Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Envelope changes not confined to first touched location

Reaper v5.40 and earlier, probably all systems. This is a systemic issue.

Problem/Bug

You run transport and make minute changes on any (activated&armed) parameter in Latch mode.

The "Reduce points" option is on.

Reaper will often REMOVE the first automation point where the operator touched the controls.

The result is that the envelope before the first touch is slightly influenced depending on the direction the operator changed the parameters value.

So if VOLUME had 0.00dB at the start of the session and the operator moved the volume up slightly somewhere further down the timeline, and the first touched location is "optimized" away, the volume curve may have a slight linear(default) rise to 0.2dB which is what the first envelope point Reaper decided not to optimized away actually is.

Consequences

Some plugins are VERY crappy at interpolation or are not designed to handle continuous changes for some parameters. Reverbs for example have some of those, such as room type. In my case it's Aether by 2CAudio, Acon Digitals Multiply and hopefully none other.

Suggested/requested remedy

Don't mess with the first touched point and the loop-out point, if that happens. Never optimize at that location. Perhaps the optimization should be done after a loop around or transport stop too. Why screw around live.

Last edited by airon; 05-15-2017 at 01:53 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
airon

I should have also stated that Reaper is set to create envelope at the start and end.... something in the automation preferences. I'll edit this post with a shot the that prefs page when I'm back at my rig.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
airon

I do realize this is a design thing, but it does play out like a bug in sessions.

Will the automatic "reduce points" function not optimize away the first envelope point at some point in the future?

It is paramount that fx parameter data not be disturbed where it should not be, if I so choose.

I presumed that the "When recording automation and stopped" setting would control that as well, but it does not work the way I need it to.

Did I describe this well enough ?