is already in there.

#3. I always run all installers if EXE-files as administrator. This to be sure installer can do everything. UAC stuff may not be handled well by installer and then you might get problems. If not authorized some things may not be done.

This when installing Reaper, Waves stuff or anything.
Just a security measure which is reasy to do. It does not hurt.
When msi-files you need not do anything since it's Windows own installer.

I really have no ideas what to do more...it is sad that Waves does not put more effort into making every customer happy - if running a VST host of some sort.

EDIT: Got I another wild idea:
Are you sure you are running x64 Reaper, and not the x86 Reaper?
Could be a reason not to touch the x64 stuff, I mean.

Last edited by Nip; 05-08-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Wilkesin

From experience I would never put the WaveShells in the same directory with anything else...ever. I installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit WaveShells to their own separate folder with nothing else in them. Point Reaper to the 64 bit WaveShell. Clear cache and rescan. No problems here...

So basically I have waves plugins in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves

32 bit waveshell in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\WaveShell

64 bit waveshell in:
C:\Program Files\Waveshell
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkesin View Post
From experience I would never put the WaveShells in the same directory with anything else...ever. I installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit WaveShells to their own separate folder with nothing else in them. Point Reaper to the 64 bit WaveShell. Clear cache and rescan. No problems here...

So basically I have waves plugins in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves

32 bit waveshell in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\WaveShell

64 bit waveshell in:
C:\Program Files\Waveshell
Same here:

C:\Program Files\Audio Applications\Waves

32 bit waveshell in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Audio Plugs\VST\Waves

64 bit waveshell in:
C:\Program Files\Audio Plugs\VST\Waves

I even renamed the "WaveShell-VST 9.0_x64.dll" to "WaveShell-VST 9.0.dll" so REAPER 64bit didn't have to show the plug-ins twice (32bit and 64bit, only 64bit).
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
zinfan

Thanks! Clearing the cache, putting the shell in a new folder and rescanning did it. However, the cpu is outrageous, at least on the H-EQ. It's showing a consistent 25% when the GUI is up, going with just the Reaper generic sliders drops it to nearly nothing.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfan View Post
Thanks! Clearing the cache, putting the shell in a new folder and rescanning did it. However, the cpu is outrageous, at least on the H-EQ. It's showing a consistent 25% when the GUI is up, going with just the Reaper generic sliders drops it to nearly nothing.
Yeah, the H-EQ eats a lot of CPU cycles if the spectrum analyzer is running. Disable it completely, save this configuration as default using REAPER presets and only turn that analyzer on when it's really needed.