Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
Gianfini
Human being with feelings

Default Comp issues (Solved - most of...)

Hi all.

I have made up my mind for days before coming to this post. Actually what drives me is that the current reaper (take) COMP implementation is not suited to intense comping work. It's a matter of bugs+missing features that ends up messing comps in the end

CONTEXT
Imagine you have three tracks (e.g. three mics in a recording session) with 5 takes each, and you group the items to allow takes moving along in sync (Reaper v2.24)

ISSUE ONE: COMPS GET MESSY AFTER SPLIT
- I select TAKE 3 of an item as the best take and save is as "COMP A"
- I then want to find a second best but I realize that I have to combine Take 2 and Take 4 to get it. So only way to combine different takes in Reaper is to SPLIT the item so I SPLIT the item and select take 2 for the first part and take 4 for the other
- I save this new setup by selecting both splitted items as "COMP B"
- ISSUE: i can recall COMP A just for the first splitted item, because the second item (coming from the split) doesn't have COMP A attached to it... so I have to re-save again COMP A

POTENTIAL SOLUTION
- solution 1: when splitting give users an option to propagate the COMP present to pre-split items to all resulting split items
- solution 1 (continued): in addition create a visual tool that visually shows which items are belonging to which COMP (e.g. by highlighting them or listing them somewhere) and allows to include/exclude items from comp
- solution 1 (preferred): put a new symbol on item when it belongs to a comp, by clicking on it a scroll-down apperars with ALL COMPS and with mouse-over all other items belonging to that comp highlight
- solution 2: do not oblige splitting items to cross comp takes... as Logic and other DAWs do (I couldn't resist, I know this might be a major complexity improvement)

ISSUE TWO: if you "save as.." a file with COMPS in it moving all files along with it on a portable media, when you open it on another PC comps names GET RESET and show "COMP1, COMP2, COMP3" instead than originally given names
SOLUTION: should fix it

ISSUE THREE: Why on a fresh new file when I sAVE AS NEW COMP.. default numbering gets something like COMP33, following on continous numbering from other files/projects? Shouldn't it reset for each project?

ISSUE FOUR: When ITEMS ARE GROUPED saving a COMP for one item should propagate to all grouped items. Unfortunately this doesn't happen and takes get dis-aligned even if items are grouped (see attach below)

g

Last edited by Gianfini; 11-15-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Solved
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Gianfini

Default 5th COMP ISSUE

I realized there's another undesirable behavior. If you have two items, you save COMP A on item 1 and COMP B with both item selected, when you select both items COMP A appears as well, even if it belongs only to item 1

This creates a problem. For example when we select TAKE 2 on item 1 and save as COMP A, whenever TAKE 2 is active even if we select both items (1+2) REaper believes that COMP A is selected and don't give me the possibility to save an additional COMP, based on TAKE 2 for Item 1 and TAKE xx for Item 2

POTENTIAL SOLUTION:
Management of Comps should be nested. If I select a certain set of items I will see ONLY COMPS that save a configuration for all those selected items, NOT the ones belonging to single items included in the selection (or they should show up with a different color or something).
Definitely a COMP manager would be much desirable!

g

Last edited by Gianfini; 10-10-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Hi all.

I have made up my mind for days before coming to this post. Actually what drives me is that the current reaper (take) COMP implementation is completely un-usable.
Fixed that for you

So, I'm with you %100 that there needs to a lot of improvements to the comping system. There have been a million threads about the issues with REAPER's Takes system - but really the biggest problem with "takes" is that the comping system really fails.

If you have the time to check this out, I've written a script that creates it's own Comp system. This all needs an update - should probably get thi on ReaPack - maybe later this week.

Still, the same issues involved in splitting items are there. I had intended to make sort of a playlist / comp hybrid to possibly fix that issue, however it involved more manipulation of track chunks than I really want to be doing in a script. The potential solution that you outlined in your post has given me another idea to try - so thanks for that - I'll update if I get anywhere with it.

download (from guithub): https://github.com/JamesHEure/Reascript

Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjR1Jr4VSuM

Last edited by James HE; 10-13-2016 at 01:15 PM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
Fixed that for you

So, I'm with you %100 ...
Will have a look to the script an let you know for sure, thanks.

I don't want to say that takes and comping is terrible. I think few right adjustments and it will reach good usability.

For take system, I believe the only BIG thing is to decide to pass to a take comping which is not driven by actual item splitting (see Logic Pro swiping method). This would potentially require a HUGE design and programming effort, so for the moment being devs should focus at improving what we have, listening to everybody

For my workflow, already addressing those 5 issues above would be a material improvement

g
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Fixes for most of these issues coming soon!

Last edited by Justin; 10-12-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks Justin! looking forward to test it.

g
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
exciting!
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

quantum leap would be that cross-fades between takes are no longer done via one global fade per item but preserved on an individual cross-fade per-take basis - while comping and also while switching takes manually!
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
Gianfini

Default Solved (mainly..)

Ok,just to follow up, couple of versione down the road

-ISSUE 1 - SOLVED
-ISSUE 2 - SOLVED
-ISSUE 3 - SOLVED
-ISSUE 4 - SOLVED

What is still keeping us apart from a higly performing comp system is the ability to visually show the different COMPS active on an item or item set, through overlay boundaries or through a "COMP Manager" window

I understand this point is more in the FR area than in the BF...

g