Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
cbg1
Human being with feelings

Default MT Power Drum Kit 2 free down load trying to use with reaper

i found a free download for MT Power Drum Kit 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsmA1cFH5YQ

the instructions say place 2 files in the vst plugin folder and should be good to go.......

i don't find a vst plugin folder but i do find a plugin folder. putting the files there does not seem to work

i'm a newbie an help would be appreciated

cheers
ets
cbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
MarkFromHawaii

I just downloaded Reaper and did the same thing. I place the .dll and .pdk files in the Plugins folder of Reaper. I can't figure out how to use Power Drum Kit 2 as well. Supposedly drag and drop?
MarkFromHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
ivansc

If you are both newbies, it could be because you dont have a default location for your third party vsits declared in reaper or (more likely) you havent had reaper scan that particular location to see if there are plugins there.
Go to prefs and then plugins/vst and scan the location of your new plugins. The plugs there will then show up when you insert a vst/vsti.

And if you didnt already download the free pdf manual, it is a goldmine of useful information. Start delving!

P.S. Johnny Ginese (on here) has some great video tutorials, as does groove3.com. Some free, some cheap....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
rightonthemark

i'll try to help out...
does the mt power drum kit show up in your fx browser under VSTi?
if so great.
then make a track.
click on the fx button.
select mt power drum kit.
it will open up and then yes you can drag & drop each pattern into the track.

if the mt power drum kit is not in your fx browser under VSTi then try this...
create a folder to put all your non-reaper or downloaded VSTs in.
then in preferences in reaper under lug ins & then VST add that location to the vst plug in path.

hopefully the pics below are helpful.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fx browser.jpg (62.9 KB, 17735 views)
File Type: jpg track control2.jpg (7.7 KB, 16825 views)
File Type: jpg pref plug-ins VST.jpg (52.6 KB, 17537 views)
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
MarkFromHawaii

Thanks! I guess it didn't work when I just dropped the 2 files in the Reaper Plugins folder. I created a new folder and moved the files in there, routed Reaper to look for the folder and now the MT drums GUI pops up.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
rightonthemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromHawaii View Post
Thanks! I guess it didn't work when I just dropped the 2 files in the Reaper Plugins folder. I created a new folder and moved the files in there, routed Reaper to look for the folder and now the MT drums GUI pops up.
right on.
glad you got it worked out.
i already had a folder from when i used sonar so i just keep using that folder & it works for me.
\m/
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
MarkFromHawaii

Thanks. I encountered a new problem though. The MT site offered free activation with an online activation code that apparently didn't work with the version a downloaded a couple weeks ago. Without activation a female voice would say: "Demo version" every few seconds. I re-downloaded Power Drum Kit 2 and was able to registers. A tip to those encountering this: Make sure to delete the demo version .dll file.

Copying and inserting the "composed" sample sequences into a track is real easy now.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #8
MarkFromHawaii

Another question: I tried the midi editing of a MT Power DrumKit 2 track in Reaper to create a crescendo using the mouse drag up of "07 Volume MSB". I can see the tick marks ramped up but don't hear any change in volume on playback. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
Fergler

MT power drumkit does not respond to CC7. If you want to make a real crescendo you should be editing the Velocity, not volume.

If you want to edit the volume, do it on the track itself. Press V or click the envelope button in the TCP and enable the volume automation lane, draw points

Edited Velocity:
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Hasan Lafci

I have this plugin too its great for free
Hasan Lafci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
duffman

I have created map for the Alesis DM10 module.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DM10-MTPOWER.zip (271 Bytes, 421 views)
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #12
MarkFromHawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
MT power drumkit does not respond to CC7. If you want to make a real crescendo you should be editing the Velocity, not volume.

If you want to edit the volume, do it on the track itself. Press V or click the envelope button in the TCP and enable the volume automation lane, draw points

Edited Velocity:
Thanks @Fergler. I used the envelope and it worked!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #13
Wilkesin

Is everyone still getting on OK with this plugin? I just found this thread and it seems almost too good to be true.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:42 AM   #14
honza-bassman

Default MT Power Drumkit 2 - Reaper crashing

I am starting with Reaper and so far I love it. Only problem I am getting is when I try to start VST plugin MT POWER DRUMKIT 2, then Reaper imediately crashes. I installed it according to instructions, I can see it in VSTi but when I click on it I get notice: Reaper stopped working.Other VSTs work just fine.

Other people wrote MT Power drumkit 2 worked well in Reaper (and on the MT website is Reaper listed as tested DAW) so I am wondering where is the problem. Any thoughts??
honza-bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #15
ivansc

Since you are just starting out, it might be worth doing ANOTHER download of Reaper and installing it as a portable install. This is a checkbox option when installing the new download. It will create a new folder on C: drive (assuming you are on windows) and will put ALL the new reaper files there.
This means you get to try MT Powerdrums with a factory fresh install without messing up your existing reaper install which will still be there.
If MTPowerdrums works in the new reaper, you have done something to the original install that is causing the problem.
Let us know what happens once you do that.

Oh and just in case you didnt already, download the free reaper manual from the home page here and read the section on getting started/setting up your computer and your paths for recordings, plugins, etc.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #16
honza-bassman

I have tried portable install, I even re-installed Reaper with new version 5.0 from 12. August 2015. The same thing happenning, MT power is in the list of VSTi but Reaper crashes when I click on it...

Of course I have downloaded the manual and gone through the basics. As I said, no other plugins cause any problem and work well. I would give up on MT power drumkit but as it works for other people and seems a great tool, I would like to fix it.

Maybe I will just try somwhere on other computer.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:59 AM   #17
honza-bassman

On other computer everything works using the same installation process.

So probably something in the first computer has issues with MT power (maybe some firewall or something).
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #18
Cinelook

Quote:
Originally Posted by honza-bassman View Post
(...) when I try to start VST plugin MT POWER DRUMKIT 2, then Reaper imediately crashes. I installed it according to instructions, I can see it in VSTi but when I click on it I get notice: Reaper stopped working.Other VSTs work just fine.
I had exactly the same problem. Solved it by moving Drumkit files to a higher level folder (remember to add this folder to your VST path and then "clear cache/rescan" VST's)

If that doesn't work, try right clicking on mt drum kit's .dll file -> properties -> unlock (on "general" tab). Do the same to the .pdk.
Why would this work? In my case at least, the problem was a "BEX64" error. BEX refers to the execute disable feature of your system, protecting you from malocious software (in this case a mistake). So you have to add them manually. And it seems to have some troubles with long paths...

Hope this helps you
Cinelook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #19
Serenitynow

Is this 16 bit or 24 bit?