Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
jalan
Human being with feelings

Default First clip in forever

Short, metal-y thing for the end credits of a friends movie. Let me know what you think -- and if you have tips on how to add width/space to a track that was recorded entirely direct, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/30secrets/iag-credits/s-9KB35
Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
sammydix

The song itself is really cool, but it sounds "small." I mean like everyone is crowded into a tiny, non-reflecting room, hardly any breathing space. How much compression do you use on average? I would guess to slack off a cupla db's all around. Other than the 'smallness' it sounds damn good. Ended kinda weird...
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
martinmadero

really like the guitars disto sound!!
what vst do you use?
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
The song itself is really cool, but it sounds "small."
Hmm. Was gonna to say the exact opposite thing. Those guitars are gigantic. Modern heavy mixes like this don't really try to pretend it's a band playing in the room, everything is kinda close, but still huge.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
trevlyns

I think it sounds great - only change I would make is to up the volume on that 'featured' bass part. Great tone but a little buried.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #6
jalan

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
The song itself is really cool, but it sounds "small." I mean like everyone is crowded into a tiny, non-reflecting room, hardly any breathing space. How much compression do you use on average? I would guess to slack off a cupla db's all around. Other than the 'smallness' it sounds damn good. Ended kinda weird...
That's exactly what I was thinking, sammydix. Not sure I'd say "small" -- maybe "narrow". I don't use a ton of compression on the individual instruments (none on the guitars), but I did slam the 'maximizer' on the master bus to get it up to modern standards for volume, which I'm sure isn't great. In terms of the ending, it'll fade out before it gets there

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
really like the guitars disto sound!!
what vst do you use?
Thanks! It's a little more gain than I usually use, but I needed it for my Zakk Wylde impersonation I swear by the TSE X-50. I used the free version forever, and still endorse it if it's available, but I bought the latest version a while back. I'd got enough miles out of the free one that they definitely earned my money and the paid version has some nice extra features and a ton of cab impulses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Hmm. Was gonna to say the exact opposite thing. Those guitars are gigantic. Modern heavy mixes like this don't really try to pretend it's a band playing in the room, everything is kinda close, but still huge.
Agree that the guitars are big, but can see what sammydix is saying. The guitars are fully panned and the drums are spread out as well, but I'd still like to get a little more width/air/space :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
I think it sounds great - only change I would make is to up the volume on that 'featured' bass part. Great tone but a little buried.
Thanks, trevlyns. I'll have to listen to that section again. Chances are I may have undermixed it a little to hide my sloppy playing.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Bass6

For width on a budget you could do worse than Variety of Sound's 'Baxter EQ'. It's a mid-side EQ which I've had some success with - subtle but noticeable, just don't slam it or it sounds bogus.
I'd also say ride the automation on the little bass part at the end - such a nice crunchy sound but you can't really hear it.
Other than that, really solid job man, nice.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
jalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass6 View Post
For width on a budget you could do worse than Variety of Sound's 'Baxter EQ'.
Funny you mention that -- I just toyed with it a bit last night. Made a subtle difference, but not as much as I was hoping for.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
BCF1

I dig it !!
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote