Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
lovesreaper
Human being with feelings

Default media explorer, inserting a loop where its playing

hello,

its like this:

my song has a part looped and its playing. ive opened up media explorer, found a sound i like, and looped a portion of it. it sounds great. tempo match is on and the two loops are syncing perfectly. so id like to insert that portion into the song exactly as im hearing it playing. and thats the problem.
is there a key i have to hold? it seems like im missing something along those lines. "insert loop as previewed" would be the options name...

i found that i can route the auditioning signal through a channel, but i cant record that, can i? thats the closest ive gotten to figuring this out. its playing from the media explorer, i can see its levels are coming through, now how to hard copy that...

anyone? ive been reading these forums all day and havnt found anything past 2010 around this topic. no solutions.
lovesreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Win Conway

You just drag n drop the selected area to a track.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Outboarder

Hi

If you want to record what you hear ,Right click on track record button and select Record output (stereo).

I see you are new to reaper(welcome to the forum), I advice you to Right click on every track panel buttons ( Mute Solo Pan Vol IO Trim monitor Fx) to discover hidden features.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
lovesreaper

thanks outboard, that works! its not picking up any noise along the way is it? im not that new to reaper but yeah, i discover new features as im problem solving thanks for the warm welcome though.

as for drag and drop, looks like it inserts the loop where ever it wants. i mean i can place it where i want but it lost the sync. is there something else im missing? is there a specific place to drop to? this would be faster than routing through a channel, recording and rendering.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #5
vanhaze

A - Make sure the Edit Cursor in Arrange is placed exactly on the spot where you want
the looped portion to be placed, for example, start of measure.

B - In Media Explorer, rightmouse click on the looped portion and choose:
"insert selected portion into project (loop enabled)"

The looped portion will now be placed at the currently selected track in Arrange, with it's startpoint at the position of the edit cursor.

If you want the looped portion to be placed on a new track, do this:
Open Action List, section Media Explorer and search for this Action:
"Browser: Browse selected folder, or insert selected media file"

You can assign this Action to a keycommand.
For instance, skipping step B and hitting that keycommand wil do this:
The looped portion will now be placed on a new created track in Arrange, with it's startpoint at the position of the edit cursor.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:34 AM   #6
lovesreaper

so, none of these methods work

the only way ive found is to use a "total recorder" type standalone, record a sum of whats going on, import that in reaper, and PAINFULLY align the waveforms.

Outboarder:
its picking up noise and is a little off, to the right. ended up opening the can of worms that is buffering..i fugured out that is a set distance everytime, and aligning it is pretty simple, but when i insert the original wav next to it, i can see and hear the distortion.

Vanhaze: also a little off. i dont get it, it should be inserting exactly whats playing, where its playing, but when i click insert..poof, groove's gone. when i inspect the waveform, off.

so is that it, im just going to have to be a real musician arent i?

now if only i could find a vsti sampler that doesnt change to timber of the sample its playing...cause that where this whole issue started. looking for something like phatmatik pro interfacewise, reapers samplomatic soundwise(why doesnt it do multisamples!?).
Old 05-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #7
Ulf3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesreaper View Post
so, none of these methods work

the only way ive found is to use a "total recorder" type standalone, record a sum of whats going on, import that in reaper, and PAINFULLY align the waveforms.

Outboarder:
its picking up noise and is a little off, to the right. ended up opening the can of worms that is buffering..i fugured out that is a set distance everytime, and aligning it is pretty simple, but when i insert the original wav next to it, i can see and hear the distortion.

Vanhaze: also a little off. i dont get it, it should be inserting exactly whats playing, where its playing, but when i click insert..poof, groove's gone. when i inspect the waveform, off.

so is that it, im just going to have to be a real musician arent i?

now if only i could find a vsti sampler that doesnt change to timber of the sample its playing...cause that where this whole issue started. looking for something like phatmatik pro interfacewise, reapers samplomatic soundwise(why doesnt it do multisamples!?).
works perfectly , i just tried it with a few samples ... drag n drop and via context menu .. looping works perfect the sound is exactly the same

when you ad it to the project itll be resampled and copied into the project folder .. maybe that or could it be that you changed the default pitch algorythm ?
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
lovesreaper

wow, i did change the default pitch algorythm...which one was the default? how is that affecting the placement? a node is a node right?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
Outboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesreaper View Post
Outboarder:
I don't know how you did it or what effects did you use ,and how much latency you have.
but when i do the same the recorded audio phase cancel the original(even without adjusting position) , means both are perfectly identical.

can you post screen shot ?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
lovesreaper

wow, no i can not post a screenshot like that. pretty awesome...
but i dont see your media explorer in there, my situation is this:

for example:
2 bars are looped in reapers arrange view
i open up media explorer (loop is still playing)
i browse some wavs and find one i like.
i loop a portion of it in media explorers little wav editor.(loop in arr is still playing)
so i have the two loops playing together.
now i want the loop from media explorer to be imported into arrange view at exactly the position im hearing it in.

when i set media explorers preview output to "selected track" , everythings still fine. i set up "record output" as you instructed and it works. but im not getting silence on a flipped waveform overlay as you are. even after i realign to compensate for the buffer.

update: i didnt change the default pitch algorythm after all. its been using "default". i was changing them per clip, which i recommend. should do it more often actually.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
Outboarder

I wish I could help you more but I don't know why you have latency.
maybe it's related to resampling.